Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shuttlecraft Terminal Velocity

Author Topic: Shuttlecraft Terminal Velocity
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A truncated version of a blog post of mine here . . .

In brief, the terminal velocity of a Type-6 shuttlecraft . . . the speed it would reach if dropped from a great height . . . is approximately equal to Mach 1 (340 m/s^2) at sea level, and greater than Mach 1 at higher altitudes . . . for instance, at 7500ft, it would be 390 m/s^2.

To calculate this, I used a mass of 29 tonnes based on the density of Voyager and the Delta Flyer, a guessed-at drag coefficient of 0.55, and was able to use SketchUp and a decent model of the shuttle (or at least it was decent until I flattened it like a pancake) to obtain a frontal area of 7.55 m^2, and plugged this in to an equation for estimating terminal velocity.

The interesting visual takeaway is that you could, in principle, have a shuttle diving to the surface and producing transsonic condensation clouds around it right before it smacks, just like in those nifty pics of fighter flybys.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ignore the extra "^2" muscle-memory typos.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps