Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 Ships (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 Ships
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice. I do like the fact that his Buran differs from the later, onscreen version.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kyushu is coming, along with a bunch of others! Woot!!
 -  -

Capt. Kaiser
Member # 10511

- posted      Profile for Capt. Kaiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool pics ^_^

--------------------
If your not laughing your not living

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Daedalus class is also coming too!
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty sure the Kyushu model was made with the 1:1400 E-D saucer, custom secondary, and altered 1:1400 E-D engines... and the bridge I speculate (but would need measurements to verify) was a re-pop from the recently-built four-foot E-D miniature.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Pretty sure the Kyushu model was made with the 1:1400 E-D saucer

Yes.

quote:
custom secondary
Like the Buran, the secondary hull was lengthened but still used some of the original kit parts.

quote:
and altered 1:1400 E-D engines
Looks like the engines were lengthened at the ends by adding back pieces from another set of 1/1400 engines, and then the nacelles were either sanded flat or puttied to make them look flat.

quote:
and the bridge I speculate (but would need measurements to verify) was a re-pop from the recently-built four-foot E-D miniature.
I'm not sure how Miarecki would have gotten hold of anything done by Greg Jein, who built the four foot model.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found some more pics here. That gadget supporting the Melbourne's mini engines is positively odd looking. This is looking more and more like a detachable mini-starship, around the size of a Defiant by scale, looks like. Seriously what in the world IS that thing??
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sweet! Finally some pics of the Chekov's underside where we can clearly see the secondary hull and pylons. It looks like instead of two pylons on each side, it's just one with a black line in the middle that fooled us into thinking they were two separate pieces.

The piece in question on the Melbourne is a cockpit from a Robotix toy set. I actually saw it on eBay along with a million other Robotix parts someone was selling. Unfortunately the guy was selling the whole lot as one for a pretty expensive price [Frown]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

I'm also curious what they made the Chekov's secondary hull out of. Doesn't seem to be a standard Galaxy-style, even modified. It also seems to be suffering from Oberthitis, with a lack of a meaningful way of getting down there easily via central connecting dorsal. Then again, these ships are much bigger and I guess you could fit a turbo shaft down either side of the pylons.

And yes, interesting optical illusion that was done there with that black line. SO happy we're finally getting to see these things up close for the first time.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ventral Kyushu! SIDE VIEW OF BURAN!!

Looking at the Chekov pod (which I'd hoped was a detachable mission-specific pod but now looks to be standard issue with an unseen deflector—annoying), I'm wondering if the piece might be a cut-down airplane fuselage with appropriately-reshaped wings. Also, I don't think it was part of the original model, because either there's a TON of transporter emitters there for some weird-ass reason, or about half of them are acting as stand-ins for lifeboat hatches, which is weird as there's proper ones on the rest of the model—unless it's an add-on piece.

So not only does Buran actually have an oddly-staggered nacelle placement, there's not even any pylon for the ventral nacelle?? I think ASDB designer-engineers were doing a whooole lotta space crack in the 2340s.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, it's mind-boggling to think that it took like 25 years for good pictures of those ships to surface. Thanks Mr Sternbach.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Looking at the Chekov pod (which I'd hoped was a detachable mission-specific pod but now looks to be standard issue with an unseen deflector—annoying), I'm wondering if the piece might be a cut-down airplane fuselage with appropriately-reshaped wings. Also, I don't think it was part of the original model, because either there's a TON of transporter emitters there for some weird-ass reason, or about half of them are acting as stand-ins for lifeboat hatches, which is weird as there's proper ones on the rest of the model—unless it's an add-on piece.

I think you're right. I do recall reading somewhere that Miarecki did build it like that because he wanted to ship to resemble the Grissom, but now that I see the model up close, that was probably just bullshit someone made up. It totally does look like an add-on part that wasn't on the original design, and it certainly doesn't look like it came from the original Ent-D model kit as was previously thought.

quote:
So not only does Buran actually have an oddly-staggered nacelle placement, there's not even any pylon for the ventral nacelle?? I think ASDB designer-engineers were doing a whooole lotta space crack in the 2340s.
Yeah, I wonder why Okuda didn't use another sub conning tower as the pylon for the second nacelle. It's not like he wouldn't have had any handy, since he said he and Sternbach bought a bunch of sub model kits.

On that subject, I hope that in the future there are uncovered photos of the Mars defense perimeter drone. That's the one ship we haven't gotten good pics of yet.

--------------------

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

IIRC, that drone was mostly a Typhoon-class sub with nacelles.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Oh yeah, I know what it was made from. We just have never seen photos of the actual model other than screencaps from the episodes it was used in, the best of which was the Soliton waverider:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/newground/24-newground-r.jpg

On the subject of BoBW, its looks like we've managed to identify every object seen at Wolf 359, whether it be a ship or just random wreckage, except for the object directly above the Kyushu in this pic:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/thebestofbothworldsii/08-thebestofbothworldsii-3-r.jpg

It was filmed with the five other Miarecki-built models, and it looks more like a small ship than a random piece of wreckage.

Here it is again directly under the Ent-D's saucer:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/observations/thebestofbothworldsii/08-thebestofbothworldsii-10a-r.jpg

For years I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what that thing is. I assumed everything from the Kotoi shuttlecraft, to the Surak shuttle from TMP, to a Klingon K'T'inga (all available AMT model kits at the time), to an undocumented Miarecki model, to something from another production, to something Okuda or Sternbach might have thrown together at the last minute. Unfortunately, in the Bluray special features, this object is still not seen clearly at all even during the different VFX passes shown.

--------------------

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd bet solid money on that object being the back end of a K'Tinga.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.