Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG in HD (Page 6)

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: TNG in HD
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was difficult for the casual viewer to understand what this concept was. Viewscreen is etablished by now even by the non-Star Trek fans, but this new technoligy is hard to grasp...

For example, in some episodes of TNG it was sufficient for the food replicator to have that sound off-screen and everybody knew: The replicator is working know. But there was nothing comparable to the holo-projector for it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That seems a little unlikely. I think even the casual viewer can grasp the idea of a hologram.

I've never heard of anyone watching The Empire Strikes Back and suddenly shouting "Oh my god, the Emperor is a giant floating head that can appear and disappear at will?!".

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scene in Star Wars V was done in post production, which means additional cotsts.

The idea in Ds9 was to use no (or barely) no special effects in order to save money. The actor was 'just' standing on the brigde of the Defiant in front of the viewscreen. I can imagine that a casual viewer, who is not used to this concept is asking why this guy is acting so strange...

o2
Member # 907

Second try:

You got the concept on SW V because the quality of the hologramm was fairly poor.

The quality of the hologramm on DS9 was so good that you can't tell if this guy was realy standing on the bridge or if he was a hologramm instead.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not really. You see the person fading in and out and that one other time they used it the Admiral bloke had a spot light right on him to get the point across.

Also remember that the "average viewer" by this point was mostly made up of sci-fi fans if not die hard trekies.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:

I can imagine that a casual viewer, who is not used to this concept is asking why this guy is acting so strange...

Huh? It was made perfectly clear in the dialogue that the image, while looking like a normal person, was in fact a hologram. The "casual viewer," whether a sci-fi fan or not, would have to be a complete moron not to understand this. Unless you happen to think that people who are not Star Trek fans are complete morons.
o2
Member # 907

I have no complains with the presentation of the hologramms in those two DS9 episodes. This was done very well. But the question was why they have not used it after that. My point was that - if they what to save costs - they have to avoid effects like fading in or out (otherwise they could stick to the established viewscreen). But then it is hard to understand for the casual viewer to grasp the concept. On the other hand, I can't believe that only die-hard Star Trek fans are looking DS9.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:

But then it is hard to understand for the casual viewer to grasp the concept.

You keep saying this, and yet there's no truth to it at all.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, is fading the person's image in and out at either end of the transmission really any more complicated/expensive an effect than inserting the greenscreen footage onto the viewer? After all, fading people in and out is an effect they should pretty much have down pat, after years of transporter effects.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mate, even 50's B-movies could competently fad characters in and out. It's one of the oldest optical effects on the books.

Even so, if they really want to penny pinch all they need to is have the person/hologram materialise off screen and just have the sound effect. It's a trick they used for the transporters and replicators all the time.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the first VFX fades, and my favorite.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
quote:
Originally posted by o2:

I can imagine that a casual viewer, who is not used to this concept is asking why this guy is acting so strange...

Huh? It was made perfectly clear in the dialogue that the image, while looking like a normal person, was in fact a hologram. The "casual viewer," whether a sci-fi fan or not, would have to be a complete moron not to understand this. Unless you happen to think that people who are not Star Trek fans are complete morons.
Casual viewers would have to be constantly told that the guy was only there holographicly- they beat that horse into hamburger every episode of Voyager and STILL kept doing it till the end.

It would have just been a distraction on DS9.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

o2
Member # 907

Here we go again...

A few days ago the first 1080p pictures of the USS Enterprise appeared:

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/GoingBoldly.jpg

And there is the rumour that a few takes have been done with a CGI-Enterprise.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's pretty much confirmed that this shot is entirely CG.

http://images.static-bluray.com/reviews/5450_34_large.jpg

But they had Tobias Richter work on it, so while I'm curious why it was necessary, I'm glad it's at least being done well.

He's currently working on an Excelsior model, and also mentioned making an Oberth, so it'll be interesting to see if they show up at any point.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Johnny, that's CG? Pull the other one! [Wink]

Seriously impressive, almost enough to justify getting a bluray player.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps