Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Wolf 359 Ships (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wolf 359 Ships
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure the Playmates Enterprise-D wasn't around yet when BoBW was filmed. The AMT model kits were literally brand-new at the time, much less any toys that accurately represented the ship in that size.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Playmates Enterprise D came in 1992 or 93, so it is certainly not in the running.
137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intriguing. This feels like another mystery. Was there ever a version of the 3-ship 1:2500 kit where the impulse engines were separate pieces? I don't recall that being the case. I'm really curious about this...
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. 1/2500 Galaxys had integral all the way.
137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all - Valdore over at Starship Modeler found the "coffin box" piece used on both the Chekhov and the Nebula prototype. Link here.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The link asks for a username and password.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

Oops. Sorry about that. I guess, having an account there, I never noticed it was required just to look at posts. Here's the original post:
quote:
From Valdore:

Hi all,

Ok. So it's 5am. I should be sleeping, but couldn't. So, what better way to to pass the early hours than googling old toys from my childhood. Y'know, as you do.

Anyhoo. Long story short. I found the USS Chekov's pod!!!!!!

Basically, the pod was the cockpit cover from a few of the Scitex toys from 1987. ( In this case the Sand cruizer. The Groster also had that part. ) And looks fairly unmodified. The toys were produced by Tomy. So they're a stable mate for the Zoids brand. Which is why the damn part seemed so familiar to me when the new photos of the Wolf 359 ships came to light. For all I know, the Zoids, and Scitex's may have had interchangeable parts. Lol

Anyway. Spread the word. Just checked eBay, and came up with zip. So even though l think I've found it. It'd probably still be easier to scratch the bloody thing. Always the way Rolling Eyes

Edit: Make that 5:18am. It took me 18 minutes to write the above on my tablet. Lol

Edit 2: Still looking, and the piece was also part of the Tomy Tomics range, as seen here from the site CollectinDX

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/1987/treadmaster

Of note is the cranes arm. That's where the part is. Originally, seems the part was a dark, smoked piece. That's seems to have the scribe lines, hinge, and the square detail underneath, exactly matching the Chekov's pod.

Awesome. I Wonder why they only used that piece though? Bloody thing is packed with usable greeblies.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Amazing catch.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

Thanks very much! I can't take full credit for the find, though. Valdore did most of the heavy lifting. [Smile]

In other news, Eaglemoss has released a pic of the New Orleans-class USS Kyushu prototype. Aside from the grid lines and escape pods from being a little overly-pronounced for the scale, it's quite a faithful representation. Quite amazing, considering the analog nature of the source material.

Also note it's sitting on a mug, not unlike the original. Someone at Eaglemoss has really been paying attention - LOVE these guys! [Big Grin]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

That's the pod/cockpit, all right. And it'll probably be next to impossible to find.

However, on the same subject, I also managed to find an elusive part: the rear piece to the U.S.S. Hutzel kitbash:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Vwus_QCK5TI/UVtU_k6GjOI/AAAAAAAAA2g/RmW3DcuNeMk/s1600/hutzel2.jpg

It's a part from the Robotix toys. I found them on eBay, but the seller didn't only sell one, so I ended up with like 15 of them, lol. Maybe I can sell them to people who want to build a replica.

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/341/hutzel1.jpg

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/341/hutzel2.jpg

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I was trying to avoid and/or divest physical models in favor of digital ones, but I am afraid I will have to own the New Orleans Class. We all have our favorite non-star ships and that frigate is mine. Of course, I prefer her without what I imagine to be the special mission pods, but whatever.

And Dukhat, props (no pun intended) to being unfazed by bulk purchasing requirements. :-)

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps