Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » How big is USS Huron? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: How big is USS Huron?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you answered your own question, Jason— why make the Huron the same size as the robot ship? Well, even if it's the same size it would be useful to have a crew for defensive situations.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robots do not need any mewling meatbag "defenses"- we...er...they care only for offensive weaponry!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that after the M-5, us meatbags know better than to give a robot a fully-charged phaser bank. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Robots do not need any mewling meatbag "defenses"- we...er...they care only for offensive weaponry!

May I see the results of your empathy test sir...
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
quote:

May I see the results of your empathy test sir...
Only if his test results are larger than my penis...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The imaginary turtle from the void/comp test has a bigger penis than your (probably imaginary) one.

Wait! I mean tortoise!

Yes...it was a tortoise ....heh heh..silly me...

(starts sweating, looks agitated- shoots Pensive and Mars, runs away)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A 110-m ship allows 4 decks in the main part of the ship. I've adjusted the windows to fit.

-

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

What about that lower-aft finlike structure?
Is that thick enough to have crew quarters or rec rooms or something?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It measures 21 x 11 m at the top and 11 x 6 m at the base.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it were me I'd make that ventral structure some sort of docking tower. Perhaps for a cargo elevator and/or a deuterium pump so it can act as a tender.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i still just dont get the design period. you haul cargo? how much cargo? & where? (beautiful coloring however, Masao)

In terms of equating real-life to this ship, i don't think this ship would be one of the most popular models on the market, if you're a freight hauler...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

That looks quite reasonable to me, Masao.

I like Rev's idea of the docking tower, but I'm not sure how well that would work unless there were some kind of major extensible boom mounted internally. I doubt that the Huron could maneuver that close to a Constitution without bumping into the nacelles.

Speaking of which, anyone have ideas for what those forward boom-like things are supposed to be fore? The closest that I can think of in the Museum lineage is auxiliary directional warp nacelles, but I dunno if a ship like that would really need them. Maybe those are the transfer conduits? Except that the pylons seem rather thin for cargo transfer...

But then again, why would they need to have a physical airlock for cargo transfer anyway? They've got frickin' transporters! [Wink]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I like Rev's idea of the docking tower, but I'm not sure how well that would work unless there were some kind of major extensible boom mounted internally. I doubt that the Huron could maneuver that close to a Constitution without bumping into the nacelles.
Considering there's no dorsal hatch on the secondary hull, it wouldn't have a reason to go anywhere near the nacelles. The ventral hatches on the other hand would not present a problem. I mean it's not as if the two ships' gravity fields have to be aligned to transfer cargo so in theoty it can dock just about anywhere.
quote:
Speaking of which, anyone have ideas for what those forward boom-like things are supposed to be fore? The closest that I can think of in the Museum lineage is auxiliary directional warp nacelles, but I dunno if a ship like that would really need them. Maybe those are the transfer conduits? Except that the pylons seem rather thin for cargo transfer...
Personally I'd go for either refuelling booms (retracted) or heavy tractor beam mounts. Of course if it was anything but a freighter I'd say sensor pods. If the ship supported trains of cargo modules then secondary warp field controllers (not quite fully fledged nacelles) to adjust the bubble to accommodate said pods.
quote:
But then again, why would they need to have a physical airlock for cargo transfer anyway? They've got frickin' transporters! [Wink]
The same reason they have shuttles I suppose. Even by the late 24th century when they had transporters that could beam massive loads starships were still equipped with expansive shuttle and cargo bays with exterior space doors. I suppose it comes down to energy efficiency, the fact that not everything reacts well to transporters and perhaps a lingering unwillingness to become totally reliant on the technology.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, the whole design of the thing seems hap-hazard. Like those "stalks" at the front, are those supposed to be where the impulse engines are? I find the robot cargo ships to better in terms of size and shape vs. use.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
quote:

It measures 21 x 11 m at the top and 11 x 6 m at the base.
Thicker than the Connie's neck at the widest point then- room for something.
Could make a nice ampitheatre (if it were oriented along the z axis and gravity were adjusted to match).
quote:
Personally I'd go for either refuelling booms (retracted) or heavy tractor beam mounts. Of course if it was anything but a freighter I'd say sensor pods. If the ship supported trains of cargo modules then secondary warp field controllers (not quite fully fledged nacelles) to adjust the bubble to accommodate said pods.
Maybe it helps maintain the warp field when transporting super-massive cargo...or, possibly, the mini-nacelles are attached to that forward "saucer" section and serve as an escape pod- though I'd think there are hull plates covering the seperation point between the "saucer" and the rest of the ship for that totally detail-less look we all love about TOS. [Wink]
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps