Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Discovery Starships (Page 5)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Discovery Starships
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Are they really letting Eaves name all the shups & classes? Because this guy has the most narrow-minded outlook & naming convention I've seen outside of zhorlord fanboy types.

I'm not thrilled about it either (actually, I'm not thrilled at all that Eaves is even designing the ships), but look at it this way: If Eaves wasn't the one making up the names and classes, then we probably wouldn't have any at all. This kind of stuff just doesn't seem important to most people who are producing Trek these days.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Facebook, Eaves assigned a class and registry to every ship mentioned, but it seems up to startrek.com to release this information.

Registries for Discovery, Glenn and Shenzou were not chosen by him, but all other registries are supposed to be chronological.

He also said, that the class names are more diverse, it just so happens that we only got to see the ones named after pilots/astronaus so far.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Are they really letting Eaves name all the shups & classes? Because this guy has the most narrow-minded outlook & naming convention I've seen outside of zhorlord fanboy types.

I'm not thrilled about it either (actually, I'm not thrilled at all that Eaves is even designing the ships), but look at it this way: If Eaves wasn't the one making up the names and classes, then we probably wouldn't have any at all. This kind of stuff just doesn't seem important to most people who are producing Trek these days.
Yeah, I really miss Doug, Mike, & Rick.

If anyone here understands diversity of ship names & classes, it's me. But goddamn, Wikipedia alone provides better options for Earth-based naming (& yes, I WOULD like more non-human names other than the couple of token throwaways we get).

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Eaglemoss Discovery ships!

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-eaglemosss-newest-ships

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...How the fuck do you pronounce "Bstlh"?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Just like how it’s spelled, silly.

--------------------

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really like most of the designs, but the Magee class USS Shran just looks odd and off-balanced to me.
Shik
Member # 343

The only ones I like are Shenzhou, Kerala, & Yeager. Everything else is shite.

--------------------

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ You're being too generous!
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the walker-class listed as 423m and the crossfield class as 750.5m

-

-

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, I think I have to reconsider getting an abo. I would really like to have the Starfleet ships (sans Discovery) but what the hell am I going to do with these "Klingon" monstrosities. I'm too lazy to put them on eBay, my storage space is limited and there's no way in hell I'm going to display them on a shelf.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever shot skeet?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, updating my shiplist... we (or at least I) don't know:

- What class the Buran, Cooper, Earhart, Muroc or Sioux are?
- The registries for Buran, Cooper, Dana, Earhart, Hoover, Muroc, Ride, or Sioux?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(that is, I know Buran and Cooper at least are mention-only ships, probably some of the others are, so we may never know. But sometimes (like via the ST website) you get extra info)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps