Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Star Trek Beyond's USS Franklin (*SPOILERS*) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Star Trek Beyond's USS Franklin (*SPOILERS*)
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, well, and an age of sail frigate has no chance against a guided missile frigate.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw the movie again. In Edison's Starfleet records another registry is given for the Franklin: NCC-7317
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would not be the first starship with two registries at the same time!
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:
The ship was commissioned some time between 2140ish and 2150ish.

If the history is the same as in ENT, it would have to be between 2145 and 2150, the former being the year the Warp 3 barrier was first broken and the latter being the year NX-01's keel was laid as per "First Flight," whose main flashback sequences can be reliably dated to 2143 by the reference to Archer having known Tucker (to whom he is introduced in "First Flight") for 8 yeas in "Unexpected" (set mid-2151).

quote:
After 2161 (the foundation of the UFP) the ship was still being used.
Moreover, she was recommissioned with a new dedication plaque, as it refers to the UFP.

quote:
- The registry was kept.
- The registry is higher then the one for Enterprise because the numbering schema was 'resetted' for the NX-01.

These are complete speculation by the authors of the article without basis in what Highsmith said. She could have had a completely different registry number before being recommissioned and "reclassified" by the UFP.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trekcore has an article about concept art produced for the movie. It shows the Enterprise A and the Franklin (which was originally called the Pioneer and had the nacelles on the bottom).

http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/08/stunning-new-star-trek-beyond-concept-art-released/

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Don't care much for the E-A concept. The neck and pylons don't agree with me at all.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so it's pre-Enterprise (the show) in era, but went missing post-Enterprise? That explains the one thing that puzzled me, that a seriously pissed-at-the-world ex-MACO Major with PTSD would be given command of what was referred to in the film as a ground-breaking (for its time) experimental starship. In fact, it was actually past it when he took command.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Franklin was probably one of my favorite things about Beyond, tbh.

I don't find it too difficult to fit her into the tech timeline either. We know there were other ships in Earth's fleet other than Enterprise, since they showed up in "The Expanse". What's there to say that the Franklin wasn't the precursor to those ships?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think the Warp 4-line is a mistake. Warp 6 makes much more sense unless you want to come up with an overly complicated explanation why a vessel with the registry NX-326 predates the NX-01.
I don't think it has to be overly complicated:

When the Federation was created, the starships of the various member worlds were added to Starfleet. The Franklin's new registry became NX-326, although presumably it had a different registry prior. I think the only question is why it had an NX registry instead of NCC, but there are also likely relatively simple explanations for that (perhaps Starfleet initially used NX as a permanent code for the lead ship in any class).

The dedication plaque on the bridge specifically references the United Federation of Planets, so likely this plaque was added after the ship joined Starfleet.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure we'll ever really make sense of it, because there was little (consistent) sense applied when it was all devised. The NX prefix could conceivably have been applied to all "legacy" starships re-registered as UFP-Starfleet vessels, and then later honoured by being repurposed again to denote a prototype class ship. And then the waters get muddied further by later redesignating said class ships from NX to NCC...

But, none of what I just said then explains why the NX-01 does not count as the first Enterprise in Starfleet proper. Unless we want to assume that all the dedication plaques making it clear that the Ent-null was by implication the first one in Starfleet (what with the A being second, E sixth etc.) were never seen that clearly onscreen so aren't canon!

But it's still stupid. The 1701-A is the "second starship to bear the name" not the "second starship IN STARFLEET to bear the name". The NX-01 was a starship. And quite an important one historically. It did all that stuff. Zefram bloody Cochrane wanted it to be called Enterprise... for some reason nobody believed, but still. But for some reason it doesn't count - and then, they don't call another ship Enterprise for EIGHTY FIVE YEARS?!

It is in short utterly nonsensical...

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
But, none of what I just said then explains why the NX-01 does not count as the first Enterprise in Starfleet proper. Unless we want to assume that all the dedication plaques making it clear that the Ent-null was by implication the first one in Starfleet (what with the A being second, E sixth etc.) were never seen that clearly onscreen so aren't canon!

But it's still stupid. The 1701-A is the "second starship to bear the name" not the "second starship IN STARFLEET to bear the name". The NX-01 was a starship. And quite an important one historically. It did all that stuff. Zefram bloody Cochrane wanted it to be called Enterprise... for some reason nobody believed, but still. But for some reason it doesn't count - and then, they don't call another ship Enterprise for EIGHTY FIVE YEARS?!

It is in short utterly nonsensical...

UE ships don't count when the organization was transferred & became UFP Starfleet.

Anyway, Abramsverse is all AU bullshit, so it doesn't have to play by the Primeverse rules, just like the Discoverse.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
Member # 393

As with the USS Kelvin, the Franklin predates the Abramsverse’s point of divergence. That’s a fact.

And why wouldn’t UE ships count? Were they all scrapped and a new fleet started from scratch?

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuck "point of divergence". It's all AU, start to finish. Nothing was in Prime.

UE ships don't count unless they were transferred to UFP Starfleet. NX-01 wasn't, so it doesn't count.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
Member # 393

“Fascinating. Every word you just said was wrong.”

Have you maybe considered finding a different franchise? Nothing in current Trek seems to float your boat, and not going to lie, this constant strop you seem to be in about it is getting rather old…

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

Abramsverse & Discoverse are simply unreconcilable with earlier production, & deliberately so, it seems. Not to say pre-2006 Trek was a fully solid institution, but there was least a dedicated effort to try & make it fit. Not so with the rest. Rationalizing it all away as full AU (with attendant on-screen evidence to support the claim) is really the only way I can not stroke out when I watch it. I want to at least try & enjoy the new stuff because it's still fairly good (well, not the Abramsverse, that's totally awful. ...and Picard's writing was pretty bad. And Discovery is a good show but pretty bad Star Trek for the first couple seasons.)

Also, it's fairly evident that UE Starfleet & UFP Starfleet are different organizations. The latter is formed from the former, but they are not the same entity.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.