Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Drexfiles Deleted!

Author Topic: Drexfiles Deleted!
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm quite sad. I knew the Drexfiles Wordpress blog wasn't getting updated, but it is now gone completely, and along with it a great resource.

Anyone heard anything? I've keyed up the Wayback Machine and see that someone made a post in March in Doug's stead, but then soon after it was poof! gone.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, just looked at a topic I'd skipped and see that Jason has already got the scoop on the backup:

http://franksavage918.wordpress.com/

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was something about complaints from other artists not getting credited or somesuch- which seems crazy to me as Drexler always seemedso keen on highlighting other's work.

like Probert's fantastic Tug design-
http://franksavage918.wordpress.com/2011/12/04/tug-this-sotl-2014-probert-style/

Some actually look kinda Romulan to me-
http://franksavage918.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/tug_04.png

hmmm...now that i've got an extra two TB of storage for my home machine, I should really just start saving all the cool stuff from Drexfiles- you never know whaen it will be unavailable.

People ask why I'm so down on Abrams' Trek and this kind of thing is what I find to be missing most- the sense that creative people got together and started with the idea of "lets make it makes sense[/i]" instead of "I know a guy with an unused brewery we can film in" or instead of someone designing a set for function.
with no design, the final result is...well, it's an obvious fucking brewery and no something where the audience says "ohhh...that's how I bet a starship in the future will look!".

[/rant]

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

You know, you are exactly correct in every aspect of your post. The complainers sucked (I certainly didn't feel like Drexler was making claims to the work of or ganking from others without attribution), you should make a backup, and JJ-Trek is generally thoughtless overall.

I recently asked on Twitter whether there was any reference to classic literature whatsoever in JJ-Trek . . . the answer is no, unless you count the Beastie Boys (hat tip to Pablo Hidalgo).

This sort of thing extends into the design work. Just earlier I was thumbing through Rick Sternbach's collected tech memos from TNG (go get them from eBay, they're awesome). There's one in there from Probert and Sternbach from well before the TNG pilot aired which is basically a little miniature version of the Technical Manual, and this from the art department! These guys weren't dicking around, they were trying to be certain of form and function. But with JJ-Trek, you get stuff like the ship being upscaled at a whim, phasers with little rotating bits, and so on . . . in other words, gee-whiz-aintitcool has replaced the thoughtful worrying of Joe Johnston and the like.

Not to mention the registry lettering on the flat part of the saucer. I *hate* that. That was always always always the mark of a cheap toy or poorly made model, and was consistently avoided for like 40 years, and then they went and screwed it up.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean? I thought the JJ-Enterprise didn't have the registry on the bottom of the saucer? Do you mean on the lip?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed something that could explain some of this: IN the SOTL 2013 calendar, the picture for the month of May is credited to Doug Drexler but there is very clearly a watermark embedded in the image that is very clearly NOT Drexler...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
What do you mean? I thought the JJ-Enterprise didn't have the registry on the bottom of the saucer? Do you mean on the lip?

What? I was referring to the registry position on the dorsal saucer. Compare:

http://mob689.photobucket.com/albums/vv251/SalvorHardin00/oldnew1.jpg?t=1243722953

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^You're SalvorHardin over at the TrekBBS? I never knew that [Wink]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
I noticed something that could explain some of this: IN the SOTL 2013 calendar, the picture for the month of May is credited to Doug Drexler but there is very clearly a watermark embedded in the image that is very clearly NOT Drexler...

But that might have nothing to do with drexler himself- some printer's fuckup or whoever did the actual layout of the calender.
When they made that hardcover collection of stuff from the SOTL calenders, each artist got a nice highlight and of course, credit.

I dont know the particulars of what went down, only that a great and entertaining resource is gone.
And that sucks bigtime.
Just the replies and questions from fans was great- this guy went out of his way- for years!- to answer soooo many questions and to post pics of stuff we would never have seen without that blogsite.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
^You're SalvorHardin over at the TrekBBS? I never knew that [Wink]

I am blissfully ignorant of the goings-on at TrekBBS, so no. :-)

--------------------

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...it looks like that blog that is linked is private. I've requested access but does anyone know if the owner is active?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

What? I was referring to the registry position on the dorsal saucer. Compare:

http://mob689.photobucket.com/albums/vv251/SalvorHardin00/oldnew1.jpg?t=1243722953

Gotcha. And I agree, it does look horrible.

One reason why I think TNG-HD has worked is because the guys cared. They came up with a system for labelling all the doors on the Enterprise, even though you could hardly ever read them. They put relevent event-of-the-week graphics on the rear workstations on the bridge even when the camera never focussed on them (and I've only just realised how often they did that. Completely passed me by twenty years ago). They labelled most of the panels even though only the actors would ever read them. As a result, a lot of the time TNG-HD doesn't need to add in extra detail, because that detail was already there. We can now just see it clearly.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
Well...it looks like that blog that is linked is private. I've requested access but does anyone know if the owner is active?

I second this emotion.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a email address for Doug Drexler. I don't know if he still checks it though.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He posts all his "Drexfiles" stuff on Facebook now. A mixture of reblogging the old posts, and adding new stuff. You just have to add him as a friend to see it.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps