Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 Ships (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 Ships
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^The problem with that is that I have an unbuilt Klingon battlecruiser model kit, and I can't arrange or rearrange the parts to make it look like the object in that screencap.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Capt. Kaiser
Member # 10511

- posted      Profile for Capt. Kaiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supposdly the object your discussing is the Soup Box TNG shuttle from the Art of Star Trek book

--------------------
If your not laughing your not living

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soup box shuttle? Do you mean the damaged shuttle model Greg Jein built? Pretty sure that's not it.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Capt. Kaiser
Member # 10511

- posted      Profile for Capt. Kaiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Soup box shuttle? Do you mean the damaged shuttle model Greg Jein built? Pretty sure that's not it.

Yeah that

--------------------
If your not laughing your not living

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Pretty sure the Kyushu model was made with the 1:1400 E-D saucer, custom secondary, and altered 1:1400 E-D engines... and the bridge I speculate (but would need measurements to verify) was a re-pop from the recently-built four-foot E-D miniature.

--Jonah

NO.
It's a 2500th kitbash.

Okay, I realise you're not all model builders, so here goes:
The 1400th model was BIG- and covered with raised aztec patterns which would have needed many hours od painstaking sanding down to get smooth (as my modeler bretheren will tell you- it's a nightmare).
Also, did I mention how BIG the thing is? Far to large for even the biggest stabilo markers to work as those pods.

And there's the stuff that's inaccurate on the 2500th model kit which is part of the New Orleans model- mainly that inaccurate impulse engine at the base of the "neck" and the too-sharp edge of the saucer.

Next is the New Orleans bridge- which really IS a 1400th scale part (the only one)- complete with the (inaccurate) recessed (on this part only) bridge detail and too-large skylight (which has it's tiny clear bit of styrene missing on the NO build).

For the NO to have used 1400th saucer, secondary hull and nacelle parts, they'd have needed maybe five hours to sand it all smooth, then they'd have had to scratch up a custom bridge (compete with matching 1400th scale kit inaccuracies- only larger), they'd need to sand off the 1400th kit's impulse engine and scratch up an inaccurate one to match the misplaced and mis-detailed 2500th version, sanded the inner saucer down to be so thin and lastly...

They have had to fill in the HUNDREDS OF RECESSED WINDOWS on the 1400th scale kit. Seriously deep recessed windows. All over the kit.
Hours more work to just do that alone.

Remember guys- the whole point of buying store-bought kits was that time was a critical factor, so using a 1400th scale kit makes zero sense.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Sorry Jason, but it's been definitively proven that the Kyushu was made with 1/1400 parts and heavily modified by Miarecki to look the same size as the Ahwahnee, Chekov and Buran. Photos of the models confirm this.

[ March 05, 2016, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not going to address the scale issue directly (not enough experience), but I'll point out that the Kyushu pods are definitely NOT the markers that were used for the Chekov and Ahwahnee nacelles.

Edit: never mind, I just checked EAS and those are just different markers. Don't mind me.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: look at the shuttlebay doors; you can see they're separate recessed pieces. Look at the saucer rim & the way it blends into the dorsal, & look at that main impulse deck as well as the saucer ones. Finally, you can see how the warp field grilles in the nacelles have those pain in the ass gaps up front we all hated.

Sorry, boychik; I believed it was 1/2500 forever as well, but based on those elements (& I AM a modeler, you know that...or was..) I'm forced to agreed 1/1400 parts were used.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1572/23721357253_90584c059a_o.jpg

The Kyushu is the saucer seen at the left of this pic. It is clearly much larger than the Ahwahnee and Buran in the same pic.

--------------------

Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The Kyushu is the saucer seen at the left of this pic. It is clearly much larger than the Ahwahnee and Buran in the same pic.

Now that I had a closer look at the picture of the original Miarecki ships above, the saucer at left doesn't appear to match accurately the Kyushu, nor any of the known BoBW ships for that matter. [Confused]
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that unknown ship is the Kyushu with an extra row of windows and escape pods. It's otherwise very close, and there's just enough room on the finished model for that row.

Since the Buran was modified after the shot, why not the Kyushu too?

It's definitely not the Melbourne, though, the Melbourne had no modifications to its saucer.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andru:
quote:

Now that I had a closer look at the picture of the original Miarecki ships above, the saucer at left doesn't appear to match accurately the Kyushu, nor any of the known BoBW ships for that matter. [Confused]
Definitely not the Kyushu- too many windows and I think the lifeboats are wrong too.
Back on page 1, there's two pics that show the Kyushu- one on a coffe cup- which would need to be 6" across if the ship uses 1400 scale parts and a top view.
Compare the top view of the saucer with the Springfield top view- tge saucers are identical- right down to the inaccurate 2500th phaser ring and molded on (and too small) saucer impulse engines.
The 1400th scale Galaxy saucer is much different- and, as mentioned, has tons of raised AND recessed details missing from the Kyushu model.

I wish Fructose was still around- or his website was- as he had a brilliant rebuild using 2500th parts. It was an exact match.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I think that unknown ship is the Kyushu with an extra row of windows and escape pods. It's otherwise very close, and there's just enough room on the finished model for that row.

Since the Buran was modified after the shot, why not the Kyushu too?

It's definitely not the Melbourne, though, the Melbourne had no modifications to its saucer.

The black marks at the very front of the saucers are the same. It's the Kyushu. As for the missing escape pod hatches, just look at the Buran. Its hatches were removed too to be able to get the ship's name and registry number affixed, so that's probably what happened with the Kyushu too.

But there's an even easier way to determine this. Take a Shwann Stabilo marker of the kind that Okuda used to make the Kyushu's pods, and stick them on both a 1/2500 saucer and a 1/1400 saucer, and you'll see that they fit the 1/1400 saucer like in this top view:

http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx320/gebirg137/Star%20Trek/kyushu2_zpsmzl4bwir.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I wish Fructose was still around- or his website was- as he had a brilliant rebuild using 2500th parts. It was an exact match.

I remember that site, and his model, which was made from a 1/2500 kit. I also distinctly remember him saying that he found out later that the original Kyushu was made from a 1/1400 kit. The pods he used on his model were not the Stabilo markers (because they would have been too big) but rather something he came up with himself.

I have pics of his Kyushu model somewhere. I know for a fact that the pods he used did not look like the markers.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, in that picture, the portside saucer engine is missing. They're integral on the 1/2500 hull but a separate piece—just like that—on the 1/1400.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ That is a VERY good point. Never noticed that before. Could the base model from this been something else entirely? Were there other lower-scale models or toys of the E-D available at the time that might have had separate engine cowels? I think the only other thing was the Playmates toy - the Diamond Select toys weren't available yet, I don't think.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps