Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Another SWDAO solved: U.S.S. Arcos

Author Topic: Another SWDAO solved: U.S.S. Arcos
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least I think it was on the SWDAO list...it's been awhile... [Smile]

Anyway, I was browsing Bernd's new review of TNG-R's "The Survivors" when something he wrote caught my eye. The planet Delta Rana IV would end up being used as other planets later in the series, one of which was Turkana IV from "Legacy." I knew that there had been an issue in that episode about the appearance of the U.S.S. Arcos freighter, so I compared the screenshots of the planet from both episodes, and made a discovery: The footage of the Arcos exploding over Turkana IV on the Enterprise's viewscreen was actually (reversed) stock footage of the Husnock ship exploding over Delta Rana IV.

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s4/4x06/legacy039.jpg

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/thesurvivors/29-thesurvivors.jpg

Even the explosion is the same. Obviously being seen on the Enterprise's screen, the Husnock ship is too small to make out, which was probably why the footage was used. So unless one is a literalist and thinks the Arcos looks exactly the same as a Husnock battleship, I think we can safely say that the Deneva class shall remain a conjectural design.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting- a perfect example of something that a special edition of TNG with revised effects could address nicely.

And I'd dearly looove to see a new official TNG design- something well thought out as a freighter and not just someone's idea of wht looks "cool".

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Interesting- a perfect example of something that a special edition of TNG with revised effects could address nicely.

And I'd dearly looove to see a new official TNG design- something well thought out as a freighter and not just someone's idea of wht looks "cool".

I'd love to see a new design too, but I doubt it'll happen, since the scene was all of 1/2 second long, and even in HD the Husnock ship won't be seen any clearer.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, i'd be happy to see the Husnock ship redone with better details too- that was the first CG ship in a Trek episode, was it not?
I dont recall ever seeing a physical model for it anyway...
That seems like an obvious choice for an update...they could certainly make that battle more dramatic at least...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

No, the Husnock ship was a physical model. It was significantly changed for its next appearance as Kivas Fajo's ship.

And the episode is already remastered with the original effects, so they're not going to update the battle.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

They'll do as I say and like it.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Well aren't you the little dictator? [Smile]
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd is now reporting that the Arcos was represented by the Batris/Sanction/Erstwhile model. Is this a mistake owing to the similarity of the shapes, or was it actually substituted in the remastered episode?
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Good question. They did construct a CGI Erstwhile for the remastering of "The Outrageous Okona," so it's possible they reused it for the Arcos, which would now cause a conflict with the original use of the Husnock ship. We won't know until we see the remastered "Legacy" what they did. If that's the case though, it's a little annoying that they couldn't have come up with an original design for the Arcos.

*EDIT* I just checked Memory Alpha, and what I hypothesized was indeed what happened. However, I still think MA is wrong about the original version; it still looks like stock footage of the Husnock ship exploding over Delta Rana to me (Both Turkana and Delta Rana are new planets now in TNG-R, not a reuse of the same footage as before)

So now according to TNG-R, we do have a canon design for the Deneva class, but while the original physical model was restructured from the Talarian Batris, the CGI model must now be seen as independent from it, and an actual Starfleet vessel class. But then how did Okona and the alien Ornarans come into possession of Starfleet property?

[ December 27, 2013, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.