Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Best TUC "Operation Retrieve" and Starship Mission Assignment list pics yet!

Author Topic: Best TUC "Operation Retrieve" and Starship Mission Assignment list pics yet!
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recently came across these, and I don't think they ever got posted in any of our old threads on this:

"Operation Retrieve" cover
"Operation Retrieve" page 1
"Operation Retrieve" page 2
"Operation Retrieve" page 3
"Operation Retrieve" page 4

The starship names rendered barely legible on the final page due to damage to the prop are listed in Bjo Trimble's revised Star Trek Concordance: Challenger, Constellation, Scovill (see note below), Lantree, Oberth, Emden, Korolev, and Ahwahnee. This final page was not shown onscreen in any version of the film, but the same list of ships was also used on multiple computer displays on the Enterprise-A bridge in the film. I tracked down the shots in which the list is most visible (at upper right; smaller version also at lower left in the second two):

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/StarshipMissionAssignment1.jpg
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/StarshipMissionAssignment2.jpg
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/646/StarshipMissionAssignment3.jpg

The assignments themselves would be next to impossible to make out from the screencaps alone, but here again the Concordance helps us out:

USS EXCELSIOR NCC-2000: DEEP SPACE EXPLORATION
USS POTEMKIN NCC-1657: SCIENTIFIC SURVEY MISSION
USS JOHN MUIR NCC-1732: SYSTEM UPGRADE
USS HELIN NCC-1692: NEUTRAL ZONE PATROL

USS ENDEAVOUR NCC-1895: DEEP SPACE EXPLORATION
USS EAGLE NCC-956: COLONY RESUPPLY
USS REPUBLIC NCC-1371: NEUTRAL ZONE PATROL
USS KONGO NCC-1710: NEUTRAL ZONE PATROL
USS WHORFIN NCC-1024: DEEP SPACE EXPLORATION*
USS SPRINGFIELD NCC-1963: NEUTRAL ZONE PATROL

USS CHALLENGER NCC-2032: DEEP SPACE EXPLORATION
USS CONSTELLATION NX-1974: CERTIFICATION TESTS
USS SCOVILL NCC-1598: ASTRONOMICAL RESEARCH
USS LANTREE NCC-1837: COLONY RESUPPLY
USS OBERTH NCC-602: DEEP SPACE EXPLORATION
USS EMDEN NCC-1856: NEUTRAL ZONE PATROL
USS KOROLEV NCC-2014: DIPLOMATIC MISSION
USS AHWAHNEE NCC-2048: DEEP SPACE EXPLORATION

*The Concordance says: "A deep space exploration ship seen on a mission assignment listing, it is on neutral zone patrol." But by comparison to the other listings, we can see that it is the former rather than the latter which is on the display.

I would assume the locations are the same between the two charts, except there does appear to be at least one variation, in that the Constellation is listed on the "Retrieve" chart as being in Sector 23006, whereas it is at Starbase 24 per the mission assignment list. On the other hand, the Concordance suggests that the locations of the John Muir (also Starbase 24), Helin (Sector 21290), and Lantree (Sector 22858) are indeed the same on both.

NOTE: The Concordance misspells the Endeavour and Scovill's names as Endeavor and Scovil, respectively. Another oddity regarding the Scovill previously pointed out here is that the Concordance says she is named for "Jack Scovil [sic], American astronaut" but internet searches turn up no mention of any such individual. There was a literary agent by that name whose clients included Arthur C. Clarke and Carl Sagan, though. I wonder if maybe she was told by Okuda that he named it for this Scovil (with the "astronaut" bit being an "honorary" appellation due to his contribution to space literature) and he inadvertently misspelled the name? (I haven't communicated with Okuda in a long time and I don't think the e-mail address I had for him is still valid; it would be nice if someone who knows how to get in touch with him currently could look into this possibility. Not that it's of any particularly great importance, of course.) In any case, the name on the chart and the display is clearly Scovill, with two 'l's.

IMAGE SOURCES:
"Operation Retrieve" prop pictures from here. Screenshots of Starship Mission Status display from here.

[ August 18, 2016, 05:26 AM: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff! It's a shame that the prop was damaged in such a way, but at least we still have pictures from better days:

Operation Retrieve 5

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Andru:
Great stuff! It's a shame that the prop was damaged in such a way, but at least we still have pictures from better days:

Operation Retrieve 5

To be clear, I believe the prop was already damaged at the point those pictures were taken, and they were simply photoshopped to fill in the blanks.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack Scovil may have been the agent for Bjo or a friend, but I find a Charles Scovil, former curator of Stamford Observatory in Stamford, CT, for 51 years—mostly likely the "real" namesake, given that Helin is named for astronomer Eleanor Helin.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I would think the "real" namesake in-universe is neither, but rather someone named Scovill.

--------------------

Capt. Kaiser
Member # 10511

- posted      Profile for Capt. Kaiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so how or why was it damaged?

--------------------
If your not laughing your not living

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

According to the current owner:

"Because after ST:VI TUC wrapped, these were thrown in the trash heap. GASP!!! Yup, we all know that's what they did back then. But we can all thank Penny Juday for rescuing them."

--------------------

Capt. Kaiser
Member # 10511

- posted      Profile for Capt. Kaiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahh well thank goodness for people like her [Smile]

--------------------
If your not laughing your not living

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, the Eagle, Emden, and Ahwahnee have long been thought to be Connies based on their silhouettes, with the Eagle's smaller size thought to be from perspective, but with the Emden and Ahwahnee being smaller than Endeavour on the little side-chart I am no longer convinced of this.

Edit: Actually, the Emden looks like a regular Connie on the prior, wider-scale page, so nevermind. The size differences of the ship icons are thus just confusing.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, they meant Chuck, not Jack . . . Shik is right: http://www.stamford-observatory.com/charles_e_scovil.html

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
Y'know, the Eagle, Emden, and Ahwahnee have long been thought to be Connies based on their silhouettes, with the Eagle's smaller size thought to be from perspective, but with the Emden and Ahwahnee being smaller than Endeavour on the little side-chart I am no longer convinced of this.

Edit: Actually, the Emden looks like a regular Connie on the prior, wider-scale page, so nevermind. The size differences of the ship icons are thus just confusing.

The only real problem is Emden, as Korolev doesn't show up on the other page and Potemkin still has the same (large) silhouette. The smaller ship could be the silhouette of a TOS-Constitution (the pylon angle seems to be different). Still, assuming that the size of the silhouette is meant to represent the actual ship size (Excelsior is still larger than the C-refits, after all), it might be intended to represent a different class alltogether.

-

-

First is Endeavour, second is little ship upscaled, third is little ship original size, from page 3 of the chart.

Second pic is a comparison of top view silhouettes

[ March 12, 2017, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Amasov Prime ]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Padsbrat
Member # 2218

- posted      Profile for Padsbrat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt the production team went to the trouble of establishing a class and design for the Emden and other unknown vessels in the presentation. To me the silhouette looks very arbitrary and certainly not a pre-refit constitution class. The nacelle pylons are too thick.

It is likely a case of a hastily drawn silhouette purely for illustration purposes.

--------------------
Padsbrat

a.k.a bmused55

My Blog: http://lcarsgfx.wordpress.com
MSD Print shop: http://www.photoboxgallery.com/lcarsgfx

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I'd have to agree. As much as we'd like to see something different, they just seem to be silhouettes of a TMP Connie in two different sizes. Why they are two different sizes is a mystery, as well as if the silhouettes are supposed to be literal representations of their classes. The only "evidence" that they could be all Connies is that the silhouette for the Excelsior is the actual Excelsior and not another Connie.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps