Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG in HD (Page 9)

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: TNG in HD
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care much for the size of the BoP in this scene since we don't know the distance anyhow, but I would have loved to see a more dynamic shot, with movement both from the Enterprise and the BOP in different velocities. Although the picutre quality is great, it looks so 2D...
Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a really good shot of the two foot Enterprise model.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the crew evacuates to rooms in the neck during dangerous situations- all the lights are on there!

Or maybe back then, a three-shift-rotation referred to entire sections of the ship being off-duty at the same time...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question, which might pertain to why the shot with the Enterprise and the BoP was redone: Would any stock footage from the films have to be reshot, since that stock is now the property of Paramount and not CBS? Reused footage I can think of off the top of my head are Spacedock, Regula One, K'T'ingas from TMP, and certain BoP shots.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dukhat -

On the face of it, I'd doubt it, since CBS has the rights to distribute TNG on DVD. That would presumably include any footage from the films used for the series ... right?

I did buy the sampler DVD. I was blown away by the quality and clarity of, well, everything. I think I'll be picking these seasons up when they're released.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't the TNG DVDs produced before the big split between Paramount and CBS though?

And where the hell have you been all this time, dude? [Smile]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect that the borrowed movie footage as originally presented in the TNG master tapes are property of CBS, but I suspect that Paramount would retain ownership of the raw, pre-composite footage. So yeah, that could be why some shots are being redone from scratch.

That, plus the possibility that some raw footage simply doesn't exist anymore, or is too badly damaged to be usable.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was my first thought, too.

But we still don't have an official explanation why the shot was re-done.

On the other hand, this scene was not re-done, although no actor is present and (in my opinion) easy to fix:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/exclusive_images/sinsinner/sins8.jpg

(And it was not flaged as upscaled PAL content in the menu of the blu ray disc)

But if the problem with the property of Paramount is true, then I'm afraid they have to redo the mushroom station approach also.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I suspect that the borrowed movie footage as originally presented in the TNG master tapes are property of CBS, but I suspect that Paramount would retain ownership of the raw, pre-composite footage."

I was going to say something similar to this yesterday, but then it occurred to me that, if the footage is from the movies, it should already be on film, so it shouldn't even need to be re-composed, right?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I shouldn't think so. What the TV show probably had was a high grade video transfer taken from the film stock. Paramount aren't likely to just give away the film prints and there'd be no point in the TV show going to the expense of making cinema grade copies, especially when borrowing footage in the first place is meant to be a money saving exercise.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

o2
Member # 907

You guys probably already know, but there are new hd screenshots from the first season available.

I was excited to see that the registry number on the Tsiolkowsky is now (barely) visible:

http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/24090_ST_TNG_S1_Still_1_1080.jpg

And we can see that the starbase is not CGI, but done with the origianl material.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

I had a discussion about this over at the (gasp!) TrekBBS, and I concluded that while it is the same model shots of the Enterprise-D and the Grissom model, the 53911 registry is in fact new, digitally replacing the Grissom's old registry that was still on the model when it was originally filmed as the Tsiolkovsky.

The use of the original footage of the starbase also answers my question about if they were allowed to use movie stock footage in the remastering process.

o2
Member # 907

I did a very quick and simple comparision: if you enlarge the SD Tsiolkowsky to the same size of the HD version and put one over the other, you can see that the registry number of the SD version is shorter then the one on the HD version, so you could be right!

In the (SD) scene where the ship is pushed into the stellar fragment (at the end of the episode) you can definitly see that the ship has a registry with only three digits.

Wow, this is great news, they actually care!

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, the E-D pulling into SB74 still shows her reversed NCC. :-)

Is it just me, or are these shots more grainy than the ones from the sampler?

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

o2
Member # 907

Yeah, I noticed the grain, too, but I don't know why. The screenshots from Farpoint Station are crystal clear.
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  27  28  29   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps