Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » More DS9 kitbashy goodness! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: More DS9 kitbashy goodness!
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I´m sorry, caps of a model shoot? Really? Are there more?
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're caps I made after ripping the BluRay special features onto my hard drive. I can make more or I can upload the MP4 file somewhere.

Also, I think I've figured out what that mystery object is that I had pointed out earlier. The problem was that I was looking at it the wrong way; I assumed that it was either a Starfleet ship or part of one. But the more I look at it the more it looks like the aft end of an AMT TMP Klingon battlecruiser model, without the "shuttlebay" thingie on top (which would leave a square black hole just like what I see on the top of the object), and facing away from the camera, with just the port nacelle. The battlecruiser model kit would have been readily available at the time. Unfortunately I do not have one myself to replicate the way it's facing the camera or the parts that were (and were not) used.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one would like to see more caps if possible!
Question: in this pic: http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/season-4/4x01/the-best-of-both-worlds-part-two-hd-156.jpg
to the far right-bottom corner of the view-screen is a wreck that I think is not covered in Bernd´s excellent overview. What is it?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just a (generic) piece of debries. I don't think it is an actual piece of a known starship class.
137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: The prolific Nebula variants, I've put together some orthos (largely using Trebuche parts and other components) based on the sparse screen caps out there, as well as the stuff that's already been documented on Ex Astris. Here's a preview of what I'm going to be publishing on the SSDB soon:

USS Melbourne at Wolf 359
Nebula Prototype Variant 1 (Future Imperfect Desk Model)
Nebula Prototype Variant 2 (DS9 Desk Model)

For the last one, I don't have a clear picture on whether or not it has a standard nebula pod or something different, so I went with the standard one for now. If any other additional source info ever pops up, I will update accordingly.

And, of course, the other established and widely-known variants:
Standard Nebula Class
USS Phoenix
USS Bonchune (CG version from "Ship in a Bottle")

I think that about covers all the ones that have been identified so far. Enjoy! [Smile]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Great sketches there! I don't remember seeing the 5-view diagram of the CGI model of the Bonchune before...it's quite different from the physical model.

I will say one thing: I'm still not convinced that the "USS Melbourne at Wolf 359" has its smaller nacelles at the end of the secondary hull. Judging from the angle we see the ship in BoBW, it looks to me that while they are further back than the "Future Imperfect Desk Model's" nacelles, they are also higher up and on some kind of extension piece. That's what I see, anyway.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much! [Smile]

The Bonchune came directly from DrexFiles before he sadly took the whole site down. I was fortunate enough to have scoured the whole site for ship images, both CG and original studio filming models before it went away.

Last week, I would have agreed with you re: Melbourne nacelle placement, but then I came across this image of the Melbourne top-side which really seems to show two of the smaller engines, very close together, attached to the tail-end of a Galaxy-style secondary hull. The bottom view shows it to be a Galaxy hull and not the more stubby Nebula hull. These two images, plus this one are what I based the final side view sketch on, for what it's worth. I agree that the source material has never been too terribly clear, but I am about 85% sure of the engine placement on is one for what I have found.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Ok, for some reason I can't post the Memory Alpha link to the Nebula class Melbourne. Just Google it [Smile]

Anyway, some observations:

1. If you look at the pic of the Melbourne with Sisko on the escape pod, you can see a protuberance sticking out from behind the saucer. That's what I think the small nacelles are attached to (you can see this better in the actual played scene when the ship is is motion). You can see it even better when the Saratoga explodes and there's more light in the scene.

2. The pic of Sisko touching the Melbourne model in his office: It looks like the original small nacelles and pylons are actually still there; there's just some other new piece that's sticking up above them. It looks like the warp grilles and the bussard collectors have been repainted to match the color of the rest of the ship. I don't think there's a new awacs pod there.

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

1. I've mulled over that image you mention and I always seem to have a hard time gauging the spacial orientation of that ship to get a good idea of where those smaller engines are located. I may have to revisit that one later on. With any luck, perhaps one day they will make an HD Blu-Ray set for DS9 - although I suspect there is no guarantee that they'll expend the effort to reproduce every single kitbash ever made for that show. I'm still curious if the remastered BoBW2 will have any of these things. Has anyone seen screen caps of the 359 graveyard yet? It would be a great source of material...

2. Holy crap, I see it now! I found the exact pic you're referring to (and the episode it was in too - "Til Death Do Us Part") and they are definitely the little engines, just like Riker's model, but when the hell is that thing jutting up from between them? It kind of looks like an airfoil or smokestack of some kind. Very odd. I wonder if it's supposed to be something like what was attached to this Voyager concept - an "Absorption Shield Emitter".

Edit - created updated drawing based on that photo. To be honest, I have no idea what that extra thing is between the engines. This is just a best guess until we ever wind up seeing an HD version of that scene.

[ January 27, 2014, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: 137th Gebirg ]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
Originally posted by 137th Gebirg:

I'm still curious if the remastered BoBW2 will have any of these things. Has anyone seen screen caps of the 359 graveyard yet? It would be a great source of material...

You did see the BD screencaps I posted in this very same thread, haven't you?

--------------------

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

I could only find the one from Bernd when he initially announced the new caps on Ex Astris. For some reason it didn't register.

In any case, I did wind up looking at them on TrekCore and it didn't really seem to give much extra definitive insight of where the small engines are located - it's just too far off in the distance. If it's CG, it's probably lower poly and the VFX guys didn't want to make it too obvious.

To date, only this pic seems to give the best view of the top of the original miniature.

It's sad that source material is so sparse on these things... [Frown]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

-

So here's the best, largest image I could create of the Melbourne as seen in Emissary. The port side of the saucer is pointed toward the camera, and the protuberance I'm talking about sticks out at the back of the saucer, in the upper right of the photo. It's also higher up in elevation than if the small nacelles were attached to the end of the secondary hull, which can't even be seen at this angle.

I think that because the nacelles are attached to this protuberance, and the nacelles on said protuberance stick out all the way to where the end of the secondary hull is, that might be why it looks like they're attached to the secondary hull in that false-color top view. I think this is how it actually looks (I used the bottom view because it's a better view):

-

--------------------

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

Ah...I see it now...perhaps it's an extension off the rectangular "shuttlebay" module that sits on top of all Nebula secondary hulls? Seems really...I dunno...after-thoughtish. Perhaps my brain didn't want to believe they just tacked something on there off a thin stick, but that does look like what they did.

So something like this, perhaps?
 -

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we know it's a kit-bash, was just wondering about possible uses for the other smaller nacelles?

Something to allow the saucer section to travel at warp-speed after separation?

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

I thought about the exact same thing when I was working on these diagrams last week and I've come to that conclusion as well.

They did something like that for the Prometheus in Voyager's "Message in a Bottle". The upper and lower halves of the secondary hull had a pair of large-size engines for each module, but the primary hull had two tiny engines pop out in warp travel, one from the bridge area and one directly beneath on the underside. No doubt to maintain a stable warp field while separation occurs so they don't loose the saucer section in mid-flight.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps