Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Discovery Starships (Page 7)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Discovery Starships
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2018/04/15/star-trek-discovery-enterprise-design-legal/

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I’ve been hearing a lot of things the past few years as to how messed up the rights to Star Trek are these days, but this? They can’t even use the franchise’s most classic ship design anymore for legal reasons?

To quote Hubert Farnsworth: I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Words fail me. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, who owns the rights of the original design if not CBS?
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something’s screwy about this. How could companies such as Eaglemoss and AMT make toys and model kits of the TOS Enterprise if CBS (who I assumed owned the design) doesn’t have the rights to it?

[ April 17, 2018, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, Viacom/Paramount has the IP rights.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't Viacom own CBS?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Negative. The split happened 12 years ago: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-viacom-formally-split/

Per MA:
quote:

TV - CBS Television Distribution, CBS Paramount Network Television/CBS Television Studios, CBS Corporation (2005 – present)
Viacom had purchased CBS Corporation in 2000. They split in 2005. The old Viacom then became CBS Corporation. Its holding Paramount Television became CBS Paramount Network Television. CBS Television Distribution formed soon after and took over distribution of past Star Trek shows. In 2009, CBS Paramount Network Television became CBS Television Studios. Star Trek: Discovery is produced under this ownership.
Movies, DVDs - Paramount Pictures, Viacom (new) (2005 – present)
In the 2005 Viacom/CBS split, the old Viacom became the CBS Corporation and a new Viacom was created. This new company owns Paramount Pictures, which in turn owns the Trek films. Paramount Pictures produced Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and Star Trek Beyond under license from CBS Television Studios. Paramount also continues to distribute DVDs of the TV series on behalf of CBS. The split marked the occasion that the former Paramount Television was formally separated from Paramount Pictures; until this point in time the television company had always been a subsidiary division of Paramount Pictures.

Shik
Member # 343

DOUBLE
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CBS have now said Eaves was wrong, and there is no legal obstacle to using the original design.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Member # 343

Oh, OK, so it's back to them just being donkeyfuckers, then.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, given that explanation of how they shuffled all the corporate names around, I don't feel bad at all about having been confused.
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Nimitz-class Side View
 -
Nimitz-Class Dorsal View
 -
Nimitz-Class Ventral View

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

So, it's a Miranda with two extra nacelles and a bunch of sharp edges?
Shik
Member # 343

Christ, that things is ugly.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps