Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Modified TNG shuttlepod?

Author Topic: Modified TNG shuttlepod?
Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was trying to find more info on this model but couldn't. In the TNG Season 7 DVD bonus materials, we can see Mike Okuda in front of a screen showing a preliminary version of the USS Pasteur dedication plaque. Sitting on top of his computer is a strange version of a Type 15 shuttlepod with what appears to be modified nacelles and added cockpit windows. What is this all about, and did this model ever appear on-screen?

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/bonus/s7/seasonsevenbonus204.jpg

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like it could be this shuttle:
http://www.treknology.org/shuttlepod-type-17.gif

http://www.treknology.org/shuttles1.htm (Type 17)

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, good eye. A new shuttle design.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call it "new" exactly, just a concept that was never used, but got as far as a small scale mock-up.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering the time frame, perhaps a prototype for what would become the Type 6 shuttle? The nacelles look quite unfinished. Anyway, thanks for your feedback! I hope that more photos of this one will crop up eventually.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beats the hell out of that cardboard deathtrap that as the TNG shuttlepod.
The Defiant's escape pods were bigger than that flying lunchbox.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't you mean, 'Well out of all the automobiles no longer in production in the Federation, the Scion certainly has held it's own for 300+ years and running?" ? [Wink]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andru:
Considering the time frame, perhaps a prototype for what would become the Type 6 shuttle? The nacelles look quite unfinished. Anyway, thanks for your feedback! I hope that more photos of this one will crop up eventually.

No, I think this came after the appearance of the Type-6. IIRC Sternbach said the idea was to chop down the second shuttle from ST:V like they did for the '6 but even smaller and easier to ship for location shooting. I may be misremembering though.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Andru
Member # 2145

Interesting piece of information, Reverend. You're talking about the full-scale mock-up that became the shuttle Hawking in ST:Generations, right?

While we're on the topic of curious shuttles and DVD bonus material, I thought I could add this one from the season 6 DVD:

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Shuttlecraft_Curry,_TNG_Season_6_bonus_material.jpg

Memory alpha:
quote:
The special features of the TNG Season 6 DVD depicts a studio model of a Type 6 shuttlecraft labeled with the name "Curry" (versus "Curie"), named after Dan Curry. It is unclear if this studio model was ever used in any on-screen sequence.
I figured out that this one was one of the multiple shuttles built by Ed Miarecki for his main shuttlebay model used in "Cause and Effect".

http://www.edmiarecki.com/props/1701-d-hangar-deck/

In the final sequence only 2 shuttles (allegedly the Berman and Piller) were seen, but Miarecki had built as many as five. The Curry has the same differences with the original model, including roof details where the Type 6 is smooth. Did he use some toy replica as a starting point? I'm not a collectible expert.

Anyway, sorry if you guys already knew all of this! A quick search of the forum couldn't find me anything.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
don't you mean, 'Well out of all the automobiles no longer in production in the Federation, the Scion certainly has held it's own for 300+ years and running?" ? [Wink]

Well, they're both shoeboxes, so...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps