Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG in HD (Page 23)

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29   
Author Topic: TNG in HD
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Titan on "Future Imperfect" Riker service history?

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/season-4/4x08/future-imperfect-hd-187.jpg

I'm assuming this is a newly created screen and someone decided to have a little fun.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Makes sense, in an in-joke-y way. Weren't a lot of the text screens just plain gibberish, since they knew they wouldn't be legible? They'd have to be updated for HD anyway. Plus, they know that we look for this stuff now... [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do SO wish to know what the "Joint Excalbian Campaign" was to be.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Conspicuous gallandry", huh? My best etymological guess is that that means "French manliness".
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
USS Titan on "Future Imperfect" Riker service history?

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/season-4/4x08/future-imperfect-hd-187.jpg

I'm assuming this is a newly created screen and someone decided to have a little fun.

If you compare with the SD-screenshot you can see that bothe texts are not matching 100%, so yes, this is an in-joke.

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s4/4x08/futureimperfect131.jpg

Since the episode is actually not playing in the future (or in an possible future) the alien boy had no way to know what the future command of Rike would be.

On the other hand, maybe Riker recalled this incident a few years from this episode and asked Starfleet to remanme his first Ship to USS Titan because of his service record?

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"Conspicuous gallandry", huh? My best etymological guess is that that means "French manliness".

"French" + "manliness"?

{Nomad} Non sequitur; your facts are uncoordinated. {/Nomad}

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:
Since the episode is actually not playing in the future (or in an possible future) the alien boy had no way to know what the future command of Riker would be.

Yeah, I caught this too. Barash couldn't see into the future, so how the hell would he have known actual future events like this? Obviously it's just an easter egg and shouldn't be taken seriously.

quote:
On the other hand, maybe Riker recalled this incident a few years from this episode and asked Starfleet to remanme his first Ship to USS Titan because of his service record?
I sincerely doubt that. The service record was fake; why would he feel like he needed to follow it in any fashion?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I sincerely doubt that. The service record was fake; why would he feel like he needed to follow it in any fashion? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Because Caption Riker realized that USS Titan is really a cool starship name! [Smile]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"'French' + 'manliness'?

{Nomad} Non sequitur; your facts are uncoordinated. {/Nomad}"

Well, alternatively, "gall-" could come from gallus, in which case we're talking about manly chickens, which... sure, why not?

o2
Member # 907

In the personal file of 'Commander' MacDuff is his previous post given as USS Orion.

Is this ship name real or fake?

I tend to believe that this ship is indeed a real one, although the file was (of course) a fake. Why? Because no operative would be send on a mission when his false background story could be so easily uncovered.

What do you think?

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:
Why? Because no operative would be send on a mission when his false background story could be so easily uncovered.

Yes, that's probably true. Considering that Starfleet has such ships as the U.S.S. Elmer Fudd and the U.S.S. Non Sequitor, the U.S.S. Orion is practically blase.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

o2
Member # 907

First I though it is a referece to the Orion Syndicate, but it is more likely that this is refering to the constallation Orion, like the USS Aries.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

I don't think the term "Orion Syndicate" existed at the time. That wasn't until the later seasons of DS9. Plus, why would Starfleet (or the Satarrans, for that matter) name a ship after that? Does Starfleet have a U.S.S. Mafia? It's probably named after the mythological figure (which the constellation is named after).

*EDIT* Were the personnel profiles the original film elements, or were they reconstructed for TNG-R? If the latter, then yes, it might have been an in-joke about the OS, but I'm not sure why.

--------------------

o2
Member # 907

Looks like most of them have been reconstructed for this episode. The file of Ensign Ro now has a referece to the USS Wellington.
o2
Member # 907

Just saw the restored picture of the USS Yosemite on Trek Core:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images-s6review/review3.jpg

The registry is now visible: NCC-19002.

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.