Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Thought experiment: retconning the design for the Rigel class Tolstoy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Thought experiment: retconning the design for the Rigel class Tolstoy
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that the piece used in both BOBW and DS9 pilot?
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, it's what Okuda cut off of the Chekov. The rest of the ship was filmed, while he kept this piece for himself.

Granted there probably won't be anything new to see even if Starship Freak takes more pics, but it's nice to have multiple views.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
It's this piece, right? Looks like it's what Okuda cut away from the model's saucer to "battle damage" it:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9238152

It's amazing just how crappy that looks- no interior at all- not even cardboard interior!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, that´s the one! And I asked Bernd to relay an informationrequest to Mike O, and basically he confirmed what has already been stated above. He simulated battledamage by cutting away the piece I then bought. And the pic MMoM posted is basically the best you all will get. I could take pic of the other side of the saucer after christmas, but it´s basically same-same. I don´t care though, just owning the piece is great ;-)

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the opening post, I think the subtle move idea is far too subtle. While subtle and never-commented-upon retcon-fu is possible in some quarters, we seldom see that in Trek.

Incidentally, the New Orleans class is still perhaps my favorite design, would've made an awesome Voyager, and so on . . . even though for the life of me I still have never come up with a satisfactory idea for what the devil those three extra doodads are, and don't even like the fact that the bottom one is there at all.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they didnt even need them honestly, G2K. Wasnt the story behind the placement of those markers was to make the ship less Galaxy-like when viewed? its not like you could be confused from the crappy still captures that might have existed before peps posted better pics... If any TNG-R work happens, they can take a lot of liberties with the designs. Of course, when you consider the common meshes used with the various video games (not to mention what STO will do to make the design 'semi-kinda' cannon when/if they introduce the ships as they hope/plan to, according to STO-Wiki)...

and i agree on the like, of all the kitbashes made, the New Orleans-Class is a fav because it is so Galaxy-like in poportions (thus the reason those silly Torpeado Markers were put on the model in the first place) made it a PERFECT Frigate to the Galaxy's Dreadnaught...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the top ones you can at least rationalize as shuttlebays, even cool through-deck cans-of-whoopass ones. After all, if Voyager can fit the Delta Flyer in her little behind, then surely you could fit whole fleets in those.

But the bottom one just seems like an afterthought warp core catcher's mitt.

Henceforth I shall simply pretend the bottom one is a special one-off transportation rig for some other New Orleans' port shuttlebay, and that the ship usually doesn't have it.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liiking at the saucer's cureve compared to the lifeboat squares..do we get anything like an official size?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps