Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Quasi-Canonical Early Connie Engineering Hull (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Quasi-Canonical Early Connie Engineering Hull
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Also does anyone think that Paul Car as Lt Lee Kelso looks kind of like Connor Trineer??

And yes, disconcertingly so. It's the mouth and hair, I think.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
That's supposed to be reflection-

That was always my interpretation, as well. However, depending on the origin of that blue painting, that idea might not be accurate. After all, the line doesn't show up on the warp nacelle underside at all as one would expect it to, and the idea of it as a reflection showing up on the saucer is uncertain at best.

As for the painting itself (which, just for clarification regarding your earlier post, I never thought to be a model) . . . basically, without knowing the source of this artwork, it could very well be a mid-stage Jefferies design.

I give you...HORROR!
 -

And this!
[img] http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1251034271l/1859729.jpg [/img]

Try and make sense of these! I dare you.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like a Star Wars ship with some nacelles tacked on. Hideous.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe me, those were the good ones!
I heard there was some dispute over the rights o use the Enterprise or something due to it being liscenced elsewhere at the time and so they hired an artist that, I suppose, had never heard of Star Trek to do the covers. Possibly he had a bad cold and a broken hand as well. And bad vision. And no references.

Yes, they're horrible- the perspective of the secondary hull does not even line up with the blob-like saucer section.

Your comment is spot-on: Star Wars mania influenced the thinking of many an art director in that period.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, they had an overdeveloped sense of copyright infringement avoidance. When I was young I used to think those were crappy but now I see them as a bit of sneaky-cloning mixed with creative avoidance thereof.

They can make an interesting what-if, anyway, though I daresay people wouldn't ever have been so interested in Trek if the ships were so anti-iconic.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That best of trek 4 cover reminds me of those Usborne books of the future with all those cool 'future' space ships and technology. I still wish I had those books.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
They can make an interesting what-if, anyway, though I daresay people wouldn't ever have been so interested in Trek if the ships were so anti-iconic.

True but if these were applied to a Trek in that "Starfleet has fallen blah blah blah" idea, then they make a sorta desperatly cobbled together sense.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing that cover of "The Best of Trek #4" reminds me of a saying: a camel is a horse designed by committee.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, Best of Trek! That's what we had before the Internet.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps