Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » How big is USS Huron? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How big is USS Huron?
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
These schematics I drew when I was about 13 years old (during the original airing of the episode in question) puts this ship at about 100 m.
 -

You win the thread with your über geek cred. [Wink]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bridge with no captain's chair!?! Folly I say.

It appears to be elliptical in shape rather than circular. Unless the forward area of the bridge extends way out. If so, perhaps there are more stations up there devoted to cargo management or docking control or something.

And maybe someone just moved the captain's chair for cleaning or something.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other thing has popped into my head - if the nacelles are scaled to the same size as those on the cargo drone/USS Antares/Woden the Huron comes out shorter (about 85% of the cargo drone). So again, it suggests a titchy ship, a bit over 110 meters long.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, that makes a lot of sense. Reusing the nacelles seems like something Starfleet would do.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Robot ship is 115 m long. If the nacelles are the same length, I get a length of 95.5 m for Huron.

-

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sir, are a robot ship.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why, thank you, sir!

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Ginger Beacon's put his money on 110 to 125 m. Anyone else want to get some bets in?

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at that comparison where they have identical nacelles, I think that works out about right. The aft section of the Huron looks like it's got similar volume to the robot ship, and since Huron seemed to have a small crew (a half dozen or so?) then that would make sense.

But I could still see that Huron being a little larger, too. Because the nacelles are basically flat cylinders, they don't HAVE to be exactly the same size. Even if it would be simpler if they were.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Crew size isn't necessarily correlated with ship size. The nearly 500-m-long oil tanker Knock Nevis/Jahre Viking (et al) had a crew of only 40. The largest container ship, Emma Maersk, has a crew of only 13. On the other hand, the largest 19th century ships of the line were less than 100 m long but had crews of more than 1000.

Windows and nacelles are size indicators that the learned starship theoreticians of Flare should have advanced beyond! (or so I thought). I'm talking Gestalt here, people. If you had only the shape of the ship (without windows or nacelles on other ships), how big do you think Huron is?

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I said before, it's size should be easily determined by it's function, not window size or crew numbers. Since it was apparantly more of a light to medium courier, I'd say the 110 - 125m range would be about right. The similar nacelle size to the Antares/robot-tug is just a bonus and not IMO a determining factor either.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's bigger than my penis, does that help the metrics move along?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends. Is your penis over 110 meters long?

(I tried to resist, but his trap was so perfect)

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the Antares/Woden from TOR, then I could concur with a 95 to 100m length. (Recall that earlier in the thread I was against unnecessary downscaling from 260m . . . but the TOR references are my tipping point.)

It wouldn't hurt the window situation too badly, would fit an existing nacelle size, would keep the funny appendages and tubes on the underside from seeming quite so absurd (the bigger they are, the more ridiculous are their structural or SIF requirements), and would also help fill an odd gap wherein you don't get many Starfleet vessels between 20 and 120-or-so meters.

And last but not least, it would roll alongside Masao's drawing from however-many-years-ago, which I consider a good bonus.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
If you had only the shape of the ship (without windows or nacelles on other ships), how big do you think Huron is?

I'd go with BIG.
Use the Enterprise's nacelles as the matching point for the two and extrapolate from there.
After all, the Huron is crewed- if it's no bigger than a robot ship, why bother with people at all? Just use a robot ship.

I'd also give the ship some slight defensive capactity to go with it having crew- maybe the Huron ships valuable cargo only- antimatter storage pods, ship parts that have tactical importance, etc. that cant be trusted to a easily-hijacked robot ship.

Or maybe each Huron type ship serves as a mobile factory for robot ships...confusing Klingons by churning out robot ships of all sizes but in differing scales: changing the window sizes on each, making Klingon Intel look incompetent.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps