Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG in HD (Page 19)

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: TNG in HD
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure how I could tell if it is a compositing error. Normaly you create the matte pass so that the shilouette is blocking everthing that is behind the ship (in this case the stars), even if the ship (or parts of it) is very dark. But in this case I'm convinced that a star is moving right beneath the visible parts of the ship, leading me to the assumption that the dark area is not part of the ship.
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have S4 yet (in Germay it will only be released next month!) but did anybody checked if the registry of the USS Cochrane is now legibable? Unfortunately Memory Alpha has not been updated with the new material. It still shows a picture from the DVDs (were you barlely see nothing).
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to point out that Amazon has TOS and TNG (both on Blu Ray) on sale for $34 (for TOS) and $50 (for TNG 1 - 3) and they are totally worth every penny.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that was disappointing. Until I clicked through, I didn't realize that you meant those prices were per season.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often wondered why it is that Star Trek seasons are so damned expensive. Even the regular DVDs are still outrageous for a season of a show that was originally aired 20+ years ago.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've often wondered why it is that Star Trek seasons are so damned expensive. Even the regular DVDs are still outrageous for a season of a show that was originally aired 20+ years ago.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're priced so high because people are willing to buy them at that price.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

At least they got the right idea with the TNG DVDs and have released that new "silhouette" set for I think $40 a season. Which is more in line with most other TV shows out there.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

At least they got the right idea with the TNG DVDs and have released that new "silhouette" set for I think $40 a season. Which is more in line with most other TV shows out there.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I almost wish that silhouette art was used for the blu rays: that art is gorgeous!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see what you mean. Very nice art with the Big E flying through the spaces.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checking Amazon for similar genre shows:

Star Trek: TNG (DVD) £16 per 26 episode season, £76 for complete set
Battlestar Galactica (new series, DVD) £24 for season 1 (13 episodes), £10 for season 2 or 3 (20 episodes)
Quantum Leap (DVD) roughly £10 per 22 episode season
Red Dwarf (DVD) roughly £6 per 6 episode season.

TNG is a bit more expensive but I wouldn't call it "outrageous". The Quantum Leap DVDs have no extras and extensive music replacement. BSG has slightly less episodes for a third off the price, but I don't think the difference is enought to make TNG seem hugely overpriced.

The blu rays are a different proposition, because there isn't anything to compare them with. Modern TV shows are shot in HD for blu ray release. I can't think of any other TV shows that have required the amount of work TNG has received in order to "HD-ize" it, and bear in mind they will receive less money than they would if it was a new TV show because they're still selling a 20 year old 4:3 show. A better comparison might be Enterprise, which WAS a modern HD show. Amazon are showing those seasons for £40 a pop, which is slightly less than TNG, but again not significantly cheaper.

Are the blu-rays expensive? Probably. OTOH, a film usually costs at least £13 on blu-ray, so £40 for a 24 episode season with lots of good quality extras seems great value for money. At the end of the day as MinutiaeMan they are priced at what they think people will pay for them. I've bought them, even thought they're showing on satellite TV now. But then, I'm also the guy who's about to spend over £100 on a two-foot tall Transformer (with articulated eyes!), so I'm not the best judge of value.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

The Startrek.com shop still lists each season of the shows for $70US for the DVDs, which is the price I usually see them retailing for in stores. The new silhouette set is also listed for $70US on the website, but I know it was at Costco for $40CDN per season not too long ago (my local store is sold out currently).

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

The Startrek.com shop still lists each season of the shows for $70US for the DVDs, which is the price I usually see them retailing for in stores. The new silhouette set is also listed for $70US on the website, but I know it was at Costco for $40CDN per season not too long ago (my local store is sold out currently).

--------------------

o2
Member # 907

After recently watching Redepemption Part II I made a small obervatation I like to share with you: In the scene aboard the USS Sutherland, where Data is accessing the computer, the LCARS screen has been redone for the remastered release. Some of the text is now readable, but some thing is bothering me: The reference to the USS Ahwahnee is not there anymore. It looks like to me that the same three pages are beeing used over and over and maybe the guys who were doing the update where not aware of the fact that the Ahwahnee is shown on one page with registry. Here is the link to the screen shot from the DVDs:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s5/5x01/redemptiontwo201.jpg

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.