Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Galaxy Class Saucer Analysis: What is this thing here?

Author Topic: Galaxy Class Saucer Analysis: What is this thing here?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching "The Nth Degree" and delighting at all the unique shots (not reused stock clips of the 1701-D) when I noticed something I've never thought about before.

-

What are those bright blue panels on the back of the saucer there? Skylights overlooking the Officer's swimming pool?

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to some blueprints I Googled (don't know if they're official or not), they are the arboretum windows.

Edit: Yep.

http://www.trekplace.com/article04.html

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, they filled them in with glow for the Bluray editions, fantastic. Don't remember if I've seen them glow in earlier bluray seasons, though. Maybe they only added it to the exterior ship shots unique to specific episodes.

This is also weirdly fitting, since in "The Nth Degree", both Barklay and Troi mention the Arboretum in the middle and end of the episode.

I saw the blue windows in unique space shots of the next-to-last episode as well, "Night Terrors", when the Enterprise releases the hydrogen into space.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nice nod to the usually-blue-lit arboretum windows on the refit's lower forward secondary hull:

-

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

gaghyogi49
Member # 14666

- posted      Profile for gaghyogi49     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The blue arboretum windows have always been lit and weren't just "turned on" for the remastered version of the episodes. Thing is: On the six-foot model, the windows are not lit, only black. On the four-foot model, the windows are lit blue, like in this screenshot from "The Nth Degree". so when the four-footer was introduced in "The Defector", more and more episodes featured shots with the window lights turned on. Before that episode, the windows were always dark.
Nim
Member # 205

That explains it, I haven't seen an extreme closeup of the rear of it until "Night Terrors". I like the attention to detail.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gaghyogi49:
The blue arboretum windows have always been lit and weren't just "turned on" for the remastered version of the episodes. Thing is: On the six-foot model, the windows are not lit, only black. On the four-foot model, the windows are lit blue, like in this screenshot from "The Nth Degree". so when the four-footer was introduced in "The Defector", more and more episodes featured shots with the window lights turned on. Before that episode, the windows were always dark.

Maybe the arboretum has an artifical night- that would make sense for the plants and for the crew, which operate on a sorta day/night system.
That would explain the windows being occasionaly dark.

They might even (on the night shift) set the arboretum up with chinese lanterns or something for ambience, "nighttime" concerts, etc.

I think the ship looks better with the windows lit- though I'd never thought of those glowy lights as the arboretum before- I'd always assumed it was a nod to the Refit's impulse crystal thinger's blue glow- it's in that same general location (due aft of the bridge, at the apex of the connecting neck).

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps