Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Discovery Starships (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Discovery Starships
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Are they really letting Eaves name all the shups & classes? Because this guy has the most narrow-minded outlook & naming convention I've seen outside of zhorlord fanboy types.

I'm not thrilled about it either (actually, I'm not thrilled at all that Eaves is even designing the ships), but look at it this way: If Eaves wasn't the one making up the names and classes, then we probably wouldn't have any at all. This kind of stuff just doesn't seem important to most people who are producing Trek these days.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Facebook, Eaves assigned a class and registry to every ship mentioned, but it seems up to startrek.com to release this information.

Registries for Discovery, Glenn and Shenzou were not chosen by him, but all other registries are supposed to be chronological.

He also said, that the class names are more diverse, it just so happens that we only got to see the ones named after pilots/astronaus so far.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Shik
There's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Are they really letting Eaves name all the shups & classes? Because this guy has the most narrow-minded outlook & naming convention I've seen outside of zhorlord fanboy types.

I'm not thrilled about it either (actually, I'm not thrilled at all that Eaves is even designing the ships), but look at it this way: If Eaves wasn't the one making up the names and classes, then we probably wouldn't have any at all. This kind of stuff just doesn't seem important to most people who are producing Trek these days.
Yeah, I really miss Doug, Mike, & Rick.

If anyone here understands diversity of ship names & classes, it's me. But goddamn, Wikipedia alone provides better options for Earth-based naming (& yes, I WOULD like more non-human names other than the couple of token throwaways we get).

--------------------
"I never agreed with Jefferson once—we have fought on like seventy-five different fronts. But when all is said & all is done...Jefferson HAS beliefs; Burr has none."

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.