Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG in HD (Page 14)

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: TNG in HD
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could we try not to sound like sex-starved teenagers? And maybe drop the vaguely misogynistic language? Kay thanks.

(Plus, Shelby was an interesting character in BOBW part 1, providing a conflict for Riker and trying to take him out of his comfort zone. By part two she had become "generic competent office #251".)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first heard that phrase from my wife, BTW.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Itty Bitty!?! They dominated the screen quite nicely, and even smushed by those industrial brassieres they stood forth proudly with that wonderful roundness that extends in front of the arms, and that perfect antigravity effect over the marvelously flat stomach.

And the uniform fit continues to impress on the way down.

Assume it is teenager-esque if you will, but to me it is art.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just a bit depressing that the majority of the comments on Shelby have been either about her breasts, or describing her as a cunt. Neither of these are going to win any progressive website awards.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea we were in the running.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We won't be at this rate.
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Could we try not to sound like sex-starved teenagers? And maybe drop the vaguely misogynistic language?

Wishful thinking I fear!

I sort of agree with you about Shelby, but I think that's mostly down to the changing dynamic between her and Riker. In part one he's the old guard - he's been in the same job for 3 years. He's been offered a promotion but he's dithering. Shelby's the new blood and she want's his job, regardless of whether Riker is going or not.

She's impudent, impertinent and she pisses him off, apparently in part just to piss him off.

By part two she's got Riker's job, which is what she wanted. Riker is now captain, and she's his XO - the relationship has altered completely. There is still conflict, but it's more like happy families now.

I'm not sure that (hypothetically) if Picard was written out at that point the show would have lasted seven seasons. The episode needed to end with Picard back (even if incapacitated or on light duties for a bit). Because of that Shelby was very much a guest part, instead of an on going role - which shows in part 2.

Also, the part one was made around Easter 1990, so (only on a technicality, as that it's not very likely Dennehey didn't get a haircut for four months) it's not 80's hair. Technically.

And lastly, meh, whatever floats your boat Guardian.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's just a bit depressing that the majority of the comments on Shelby have been either about her breasts, or describing her as a cunt. Neither of these are going to win any progressive website awards.

If it makes you feel better, I could care less about Shelby; my main interest in BoBW were the kitbashes [Wink]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really wasn't aware that her breasts were at all small...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
quote:

If it makes you feel better, I could care less about Shelby; my main interest in BoBW were the kitbashes [Wink]
Amen. maybe someday we'll get an enhanced version with a few minutes of actual battle...maybe adding some more debris too.
I'd love to see some of the debris get pushed aside by the Enterprise's deflector, though that might look weird to those unfamilliar with treknology. [Wink]

As to Shelby, it's her general awfulness as a human being in part 1 that bugs me...but a case could be made that she felt Geordi and the others were not taking the threat seriously enough.
If ever there was a time for doctor Crusher to be passing out stimulant shots, it was then...not that the dopey doctor was of much use in part 2.

Speaking of the doctor, the ease of physical reconstruction on Picard would indicate that stuff like replacing limbs with freshly grown ones was no big deal.
It seems silly to assume Picard's original arm was in the Borg attachment thinger, so they must have replaced it- which is entirely plausible between the DNA data all starfleet personell have in their file and transporter records.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Speaking of the doctor, the ease of physical reconstruction on Picard would indicate that stuff like replacing limbs with freshly grown ones was no big deal.
It seems silly to assume Picard's original arm was in the Borg attachment thinger, so they must have replaced it- which is entirely plausible between the DNA data all starfleet personell have in their file and transporter records. [/QB]

Huh? They specifically showed that arm attachment being fitted over Picard's existing arm. He raised his fist and they slid it on like a glove.

Now, we can debate why things changed between BOBW and First Contact, but there have been so many changes to the Borg over the years anyway. First they reproduced and then grafted implants onto their young (Q Who?), then they assimilated by grafting implants to captured people (BOBW) and finally they just injected nanoprobes and let them build the implants from the inside out (First Contact).

Sure, you can retcon the baby in Q Who? as just an assimilated baby from some other race. But it's apparent that there was no thought given to limb replacement until First Contact, when the writers could afford to push a PG-13 rating. Ironically, they even mentioned nanites in BOBW, which is just another name for nanoprobes. But there was no suggestion of nanoprobes in relation to the Borg.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, you're right- it's been a while since I last saw BOBW 1.

Personally, I think the Borg were a million times more interesting in Q Who?
Q says "It's not a not, not a girl...it's like nothing you've seen before" or somesuch.
By Voyager they were parasites at best- unable to exist without finding some sap to assimilate.

As with most things cool, the less you know, the more mistique something has.
Had the Borg remained a collective with that great booming creepy voice of a million drones instead of an idiotic Queen, it would have remained awesome.

And hell, I'd have had the Bynars sell out the Federation- by way of story, I'd have had the Enterprise the target of a mystery energy pulse, followed by Riker being called over the comms down to the Holodeck.
When he arrives, the scene is the same jazz club as shown in the episode with the Bynars and the same hottie is waiting for him- only looking distressed.
The Bynars' sentient main computer has sent a partial copy of itself to the Enterprise (hence the pulse) with a dire warning for the Federation and a plea for help- "she" does not want to be assimilated but the populace does and has begun to systematicly lobotomize her, preventing her from warning the Federation via direct communication.
It could be all about what the Federation would do if a member world decided it wanted assimilation, and what, if any, rights their sentient computer has, if any, as it cant exactly go anywhere...which would bring back elements explored when Data ahd his little trial about what is property and all that...

I'd end the episode (2-parter?) with the Federation council deciding in favor of letting the Bynars do whatever the hell they want, as they are hardly prisoners, and let the amassing starfleet hopefully repel any Borg aggression afterwards.
No sooner is the verdict reached (back on Earth) than the computer, interacting with Riker via the Holodeck construct babe, looks tearful, says "goodbye" and disappears- before anyone can react, the Enterprise's computer remotely ejecting the Enterprise's warpcore and detonating it in the planet's atmosphere, killing the populace and the computer as well as a sorta "I'd rather be destroyed and kill the entire population of my world than be assimilated and have the Federation destroyed".
Picard and Riker and everyone have a giant "Oh shit, it looks like the flagship just aced the Bynars to prevent their leaving the Federation" look- knowing this clusterfuck will surely come back to haunt them.

The approaching Borg cube, sensing what had happened via the subspace link it had established with the Bynars, halts at the edge of Federation space...but does not withdraw, adding extra tension to an utterly dark and bleak two parter which would never have been greenlighted by Paramount. [Wink]

I'm tired as hell and rambling, so please forgive this crazyland idea...too late now anyway. [Wink]

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked how in Q Who they made it seem like the ship was partially organic. I mean it had HR Giger-esque piping which looked like veins. And that image of the ship repairing its hull damage, always gets under my skin like watching someone popping a pimple. Later cubes looked completely mechanical and didn't do that regeneration trick.
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Amen. maybe someday we'll get an enhanced version with a few minutes of actual battle...maybe adding some more debris too.
I'd love to see some of the debris get pushed aside by the Enterprise's deflector, though that might look weird to those unfamilliar with treknology. [Wink]

I remember reading about someone who said that the first filmed battle at Wolf 359 was during the Borg attack and not after. But this version was droped when it was decided that the Enteprise joined after the battle was over. I was hoping that this filmed scene was part of the bonus material for TNG S3, but appaerently it was not.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given how closely BOBW II was written to the film date, I highly doubt any battle sequence was shot for the episode.
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps