Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » HD battle scenes from DS9 doc (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: HD battle scenes from DS9 doc
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I know why they're not doing it, and, frankly, they're probably right. They won't make the amount of profit they'd like to off the project. I was just pointing out why, at least for me, the idea of making it exclusive to All Access wouldn't be a good solution.
o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The picture quality of DS9 on DVD is not good, even compared to other DVD productions of that time. I would rather watch it on blu ray, but a streaming service like All Access would do for me as well, provided that the service is offered here in my region.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your rewatch! Some of the episodes are still among my alltime favorites.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's actually part of a rewatch I've been doing of all the old series/movies in chronological order, so I'm currently on both DS9 season 3 and VOY season 1. The difference in quality between the two is... starker than I remembered. (I've rewatched DS9 a couple times, but this the first time I'm seeing the VOY eps since they originally ran).
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what the studios' calculus is in these sorts of situations, how they weigh expenditure and risk versus revenue and rewards. But I think this relentless optimism that the audience is there, and that's all that matters, is unfounded.

The TOS-R box-sets just happened to come at the perfect time. The box set mania was in its heyday, the remastersinf and new FX gave anew lease of life to a rather tired and old-fashioned-looking property. By the time the TNG-R sets came out, the moment had passed. It may also be that TNG was still too new in people's minds, and I think there had already been non-remastered TNG box sets as it is (had there been for TOS? I don't know) and the remasters didn't really add all that much in tems of value - oh, sure, they fixed that time when a phaser beam came out of the torpedo launcher, big wow.

I suspect I feel the same way many do - I can watch all of Trek on Netflix, why bother buying box sets? And am I going to feel like I'm getting added value if suddenly the existing DS9 streams get replaced by DDS9-R streams, and would it entice more people to sign up? I doubt it.

And it's not like Trek is the only property that suffers. The Buffy box-sets are widely acknowledged to be a shitshow. B5 is a mixed bag, but if you want to get clued in on a really fucked-up situation, check out JMS's Twitter feed in which he routinely -and oh, so patiently - explains why there will never be a B5 remaster even though all the original film elements exist. As he puts it, in a nutshell, PTEN was always regarded as the bastard child of Warner Bros and executives there are determined the show never be given its due however much the fans clamour for it. JMS himself only has the film rights, and he can't get the funding to make a film that will do the franshise any credit, and won't do it cheaply either.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
It's actually part of a rewatch I've been doing of all the old series/movies in chronological order, so I'm currently on both DS9 season 3 and VOY season 1. The difference in quality between the two is... starker than I remembered. (I've rewatched DS9 a couple times, but this the first time I'm seeing the VOY eps since they originally ran).

How many episode are we talking about? 500 plus minus? This is what I would call a project...
o2
Member # 907

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:

I can watch all of Trek on Netflix, why bother buying box sets?

The blu ray's picture quality is still superiour. I am willing to pay money for that, even if I already have the DVDs and access to Netflix. Please don't forget, the time DS9 was first released on DVD, no streaming service was available. For me there was no alternative to the DVDs.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

It's over 700 episodes (and the ten movies). I'm a little over 60% done. I started right after Discovery premiered, so it's been a while. But, I'm also not trying to speed through it, either. I even went a few months earlier this year without watching any of it, just because I was distracted by other things.
o2
Member # 907

I've just noticed that CBS/Paramount is using HD-footage from the DS9-documentary 'What we left behind' in one of their latest promo videos for their upcoming P+ service:

https://youtu.be/gq1Wmfr4XKQ

You can see the sequence around time index 1:00. Well, this is the first time that CBS/Paramount is using HD content from DS9, although it come from an external source!

I was not aware that CBS/Paramount even has to rights to use this material, but I appreaciate it!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I would have been surprised if whatever deal they made with the WWLB filmmakers for the use of the footage didn't entitle them to use the HD version themselves if they wanted to.
o2
Member # 907

To my knowledge, the HD battlescene of the USS Defiant braking through the enemy lines was done by a third party, only for (and paid by) the documentary. It was not based on the film negatives and was done without the help of CBS/Paramount. I'm not sure if any (legal) involvement of Paramount was necessary (e.g. compare to the FX of a fan-based series like Star Trek Continues; CBS/Paramount has also no rights on the produced materials).

No matter, on what legal ground they used this stuff: Why is it in the trailer in the first place? It is the only sequence from DS9. There is no footage from Voyager or Enterprise...

Well, I'm just dreaming, but maybe there is something going on with DS9 comming in HD? Their P+ service would benefit from a HD release of DS9, especially now when even Babylon 5 got its (well-deserved) HD treatment...

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The seeming fan-made DS9 shots were modified for the documentary, and not always improved, sadly.

For instance, here's one of the old ones. The DS9 doc version looks similar but they change the death of the flanking BoP and it looks weird in the doc.

https://youtu.be/_zzbocEbtEE

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

o2
Member # 907

Not sure, if this sequence was 'fan-made', because the sequence in the DS9 documentary was based on the original scene files from that episode, only rendered in 16:9 instead of 4:3 and with a higher resolution and more texture.

Check out this block for more informaiton:

https://blog.trekcore.com/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps