Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A new DS9 kitbash! (and more to come...) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A new DS9 kitbash! (and more to come...)
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
What a nice man.

It's amazing that after all these years there are still models we've yet to see, or even know exist. Makes me wonder if some other things will ever come to light, like the alternate version of the Emissary Borg battle that's rumoured to have been filmed in part, or at least had models built for it.

Yeah, Adam Buckner is a cool guy, and he was extremely patient with my quarter-monthly email reminders to him about the models. I'm currently in the same boat with Dan Curry, but he's being nice too. If only I had contacted him beofre he moved! [Smile]

I seriously doubt we'll ever see the lost Wolf 359 footage from Emissary. And even if we did, I doubt there'd be anything new. When I originally emailed Rob Legato, he really had very little recollection of the scene, as opposed to what he stated in the DS9 Compendium. Okuda also stated that no new models were built, and I believe him. I used to think that there might have been an Ambassador-ized kitbash for the U.S.S. Gage, until I found out that AMT didn't come out with an Ent-C model kit until a year before DS9 ended [Frown]

However, the last person who emailed me bandied about the names "Ptolemy" and "Tolstoy," the latter of which I'm curious about because we all know there was no Tolstoy. [Confused]

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was lost footage of Wold 359, I never knew that.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...this is news to me as well.
Must we extract Mr. Okuda's molars to learn the truth of this matter?

I'm sensing a Flare Roadtrip!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it safe? Is it Safe!!!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I swear to GOD!" I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!! WE NEVER FIL....AAAGGHHH!!"

sigh...That is the incorrect answer, Mr. Okuda.
Shall we extract the third molar?
Yessss....I need some suction and a clamp, Mr. Dukhat. Mars, bring me the #7 drillbit, wont you?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
There was lost footage of Wold 359, I never knew that.

In a nutshell, Rob Legato (then VFX head for DS9) was told to film a battle scene for the opener of "Emissary" where the Saratoga was in the middle of the battle, with debris and burning ships all around. The script then got changed to having the Saratoga, Melbourne, et. al just starting the battle, which is the version we all saw. It was explained pretty clearly in the DS9 Companion.

Anyway, I had asked both Legato and Okuda about the unused footage. Despite what he told the author of the book, he really had very little recollection of the scene; all he really remembered was that the damaged version of the Reliant from TWOK was possibly used as one of the ships. Okuda stated that no new models were constructed specifically for this shot (meaning whatever was used was just stuff already lying around, like with the "Unification" surplus depot scenes).

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work, Dukkie, thanks for continuing to probe into this kind of thing and sharing your results!

Regarding this bit...

quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Although there's an interesting story with the Centaur. Buckner was originally going to build a different model for it, but a young boy asked if he could build a model for him. So Buckner gave the boy the model that he was working on, and then built the Centaur as a replacement.

...and I'm only pointing this out for accuracy's sake, not to nitpick you...

What it actually says on Buckner's site is:
quote:
http://www.adambuckner.com/USS_Buckner.html#0:
The USS Buckner was a ship I built while at Paramount working on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine for a little boy who wanted a Star Trek ship. Gary Hutzel saw the ship and asked if it could be featured in one of his upcoming episodes. I let Gary use the ship. He added the green fluorescent tape for windows and the pink fluorescent paint for engines. As this ship would now be a shooting model, a produced a second model which I sent on to the boy as promised.

So it sounds to me like the model he gave to the boy was a second one built after the one used for the show, not the other way around.

Thanks again for your continuing efforts to bring this stuff to light!

--MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have loved to see this utilitarian ship on screen. Perhaps instead of the Curry.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first saw that pic, I thought, "Those are some off-color nacelles!" But upon re-reading the post, I realize those are cargo pods. That would have been nice to see at Starbase 375 as a logistics ship for Operation Return.

--------------------
Meh

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:

So it sounds to me like the model he gave to the boy was a second one built after the one used for the show, not the other way around.

Yeah, I misremembered the story.

Anyway, here's a link to some new models. Enjoy!

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.