Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Some previews to salivate over...

Author Topic: Some previews to salivate over...
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

-

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm...

So these are yours, not the genuine article, I take it? Nice job. I see the Centaur's shapely nacelle peeking out next to the Bradford...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they are mine. I set out to build replicas of some of the DS9 kitbashes, but with more accurate paint jobs to better replicate an actual filming model. Since I'm only an amateur modeler (and because these ships were originally built by non-or-semi-pros), I figured they'd turn out about the same. The problem is that somehow I misplaced my digital camera and had to take these pics with my old first-generation bulky 5MP camera, and the pics don't look as good as I'd like. I took several pics and will post them here until I get another camera.

I have completed the Bradford, Centaur and Curry. On the subject of the latter, I am back in email contact with Dan Curry. I showed him the model and he thought it looked great (considering). The only thin he said was that there were Enterprise decals on the nacelles that I didn't have. He's still looking for the original model in his storage unit, but I feel pretty positive that we'll eventually see it.

I'm actually going to build the Yeager too. I originally wasn't planning to build it, but since I only needed the Voyager nacelle pylons and a few small pieces from the Maquis Raider model, I had both hulls left over. So it's either built it or let the unused model parts sit in my closet doing nothing.

With both the reference pics of the Bradford and a few other pics of the original Centaur and Curry, I'd say my versions are about 90% accurate to the originals (I'll explain later when I post more pics).

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate seeing pics of actual studio filming models. They're invariably in poor condition, and without proper lighting (and substituted improper bad flash-photography in a storage unit lighting). . . the magic just isn't there. Your models, however, are fantastic.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I have the same couch... [Wink]

Very nice models! You're giving me inspiration to finally try and build the ST models I have accumulated...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Thanks for the kind words, guys. As I said, my old camera's pics aren't the greatest, but I'll post what I took and hopefully make better pics once I get another cam.

The Curry:

-

-

-

-

-

-

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

More Curry:

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

As you can see, the registry decals look like shit. I won a sheet of Galaxy/Nebula Class registry decals on eBay, and they don't really work that well as opposed to the decals that came with the kits. Rub-ons (like what I used for the Bradford's name) work soooo much better, but nobody makes Starfleet registry number rub-ons, unfortunately.

I'll explain the Curry's building process in my next post, but I think I'll make a new topic for the Bradford pics.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Decal set solution may have helped with that. And, actually, still may.

--------------------

starship
Member # 2203

- posted      Profile for starship     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
looks very good!

--------------------
Brasil Starhips
My Blog: http://brstarship.wordpress.com
My site: http://starships.host.sk

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HERE is an article on using Future Floor Polish on models. This works great for providing a smooth finish prior to placing decals and then a topcoat to protect them.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Now being sold as Pledge with Future Shine.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Future kicks ass- a guy at SSM was spraying a model when he saw a roach and hosed it into a rictus of insect terror.
It's not wax- it's a self-leveling acrylic.
Paint your model, spray on Future, decal with decal softner (or white vinegar if you're going cheap) and then another coat of Future.
Then spray some Dullcoat and you're golden- the decals will never ever come off.

I'm digging these greatly, though I much prefer saner nacelle sizes on the Curry.

Dukhat, check JTGraphics for a full (and awesome) Excelsior decal sheet taht will make that baby shine. I think he has a Curry decal too- though you maty have to email him on that one.
the guy has about every ship ever on his computer, waiting for orders to print decals.

quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
I think I have the same couch... [Wink]

No coincidence- he's in your house when you're at work.
Really, hide your beer.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Actually as it turns out its the same fabric but different design...weird!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps