Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New series ship revealed! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New series ship revealed!
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Discovery NCC-1031!

Guessing post-Enterprise, pre-TOS based on the registry.

Also, I hate the pylons. A lot.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God-fucking-DAMMIT.

Thanks, "Star Trek: Discovery". You just invalidated 10 fucking years of work for me. Fuck you.

Well, I guess I might as well stop fucking writing & put everything on fucking hold until all this shit is done with. This is PRECISELY why I never wanted a new fucking series in the first fucking place.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's based on the Ralph McQuarry Enterprise from the scrapped Planet of the Titans film. I like it. Moreover, this might dovetail nicely with the appearance of the McQuarry-prise study model in Star Trek III and Unification.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like they may have taken more than a little inspiration from McQuarrie's pre-TMP Enterprise concept.

So, it sounds like the show is not going to be set post-TOS/pre-TMP, and, if the name of the starring ship is in the title, it sounds like it's not going to be an anthology series, either. Sounds like everything we've heard up till this has been lies.

Edit : Good grief. This whole forum gets, like, two posts a month these days, and I still somehow get sniped by one minute.

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed that there are no markings on the ship, e.g. the Starfleet arrow, just the name and the registry.

The registry on the underside of the saucer is arranged in the same fashion as on the Enterprise during TOS - another indication that this is indeed Pre-TOS?

We even have the same red/green position lights...

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm a happy camper!

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Looks like they may have taken more than a little inspiration from McQuarrie's pre-TMP Enterprise concept.

Yes, and not only the ship itself, but its asteroid base from his concept art!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some fans are really butt-hurt by the design, saying its ugly and doesn't look like Starfleet at all. Moreover, they seem unable or unwilling to understand this is a test footage. Geez, no pleasing some people.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McQuarrie has clarified on Twitter that the Planet of the Titans design was actually Ken Adam's concept.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there's anything to necessarily invalidate the post-TOS/pre-TMP theory. They could be going against the grain by having an older ship niostead of a brand-new/only-one-of-its-kind ship class like most of the previous shows have.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose that's possible, but I think the rumor implied that it would be somewhere in the middle of the between-TOS-and-TNG time, rather than immediately after TOS. But, I didn't mean to imply that the rumors had been very likely to be true in the first place. Just that they turned out not to be.

Although, one apparently was true, in that they've confirmed that the show is set in the original timeline. Though, now that we know it might be well before TOS, it's possible it could be in both timelines, as in the time when they were the same timeline.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Though, now that we know it might be well before TOS, it's possible it could be in both timelines, as in the time when they were the same timeline.

Not that Fuller is necessarily of the same view, but FWIW, Simon Pegg has recently suggested that this may not be the case (emphasis as in original):

With the Kelvin timeline, we are not entirely beholden to existing canon, this is an alternate reality and, as such is full of new and alternate possibilities. “BUT WAIT!” I hear you brilliant and beautiful super Trekkies cry, “Canon tells us, Hikaru Sulu was born before the Kelvin incident, so how could his fundamental humanity be altered? Well, the explanation comes down to something very Star Treky; theoretical, quantum physics and the less than simple fact that time is not linear. Sure, we experience time as a contiguous series of cascading events but perception and reality aren’t always the same thing. Spock’s incursion from the Prime Universe created a multidimensional reality shift. The rift in space/time created an entirely new reality in all directions, top to bottom, from the Big Bang to the end of everything. As such this reality was, is and always will be subtly different from the Prime Universe. I don’t believe for one second that Gene Roddenberry wouldn’t have loved the idea of an alternate reality (Mirror, Mirror anyone?). This means, and this is absolutely key, the Kelvin universe can evolve and change in ways that don’t necessarily have to follow the Prime Universe at any point in history, before or after the events of Star Trek ‘09, it can mutate and subvert, it is a playground for the new and the progressive and I know in my heart, that Gene Roddenberry would be proud of us for keeping his ideals alive. Infinite diversity in infinite combinations, this was his dream, that is our dream, it should be everybody’s.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw the trailer and raced right here.

1. Assuming, probably graciously, that they are aiming to keep to Prime designs, the ship would be showing ENT bronzy hull, a registry suggesting a build date between 2195 and 2215 or thereabouts, font and registry placement choices consistent with TOS, dual-ball TMP-style phaser banks in high numbers, and unprecedented nacelle shape with a damned odd multitude of Bussard collectors.

In short, it is a bit of a mess but potentially workable under certain conditions I'm not very interested in.

2. Pegg is right. Once you F with Kirk, for instance, you F with any point in the timeline that Kirk F'ed with. It's like temporal herpes.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. This is even uglier than the Vengeance.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, no one has mentioned notifying it on subspace. I am disappointed in all of you. ;-)

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

double, delete

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps