Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Special projects

Author Topic: Special projects
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O HAI. Still working on my little project after a bit of an unwanted interruptus. Got previous stuff all wonderfully edited & the like (will post it when I'm ready to), but in the meantime I'm doing prep thinking about the follow-on articles to come. That being said, I've been wondering about what I call Starfleet's "special projects". I know the canonical ones & some fandom ones, but I know there's more out there & am looking for suggestions.

What do I mean by special projects? well, consider these:
  • Transwarp Drive Project
  • Genesis
  • Hamalki drive (from the TOS novel “The Wounded Sky”)
  • Omega & the Lantaru Sector Research Station
  • Interdimensional beaming (Elway Theorem, etc.)
  • Intergalactic manned ships (so-called “Galaxy Ships”, from Vonda MacIntyre)
  • Establishment of Department of Temporal Investigations & Temporal Prime Directive
Specifically, I'm looking for things between 2265 & 2285. Descriptions/links help.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the USS Lynx? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always had a soft spot for that weird ship.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if the Dept. Temporal Investigations was started by a Starfleet officer from the future to prevent the future from interfering with the past...

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are useless. Am I really going to have to start a TrekBBS account for this? Ugh.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latest Department of Temporal Investigations novel spins the story of a special project trying to create a dedicated time ship. They took the original warp drive, nacelles and all, from the original NCC-1701 during its refit and started running tests. They called the ship Timeship One. Later on, they got their hands on an abandoned Vedala planetoid and removed the displacement drive and plopped it into a ship, calling it Timeship Two. Lots of shenanigans ensued, the Vedala got pissed and confiscated everything and wiped everyone's minds and evidence. That is, until the ship popped up in 2383...

Arguably, one could count the whole Vanguard station mess to be a special project with much of it ending up classified.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The environmental damage done to Quonos from the explosion of Praxis. Repairing the damage would make a good project for the Federation to undertake following the Khitomer Accords.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps