Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Cerritos California-class transport. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: USS Cerritos California-class transport.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a thing I threw together in MS Paint in about 1998. You only know you’re of the Flare old guard if you remember it without Googling!

Funny thing is there’s a coloured-in version someone did on DeviantArt...

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shipingtons!

-

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Another one there coming into Spacedock, bottom right.

-

[ July 23, 2020, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: Lee ]

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fucking YIKES.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still can't figure out how everything is suppose to fit in that saucer unless Starfleet has learned TARDIS technology.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like to me that all five ships in those two screenshots are actually the same class, although two of them are flying upside-down (for whatever reason). Those ships remind me of the USS Centaur...
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are lots of other saucer-only classes in Starfleet.

I see 4 different classes in those pictures.

1.) The one above the starbase seems to have a pod or secondary hull from which the pylons extend.

2.) Romulan warbird-esque ship left of the starbase and entering the starbase

3.) Miranda-esque ship right of the starbase and under the Cerritos. Could be #2 flipped.

4.) California class

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Lee
Member # 393

#2 and #3 definitely look like the same design, flipped.

#2 reminds me of that initial Reliant study model with the nacelles above the saucer.

#3 looks like an Akira with Miranda (extended primary hull) and Centaur (the placing and angle of pylons) elements.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I have to agree with o2. With the exception of the Cerritos, all the other ships look exactly the same to me, with some just flipped upside down presumably to give some sense of ‘difference.’ But they are just generic far background ships with minimal detail, so I don’t really care. I’m sure if there are other ships in the show that feature prominently, they’ll be better detailed.

Although the Cerritos herself isn’t all that detailed, so who the heck knows.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lee
Member # 393

That one above Spacedock is different to the two on either side. And, I mean, look, nobody’s making too much of these ships, but, hey, how long have we wanted to see post-VOY ships? It’s hardly worth being blasé and jaded about it, but neither are we trying to make anything major out of it, even if, technically speaking, these are canon. If that means anything anymore. Or if you prefer to start picking & choosing what is canon based on your aesthetic opinions of any given Trek property.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the one above Spacedock was different too, but I think it just looks different from that angle. I could be wrong though, since as I said, the ships are too far in the background to make out specific details other than ‘saucer section, nacelles, and pylons.’

And if that rant about ‘canon’ was aimed at me, I’m not sure what you mean. I never said these ships aren’t canon.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lee
Member # 393

Not particularly. I just feel that top ship definitely looks different. Sure it’s another iteration of the Miranda configuration but length and angle of nacelles and the saucer make it distinct.

It’s annoying, because the other ship looks better with nacelles under, so we could just shrug and say the one with nacelles over was just flying upside down for some reason. But there’s also a pair of them in the Spacedock, and the one we’d want to say is upside down is the one flying in through the doors, and why would you enter Spacedock upside down?

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Probably because the animators aren’t taking this anywhere near as seriously as the fans are.

But if I were to put on my Flare hat, I’d say that there’s precedence here, what with the reuse of the Jenolan in DS9 as a transport which flies in and docks at the station while upside down.

--------------------

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just glad not to see any generic Excelsiors or Mirandas any more, but something new that fits the 2380s. And maybe we get a better look at those ships/that ship in the cause of the series.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Other than the one above Spacedock (or whatever Spacedock-style station it might be), they all look like the same design to me. I don't see any way that the other ship could be the same, though. It appears to be a traditional saucer->neck->secondary hull->nacelles design, just with the nacelles going down instead of up. It's hard to tell, but it looks like the saucer might have more of a Voyageresque arrowhead shape.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps