Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Registries and conjectural classes

Author Topic: Registries and conjectural classes
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've been working for several years on some essays about the conjectural classes from the Encyclopedia, and I've finally finished. The whole thing actually consists of four parts:

The Conjectural classes essay.

A chronological timeline of starship registries.

A batch number timeline of starship registries.

And a ship construction estimate spreadsheet. (Batch numbers on p.1, chronological numbers on p. 2)

All of this is of course, my own opinion, and any errors are my own. I hope you enjoy it. [Smile]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so, not your fault but you just happened to post this while I am away for work. I'll be home again in another week-and-a-half at which point I will be able to give this a proper response... [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is really exceptional- you should send it to Mike Okuda to look at...though I guess he gets a ton of Trek stuff.

Really cool of you though- and there's a TON of speculation that reading throough it brings up- like the Soyuz class getting retired so early while the Miranda kept on trucking.

I'd chock that one up to sensor technology- the Soyuz seemed to be a sensor boat (I dont subscribe to the fanboy notion that those protrusions are weapons).
The Miranda might have been made to be upgraded in modular sections while the Soyuz was mission specific only.

As to the batch registries, I still think the likely answer for sudden leaps in registries and lulls refers to Federation expansion- bringing in new member worlds with their own design influences making additional classes as well as the need for rapid mass production of proven classes like the Excelsior during wartime.

If you think on it, it could explain the fluctuation in class ship size by era- during the time before TNG, there was the Cardassian war which seems to have caught Starfleet either unprepared or short of ships- requiring more (and smaller) classes like the BOBW ships- New Orleans, Springfield, Challenger, etc instead of giant designs like the ambassador.
It would also keep shipyards producing Miranda and Excelsior classes- OR possibly bringing those classes out of mothballs and assigning them new registries after refitting as a means of filling gaps during war or crisis and adding ships to "home fleets" of new Federation worlds as protection, training and transport.

Or it's all a TV show. Whichever.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the kind words. I also posted this over at the TrekBBS, and Timo made a suggestion that sounds quite logical. He surmised that the reason why there are so few conjectural class ships might be because they were made for specific missions (i.e. transports, freighters, etc.). That would match with why each conjectural class's registries are so close together within their own classes (i.e. that they were all built at the same point in time, but weren't continued past that point, unlike the Miranda and Excelsior classes which were built over a long period of time.)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps