Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » HD battle scenes from DS9 doc (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HD battle scenes from DS9 doc
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday I was able to look at the remastered battle scenes from DS9 documentation 'What We Left Behind' (Blu Ray, not stream). Boy, that was awesome!

We have a good look at some Galaxy, Akira, Saber, Miranda and Federation Fighter class ships, and in the distance I saw at least one Excelsior. Ok, none of these ships are new, but the entire battle was way better that I have hoped for!

Unfortunately I was not able to read any new ship names due to the fact that

a) the Galaxys area still not labeled.
b) most ships are to far away.
c) the choosen camera angle does not allow to read the name.

But not only the Federation ships are being shown in HD, all the Cardassian, Klingon and Dominion ships as well.

For the doc they have remasted the three following scenes:

1) The destruction of the USS Odyssey.
2) The run of the USS Defiant through enemy lines in 'Sacrifice of Angels'.
3) The looping of the Defiant in 'What You Leave Behind'.

All the material is approx. 1 Minute in lengh, but it shows us what a DS9 HD remaster would look like...

This is a picture I found in the web:

https://wp.trekzone.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Defiant1.jpg

Capt. Kaiser
Member # 10511

- posted      Profile for Capt. Kaiser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome [Smile]

--------------------
If your not laughing your not living

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I have to admit that that example screenshot is not that much impressive. It was the only one I could find in the www.

If I find the time over the weekend, I will upload some screenshots...

Can anybody suggest a site where I can host those picutres?

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even the DS9 beauty shots are faptastic.

Try https://postimages.org/

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great documentary! Love the HD battle scenes

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

o2
Member # 907

The battle scene-screenshots are now availabe at Trekcore... Check it out!
o2
Member # 907

Oh, one year has past...
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quite...blurry I have to say

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny this should be revived, because this came across my internets today: https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/314653-remastering-deep-space-nine

ViacomCBS has long said that HD remastering of DS9 wasn't worth the cost, even though we all know it is. This guy agreed, & bet his time on it.

Nine months later, he's created it.

It's not 4K or UHD quality by any means, but the resolution is definitely far superior. As the article goes alone, he starts getting super technical about his processes so people can replicate them.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I love what he's doing.

2. CBS is full of crap.

--------------------

137th Gebirg
Member # 2692

- posted      Profile for 137th Gebirg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9, for some perverse reason, has always been regarded as the bastard red-headed stepchild of the Trek franchise. It’s equal parts predictable and frustrating that they continue to disrespect that show regularly.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also don’t understand the reluctance to remaster all of DS9 (and Voyager for that matter). I mean, I get that doing it takes time and money. But the claim that they wouldn’t make money on it is pure bullshit. Do the conversion and make it a CBSAA exclusive if you want to get the fans’ money.

But at least the DVDs are of decent quality. I would kill for a properly-mastered release of Babylon 5 to replace the visual abomination that’s currently in circulation—even if it was still just in SD! (Seriously, who the frak thought it was a good idea to crop-and-upscale all the 4:3 visual effects?)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

DS9 in HD as a CBS AA exclusive would be enough to make even the die-hard anti-Disco folks sign up.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean, I can only speak for myself, but, I'm in the middle of rewatching DS9 right now. If HD DS9 came out on Blu-ray, even as soon as I finished my rewatch, I'd buy it right away (well, I'd wait for it to be on sale, but still). If it were exclusive to All Access, I might sign up whenever my next rewatch comes around, but who knows when that would be? So, at least in my case, they'd be better off selling Blu-rays.
o2
Member # 907

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
[...] I'd buy it right away (well, I'd wait for it to be on sale, but still).

This is why I think that we won't see DS9 in HD any time soon. Please don't get me wrong: It is totally ok to wait for a drop in the price. On the other side, CBS will not invest money in a project where the return-of-investment takes to long or is unsure in the first place.

We have the situation, where both project costs and number of customers are pretty clear (for the first you can compare with the costs for TNG remastering, for the second you can apply the rule of three with 1) Number of buyers for TNG DVD, 2) number of buyers for TNG bluray and the 3) nubmer of buyers for the DS9 DVD to estimate the number of buyers for the DS bluray).

If the number of DS9 bluray-buyers is smaller then the number of TNG bluray-buyers (assumption 1) and the costs for production are more of less the same (assumption 2), then you have to increase the product price in order to get to the Return of Investment.

What is a possible solution for CBS:
1) Reduce the costs of the product, which could result in a minor product quality.
2) Wait until technology creates the same level of quality for less money.
3) Find other ways for covering the production costs, like selling the streaming rights to Netflix, Apple or Amazon.

What is a possible solution for the fan base:
1) Signal CBS that we are willing to pay a fair price for a product we desire.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.