Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Discovery Starships (Page 2)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Discovery Starships
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeez, HD and the omnipresence of the internet ruins everything. Back in 1997 we argued for about a year over just four new designs in First Contact. Now we have names, registries, even classes at the drop of a hat.

That's, what, nine new classes now? What a time to be alive. My shiplist file has gotten longer from four episodes of DSC than it did from four seasons of ENT...

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The T'Plana Hath is gorgeous. And I really liked the Klingon battlecruiser, just enough semblance to the D2 and Negh'Var to send out that klingon vibe, but the engineering hull is a totally new aesthetic, practical instead of tear-shaped.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Episode 3:

USS Crossfield Crossfield
USS Discovery NCC-1031 Crossfield
USS Glenn NCC-1040 Crossfield

Akiva Goldsmith has stated there were only two Crossfield class starships in existance. With the events of the 3rd episode, there is now only one:

https://trekmovie.com/2017/10/09/producer-promises-star-trek-discovery-will-address-apparent-deviations-from-canon/

"We are ten years before The Original Series…Where Constitution Class ships are in comparison to where this Discovery prototype – well one of two prototypes, well now one of one prototypes – are technologically is obviously a variant."

There probably isn't a Crossfield class USS Crossfield.

Capt. Kaiser
Member # 10511

- posted      Profile for Capt. Kaiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love the new designs despite feeling like they belong to a far more advanced era.

--------------------
If your not laughing your not living

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Akiva Goldsmith has stated there were only two Crossfield class starships in existance.
Which could just mean that the USS Crossfield was destroyed or never finished.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

gaghyogi49
Member # 14666

- posted      Profile for gaghyogi49     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
The T'Plana Hath is gorgeous. And I really liked the Klingon battlecruiser, just enough semblance to the D2 and Negh'Var to send out that klingon vibe, but the engineering hull is a totally new aesthetic, practical instead of tear-shaped.

I'm looking forward to getting a better look at all the new Klingon ships. I especially like the one that looks closest to previous Klingon designs. Kol uses a ship of that design in "The butcher's knife cares not for the lambs cry". I guess we're talking about the same ship? ;-)
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:

There probably isn't a Crossfield class USS Crossfield.

(Headdesk.gif)

As for registries, if these were supposed to be testbeds . . . floating labs to test starship systems . . . that'd be cool enough. But these seem to be frontline combat ships, which nerfs that idea.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did Starfleet start naming ship classes after the prototype ship? The earliest definitive example was the Excelsior. The Constitution class is named Starship class on the Enterprise dedication plaque, and Enterprise (the series) didn't follow this naming convention with the NX-class. Discovery could be evidence that classes were not originally named after the first ship produced at least until the 2260s (when the name Constitution-class appears on technical displays in TOS). Then again, Spike could be right, and it could be that the first ship of a class was seen as a test-bed and never pressed into active service until the launch of the USS Excelsior under Sulu.
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amasov Prime:
Here's a pdf for you. Not formatted or edited or anything, just something I typed down to get some structure into things regarding the battle of the bynary stars. Working on... something else, but I might as well include DSC. [Smile] Tell me if I missed something.
Analysis of BOBS (pdf)

Someone, give this member a job at ex-astris.

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess there are all sorts of reasons why there might not be a class ship (for any given class:
- Non-flight testbed
- Project name only - which would certainly tie in with the number of flight pioneers we've seen having names assigned to classes (we could eentually find that all these assorted -type ships we've seen at the Binary Stars are actually Gagarin-class, etc - Leonov, Tereshkova, Aldrin (!), Shepard, Glenn (!!), Grissom (!!!)...)
- Secrecy
- etc.

Are there any real-life examples of having twinned prototypes? Becauase the only thing I can think of is, er, the Victory and Excalibur from B5: Crusade...

--------------------

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brown_supahero:
quote:
Here's a pdf for you. Not formatted or edited or anything, just something I typed down to get some structure into things regarding the battle of the bynary stars. Working on... something else, but I might as well include DSC. [Smile] Tell me if I missed something.
Analysis of BOBS (pdf)

Or at least a job at Trekyards haha. But only if he likes making hour long analysis videos on 4 seconds of footage.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Lee
Member # 393

Ah, Trekyards are OK. Well, sometimes. Sometimes they are spot on, and produce a really well-rounded episode; other times, it's plain the format doesn't lend itself to what they're trying to discuss and it just meanders.

TrekMovie's Shuttlepod PodCast is the worst culprit though. Christ do they have some elementary gaps in their Trek knowledge. And they come across as really up themselves sometimes. Yes, Kayla, we get it, you're a real scientist. And the guy with the nasal voice, he literally has the worst voice in Podcasting history. Nicely offset by the third guy, who apparently records his part form inside a steel drum in his bathroom.Frankly given the extended love-in they're having with DSC and the access tney're obviously getting, they're throwing any notions of impartiality out the window and signing up as a full-time adjunct of CBS' marketing division.

Basically, I hate other Trekkies. I don't know any in real life, I prefer to talk to you at a distance, it's better all round for everybody!

Gosh, I haven't ranted on here in YEARS. Have a world-famous Lee smiley: 8)

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

Basically, I hate other Trekkies. I don't know any in real life, I prefer to talk to you at a distance, it's better all round for everybody!

Yeah, since the announcement of Discovery, I've come to really dislike the fanbase. Few likable characters in a sea of uptight, arrogant, entitled jerks.(Edit: I changed a-holes to jerks, I'm trying to work on my potty mouth.)
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Are there any real-life examples of having twinned prototypes? Becauase the only thing I can think of is, er, the Victory and Excalibur from B5: Crusade...

Offhand, the only ones that come immediately to mind are Novgorod & Vitse-Admiral Popov, Russian ironclad monitors of the mid-1870s which tested out the ridiculous concept of a circular hull.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
quote:
Originally posted by Brown_supahero:
quote:
Analysis of BOBS (pdf)

Or at least a job at Trekyards haha. But only if he likes making hour long analysis videos on 4 seconds of footage.
As for Trekyards, no thanks. While I like the concept of what they try t achieve (and they certainly bring a lot of momentum to the whole Trek ships fan community, giving them some kind of central hub), I prefer the elitist harcore realm that is flare. [Big Grin] I mean, how often has this message board uncovered some real stuff as opposed to, well, trekyards sharing their opinion or stating the obvious? I do like their interviews with Sternbach, Drexler et al, and I admire the effort, but they really haven't left a mark yet when it comes to content. It's like investigative journalism vs. tabolid newspapers.
That being said, I was hoping for some more revelations over the last days, but it seems we have to wait for eaglemoss to drop some bombshells in January with their Discovery models and magazines.I'll upload an updated version shortly.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps