Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » More DS9 kitbashy goodness! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: More DS9 kitbashy goodness!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Possible concept art of the Titan from Nemesis, drawn by Rick "Sterngazer" Sternbach (although crudely drawn, I like it better than Sean Torangeau's version)."

OMG! The USS Fly-swatter!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Boldly Flipping Burgers Where No one has Flipped Burgers Before!"

That sketch says something like "Emergency concept shuttle for Nemesis" so I doubt it's supposed to be a starship.
Maybe a repair ship with cargo towing capacity under that long neck?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
"Boldly Flipping Burgers Where No one has Flipped Burgers Before!"

That sketch says something like "Emergency concept shuttle for Nemesis" so I doubt it's supposed to be a starship.
Maybe a repair ship with cargo towing capacity under that long neck?

Actually, it says "Riker's ship Emergency Concept - Sternbach #C8 NEMESIS"

You're seeing the word "shuttle" where it's actually Sternbach's signature. Also, it looks way too big to be a shuttle, not to mention it has a name and registry number on the shovel head...er, saucer section.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all - I know this is a pretty old thread, but I wanted to share a couple of schematics I put together for Dukhat's Tolstoy and Ptolemy kitbashes. I hope these designs come close to the spirit in which their source material was built:

USS Tolstoy
USS Ptolemy

Enjoy!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, and thank you for the nice schematics!
137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much! [Smile]
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 137th Gebirg:
Hello all - I know this is a pretty old thread, but I wanted to share a couple of schematics I put together for Dukhat's Tolstoy and Ptolemy kitbashes. I hope these designs come close to the spirit in which their source material was built:

USS Tolstoy
USS Ptolemy

Enjoy!

Hey, those are great! [Smile]

However, I've made a few small changes since I built those models. For the Ptolemy, I added a secondary hull directly underneath the saucer out of a small Flying Sub model kit from "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea." The original intent was for the Typhoon sub to be the secondary hull, but it was far too big and long in comparison to the saucer, so that's why I came up with the idea that it was a cargo container instead. (And it's now a detachable one-nacelled Starliner a la Franz Joseph, with windows and an "Astral Queen" decal on the side)

I'm also in the process of building a different version of the Tolstoy, based on a design that Ed Miarecki actually built but didn't use for the BoBW fleet. It was made from two 1/2500 Enterprise-D saucers and necks, with one 1/1400 Enterprise-D nacelle in-between. The Tolstoy I built will be renamed and re-registered with one of the other NCC-5XXXX conjectural class ships, like the Korolev class Goddard or the Chimera class Portland.

If you want any reference photos or schematics, let me know and I'll post them.

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

^^^ Please do, and thanks very much - always nice to know I was able to make them as close as possible to the original intent of the design.

I can make a new schematic for the Ptolemy and make it an "upgrade". As for the other one, are you referring to this? It was a schematic made by someone named "Trebuche" called the Cerebus. Didn't know it originally came from Miarecki, though. Good to know, and thanks again!

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

^Yep, that's the one. Here's the story behind it (or as best as I can recall):

Back when we were doing the Wolf 359 research, one of the contributors was a guy named Markus Nee. He and Miarecki attended the same model-building club, and he actually saw the BoBW kitbashes first-hand. He told us that he also saw a half-completed model which consisted of "two Galaxy saucers with nacelles in between...sort of the Starfleet version of the Romulan Warbird" (paraphrasing here). He wasn't real specific with the details though, so I assumed the ship was built from two 1/1400 saucers and two 1/1400 nacelles on either side between the two. Because of the unfinished nature of the model, Markus didn't think it was used in the episode, which was confirmed by Okuda who stated that Ed only gave him the five models we know of.

Later on, apparently this Trebuche person did find out from Markus that the model was in fact built from two smaller 1/2500 saucers and only one 1/1400 nacelle attached to each of the saucer necks. I'm assuming that it also has at least one 1/1400 bridge module as well, because if it was scaled to the saucers, then that nacelle would be absolutely enormous. I have all the parts to build it, but between some other model projects and life in general, I probably won't be getting to it anytime soon. Since this design did originate with Miarecki while my design was strictly made up, I decided that this ship should be the better candidate for the Tolstoy.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a long time. I am glad that the login data was still stored in the browser.

I have recently updated all screen caps of Wolf 359, and we can recognize a few more details.
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/thebestofbothworldsii/08-thebestofbothworldsii-9-r.jpg

Anyway, we can see one more ship to the left of the supposed Chekov, which could be the mysterious ship with the two saucers, with only one saucer. Two people independently e-mailed me with this suggestion.

Here is what Andrew McDonald (http://humminganeptune.blogspot.com/) suggested:
I was not aware of this model and its tale. I am skeptical, but intrigued. In the final screenshot in your Wolf 359 Overview, the one with the Firebrand but lacking the Constitution hull, there is a far distant object directly below the Melbourne and left of the Chekov that could fit the unfinished Miarecki model mentioned on Flare. It could be the Ahwahnee, but one of the neck/pylons/nacelles assemblies would have to have been removed. This is unlikely, since three of the Ahwahnee's nacelles are clearly visible when the ship is on the viewscreen. However, this enigma could be the unfinished model, lacking one of the neck/saucer assemblies. This would be consistant with the model's reportedly unfinished status.

Alice Orban sketched up the ship and fixed the orientation, so it is now a Galaxy saucer with an inverted neck on top and one nacelle on top.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

^I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the ship in question is the Ahwahnee. In the screencaps of the actual filmed scene, the (lack of) lighting obscures the lower nacelles, just like the (lack of) lighting obscured the Chekov's secondary hull. However, in the different VFX passes shown in the BoBW BD special features, the lighting is better and I can (somewhat) clearly see the model's lower nacelles. I finally got a BluRay drive and ripped the special features section to an MP4 and made screencaps of the VFX passes, which I'll post ASAP. I'd still be interested in seeing Alice's sketch, though.

Anyway, an observation about the scenes: I've pretty much been able to identify every single ship or piece of debris, save one: the mystery object that appears first above the Kyushu, and then later above the Buran. I speculated not long ago that it was the shuttle Kotoi, but now I'm not so sure. The frustrating thing is that while the VFX passes show almost every ship in good detail (especially the Buran), both this object and the Ahwahnee can hardly be seen at all, so I have no idea what it is save for a dark blurry shape that looks like a flat saucer-like object with two nacelles underneath, like a Miranda. Of course it can't be that since the AMT Reliant model kit didn't come out until years after BoBW. It's also possible that the object is one of the pieces of saucer cut off of another ship. Again, due to the (lack of) lighting, it's just too hard to tell what it is.

Also, I'm also pretty sure that the Melbourne's smaller nacelles are actually on some type of extension at the back of the saucer, and not at the end of the secondary hull (they look like they're much higher above the ship relative to the back of the secondary hull). The shot of the model in "Emissary" also seems to confirm this, and I remember Markus saying that was the case as well. If only that false-color photo of the model was true-color! [Smile]

[ January 14, 2014, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

If this pic is of the original (and it appears to be based on the surrounding set decoration), it does appear to show the little engines on an extension behind and slightly above the saucer and not attached to the secondary hull. It also seems to have a full-sized Galaxy secondary hull, as opposed to the more stubby version that other Nebulas use. This schematic from Trebuche seems to accurately show the engine details, sans Galaxy hull. This one from TNG's "Future Imperfect" episode is too vague to tell anything for sure, engines or secondary hull.

Then there's also this odd one from a late-season DS9 episode, which also appears to have a Galaxy-style secondary hull and a different kind of AWAX attachment above it.

I'm guessing that the DS9 model is the same one, just that someone pulled off the smaller engines and added a new kind of rear pod.

Crap! I just realized I'm going to have to make some new schematics to cover these other variants. Sheesh!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the picture that Alice sent me:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/temp/rigel-maybe.jpg

I can't recognize anything but one pylon and nacelle on the ship when I increase the gamma of the available caps. But I will try the extra features.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
Originally posted by 137th Gebirg:
If this pic is of the original (and it appears to be based on the surrounding set decoration), it does appear to show the little engines on an extension behind and slightly above the saucer and not attached to the secondary hull.

That's actually the second of two Melbourne models Miarecki built. It was used for "Future Imperfect" as you noted. AFAIK, the only difference between this model and the one Okuda damaged for BoBW is the placement of the aforementioned smaller nacelles. Like this model, I think the other one had nacelles attached to the rear of the saucer too, just farther back and possibly higher up.

quote:
Then there's also this odd one from a late-season DS9 episode, which also appears to have a Galaxy-style secondary hull and a different kind of AWAX attachment above it.

I'm guessing that the DS9 model is the same one, just that someone pulled off the smaller engines and added a new kind of rear pod.

Yeah, it's the same model. Obviously by the time it was being used as set decoration in DS9 someone altered it to look more like the filming model.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Here's one of the screencaps I took:

-

I know it's still kinda blurry, but I can make out the same nacelles under the saucer of the model in question (or at least I could see it on my large HDTV...)

Here's some of the Buran. Judging from its registry number, the ship was filmed upside down:

-

-

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps