Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » How much do we hate the Discovery? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How much do we hate the Discovery?
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link Spike, and the support Shik. I thought I was alone in recognizing that even the Nimoy character from the JJ movies was not our Spock.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still don't buy it. This is Pegg's interpretation to support a minor plot point in thr third film in what is to all intents & purposes a trilogy. He may be a good friend of Abrams (to whom he owes his whole career really - if not for the three of his films Abrams cast him in, Pegg would be no more than a minor comedy actor known for the Cornetto Trilogy and a few anodyne romantic comedies) but his input into the foundation of the Abramsverse was minimal to non-existent.

(Now, even I can point to little things which support your viewpoint, One is the comic released to support the 2009 film, depicting the background to Spock's mission to save Romulus. In it, Data is the captain of the Enterprise and it's never explained how. So either he's an upgraded/re-programmed B-4 - or it's a universe where he didn't die in Nemesis...)

The whole point of Old Spock being there is that he is OUR Spock. Theere's nothing there to suggest otherwise. If that was the intent, they'd have made more of it. And probably pissed off a lot of people.

And why try to say he's not OUR Spock just to explain ONE slightly-unusual ship design? OK there's also the whole storm in a teacup of whether Sulu was gay or not. Which wouldn't exist if Takei hadn't said he didn't think Sulu was gay. OK, on the one hand he played the character on and off for 30 years; on the other, Sulu's sexuality was never once mentioned (just that he had a child, well, that's still there in Beyond). What Sulu is, that he wasn't perhaps "played as gay," is irrelevant because he is in the end a great helmsman, commander, father - and human being. THAT'S the true message of Trek - that it doesn't matter he's a "different colour" or might be gay.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't buy the argument that Spock Prime came from a different timeline. Every appearance and reference in the three movies directly supports that he's the same Spock that we knew and loved for 50 years.

The Jellyfish stardate is a damn annoying gaffe though, especially because the JJ-stardates aren't really stardates at all, they're just disguised Gregorian calendar dates. My rationalization is that the Jellyfish computer translated the dates into the local equivalent. Obviously the computer picked up on the local Federation time beacons and adjusted accordingly. (Just like how we sometimes convert historical dates from Julian to Gregorian or vice versa.)

(Please note that the argument of Spock Prime's origin is a separate discussion from whether the JJ-verse is an alternate universe or alternate timeline. I think that's a discussion for another thread.)

And finally, to wrench the discussion back on track, have we actually seen any more footage of the Discovery? I don't recall seeing it in the last teaser... just the second wireframe with the down-slung nacelles.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the ending of Star Trek Beyond implicitly shows that old Spock is of the Prime Universe. He had a picture of the Enterprise crew from Star Trek VI which nu-Spock inherited. What would have been the point of that scene and image if Old Spock was not from the Prime Universe? It certainly couldn't be of the nu-crew since unfortunately we know Chekov won't make it and the image shows an older Chekov.

I like the Discovery design, it has a heavy industrial look that I usually associate with Star Wars vessels. I'm not so sure of that wireframe ship design. It looks a bit too TNG for me, like what a 24th century Miranda class should have looked like. But I reserve judgement until I see the actuall textured design.

If you really want to get mad, have a look at the 'Klingons' for the show.
http://ncc-1031.com/heres-how-klingons-look-in-star-trek-discovery-and-why-its-a-big-deal/

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no! The Klingons from Discovery might look different from the Klingons on the JJ-verse, which looked different from the Klingons of TNG and post-The Search for Spock, which looked different from the Klingons of The Motion Picture, which looked different from the Klingons of TOS!

Makeup, like starships and other technology, is going to evolve based on contemporary production standards. Why are you surprised?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I'm surprised,I just find them odd. They remind of the Yuuzhan Vong from ye olde Star Wars Continuity. But then again they are alien, and I guess aliens are suppossed to be y'know alien looking.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't find it right now, but I saw where the guy who leaked that picture admitted that he actually has no idea what aliens those are, and he just thought they kind of looked like Klingons.
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, they might not be Klingons. But even if they are, I don't think that's a bad look for them.

And we don't know how many Klingons were ultimately affected by the Augment virus, nor do we know exactly when they started restoring themselves, so I don't think this blatantly breaks continuity either.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in on the betting for "not Klingons", or at least not unmodified/half ones.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gut instinct says they're "proto-Klingons" from VERY long ago, that were found on that ancient "sarcophagus ship" (read - "sarcophagus" = long-term cryogenic freeze containers). This would explain how they sort-of look like Klingons, with quasi-similar costumes, but don't. Their culture and personalities could be totally different, and possibly even pre-date the Hur'q invasion by millennia - an event that likely changed Klingon culture into what we saw in the 22nd-24th centuries. Hell, these ancient Klingons may even be gentle pacifists!
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.eaglemoss.com/en-gb/sci-fi-fantasy/star-trek-discovery/

Eaglemoss states that the Discovery is a Crossfield class vessel.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps