Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » More DS9 kitbashy goodness! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: More DS9 kitbashy goodness!
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 137th Gebirg:
So something like this, perhaps?

Yeah, something like that. Although looking at the ship in both BoBW and Emissary, I'm wondering if the extension is a bit thicker all around than just a thin protuberance. I'm also wondering if the nacelles aren't even higher up (not the pylons, but the extension).

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it were attached higher up, it would almost have to be physically attached to the saucer itself instead of the secondary hull in any way. If so, and even if the support platform were thicker, it would be a dangerously vulnerable object that could be easily knocked off, both as a model and in the Trek-verse.

Have you been able to track down the location of the original model made for Wolf 359, per-chance (or the Riker/Sisko desk model as well)? It seems close-ups of these things are popping up all the time - just wondering if anyone asked the owners of the known models (Buckner, Hutzel, Okuda, etc.) if they have them or recall details.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure the original models (both the battle-damaged one and the intact one) are long gone. If they were still in Paramount's possession they would have been auctioned off and we'd have heard about it. They're either years-ago garbage or in someone's personal possession.

Adam Buckner had nothing to do with BoBW; he only built kitbashes for DS9. The only four people I can think of who would have any information about the kitbashes are Okuda, Sternbach, Hutzel, and Ed Miarecki. I'm sure there's no more info that Okuda and Sternbach didn't give us back in 2001, and while Miarecki built the models himself, I'm extremely hesitant to contact him considering the debacle that happened last time. Plus, he probably doesn't remember anything anyway.

I would absolutely love to pick Gary Hutzel's brain about this, if it weren't for the fact that I don't have any contact info for him, and I have no idea if he'd even be receptive to chatting. I know Okuda, Sternbach and Drexler have always been great at providing info in the past, but I know nothing about Hutzel.

I would guess that at this point, it's unlikely that new info will be found either in verbal statements or photos, but hey, one never knows. Just the fact that a decade ago, some random guy on the internetz just happened to have photos from Okuda's slideshow says that the truth is still out there...;-)

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's always good to hope that something new will rise to the surface one day.

Although I am unfamiliar with the Miarecki incident of which you speak.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Back when the big Wolf 359 thread was going on here, one piece of information uncovered was Miarecki's website. Remember, at the time we knew nothing about the kitbashes other than some basic (and erroneous) descriptions of a few of them. We didn't even know who built them until Miarecki listed his five models on his site. He also had a contact email. Unfortunately, as tends to happen when lots of people get the same information at the same time without consulting each other, about 100 people decided to email him asking about the models (what they looked like; does he have photos, etc.) Since his site and contact info was primary for work solicitation, he (rightly) got pissed at all these people emailing him asking the exact same thing, for which he wasn't getting paid for, or could even remember clearly. It was bad and it was ugly, and as a member of the research team, I did NOT want that to happen again with anyone else we contacted. Luckily, our communications with Okuda and Sternbach proved to be much better handled [Wink]

Later on, once we got more info and pics, one of the other guys emailed him again (just one email this time) and made a collage of the five ships to see if it would jog Miarecki's memory. I seem to recall that it was the false-color top view of the Melbourne, the pic of the Kyushu hanging in the Art Department, the well-known trading card pic of the Ahwahnee, and the pic of the Chekov sitting on the coffee cup (he did send the wrong pic of the Buran, as we didn't have the slideshow photo yet and still thought it was the erroneous Constitution-based design; rightly Miarecki didn't recognize it). He was friendlier this time and did recall building the other models.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
Originally posted by 137th Gebirg:

2. Holy crap, I see it now! I found the exact pic you're referring to (and the episode it was in too - "Til Death Do Us Part") and they are definitely the little engines, just like Riker's model, but when the hell is that thing jutting up from between them? It kind of looks like an airfoil or smokestack of some kind. Very odd. I wonder if it's supposed to be something like what was attached to this Voyager concept - an "Absorption Shield Emitter".

Edit - created updated drawing based on that photo. To be honest, I have no idea what that extra thing is between the engines. This is just a best guess until we ever wind up seeing an HD version of that scene.

Turns out the Melbourne really gets around...it was set decoration in Ben Maxwell's ready room on the Phoenix, and here we can see it a bit better:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/thewounded/25-thewounded-r.jpg

Looks like that mystery piece is a part that attaches across both small nacelles and has the "bump" in between, kinda like the Reliant's torpedo pod and struts. It also looks like the bussards and warp grilles of the small nacelles were painted the same color as the nacelles themselves as early as "The Wounded," so maybe they're not meant to be nacelles anymore. One thing's for certain...it's not a pod like the later Nebulas have, as the desk model was modified before the studio model even got that type of pod.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a 24th Century catcher's mitt for whatever falls out of the saucer shuttlebay.

Glad to help.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps