Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Discovery Starships (Page 4)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Discovery Starships
gaghyogi49
Member # 14666

- posted      Profile for gaghyogi49     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The underslung engines kind of reminded be of the Kobayashi Maru from the reboots. I was intrigued by the "hood ornament" at the front of the ship. I wonder if this is a lion, just like the head of the cane used by Stella's father.
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this picuture you have a good view on the engines of the Galactica:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/images/1300-3131325/

And from what I know a model kit of the Galactica is available, so they could have kitbashed that ship...

(Ok, some may say that that ship is CGI, but why using parts of previous ships in the first place instead of creating something completely new...)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the nacelles look more like the front end of an ENT Y-class freighter.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

gaghyogi49
Member # 14666

- posted      Profile for gaghyogi49     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The similarity is only superficial. This is definitely a new CG model which does not re-use any actual CG elements from the Galactica.

-

gaghyogi49
Member # 14666

quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Actually the nacelles look more like the front end of an ENT Y-class freighter.

Indeed! I can see a clear design influence there!
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gaghyogi49:
The similarity is only superficial. This is definitely a new CG model which does not re-use any actual CG elements from the Galactica.

Well, in either way, she is not a beauty...

Moving to another topic:

Did anybody identified the ship classes that docked at that new space station at the beginning of Episode 5?

My guess is:

1 Europa-Class type
3 times the Kerala Type

One or two of the Kerala type ships could be Clarke type instead.

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brown_supahero:
 -
USS Clarke NCC-1661 Malachowski-class
USS Dana Engle-class
USS Earhart
 -
USS Edison NCC-1683 Hoover-class
 -
USS Europa NCC-1648 Nimitz-class
USS Kerala NCC-1255 Shepard-class
USS Ride Engle-class
USS Shenzhou NCC-1227 Walker-class
USS Shran NCC-1413 Magee-class
USS Sioux
 -
USS T'Plana Hath NCC-1004 Engle-class
USS Walker Walker-class
 -
USS Yeager NCC-1437 Cardenas-class
Space station at Eagle 12

All can be found at http://www.startrek.com/database/movie/star-trek-discovery/category/ship

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the first AMERICAN to, not go into space, but just make a pissant suborbital flight, gets a class named after him - and then one of the ships of said class is the name of the RUSSIAN who was first actual proper man in space? Charming.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But entirely fitting for John Eaves.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So let's see then...

Malachowski: Could be named after assorted Polish politicians or military officers, but probably more likely after Nicole M, a USAF officer.

Engle: based on the others, almost certainly Joe Engle, another X-15 pilot and Shuttle astronaut.

Hoover: J. Edgar? Herbert? Or probably Bob, noted test pilot.

Nimitz: the ship, or the admiral, I guess it's really moot at this point!

Shepard: duh.

Magee: nothing really stands out, unless you go for Christopher, yet another aviator...

Cardenas: one of the places? Or there are many, many notable people with it for a surname. Uniquely, none of them are aviators, that I can tell!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's always going to be related to aviation with him.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/11/star-trek-discovery-battle-of-the-binary-stars-armada-identified/

John Eaves confirmed article three hours ago. Bonus points for whoever identifies the living persons, as of today, who’s starships class bears their name.

Eaves indicated that there are other new class ships that have not been released yet.

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Shik
Member # 343

Are they really letting Eaves name all the shups & classes? Because this guy has the most narrow-minded outlook & naming convention I've seen outside of zhorlord fanboy types.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So all Starfleet classes are named after mostly obscure 20th Century North Americans.So much for diversity.

The Discovery's dedication plaque motto:
"All things are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John Eaves on Facebook has the Dana as Hoover-class and the Ride as Shepard-class.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps