Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 32nd Century Ships (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 32nd Century Ships
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what website is everybody going to for discussing ships nowadays? Flare is the only place I go to.

Anyway, I going to start the new topic by first showing the ships shown on "the burn".

-

-

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess this time TPTB can justify their cost saving ship recycling with Starfleet not having the resources to build new ships after the Burn.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two of the type 5 and 8 ships also have a name and registry, but unfortunately they’re too small to make out. Hopefully Eaglemoss will release pics of the CGI models soon.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How they gonna do models with detached nacelles tho?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I’m guessing they’ll use clear plastic pylons. Unless they’ve discovered a way to bypass the laws of physics.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Type 5 had a name almost visible. A short name, 3-4 letters max with the last a S or G. In fact it looks like it could be USS Nog. It might have been the first ship so labelled, only for them to then use the name on a more prominent ship.

Type 8 has a visible registry but indistinct name. Longish, 9-10 characters - or maybe 5 hyphen 4. Another T’plana-Hath?

Worst of all is that the unnamed “Constitution-class” (the same as the Armstrong) appears to have the registry NCC-1864-M. Which can FUCK OFF FOREVER.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
I’m guessing they’ll use clear plastic pylons. Unless they’ve discovered a way to bypass the laws of physics.

First off, it's transparent aluminum, which is an old technology developed in San Francisco during the 80s... you remember that year, some Commie boarded a US aircraft carrier and whalers reported a bizarre UFO.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I keep telling you, this isn’t that universe. If anything we’re the Mirror Universe.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Worst of all is that the unnamed “Constitution-class” (the same as the Armstrong) appears to have the registry NCC-1864-M.

That was the ship, Owo was refering to as "new Constitution", wasn't it? So I guess she didn't mean "is that a new USS Constitution?" (which is kind of a dumb question anyhow) but rather is that the successor of the Constitution-class design lineage.

Not sure what the Reliant did to warrant this honour.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

I think she did indeed read the name on the ship before making her statement. The fact that the actual CGI model had the registry of NCC-1864-M is meaningless, as it wasn’t meant to be seen up close, and probably had nothing to do with what the script said anyway. It was just an Easter egg.

--------------------

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Promo image for "Die Trying"

-
Eisenberg-class silhouette

-
Type X - Voyager-J silhouette

-
Type 5 silhouette

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Type 5 is precisely the sort of way-out-there design that one would expect of a Federation 800 years out from early TNG. I'm reminded of the ST magazine blurb from 1987 about the smooth, graceful six-foot Enterprise-D model, something about aesthetics surpassing technology and producing machines man would be proud to fly.

In reality, of course, that blurb never made much sense and could only have come from an artist. However, that graceful, strangely beautiful form evokes the memory, and for a fleeting moment I can almost feel Trek the way I did so long ago.

Naturally, then, they f*** it all up with totally different ugly things right alongside a bunch of retreads of their anti-chronological 2250's-meets-First-Contact mish-mash horsecrap designs that look like they're from 2400, at best, but would've been shown as old ships from 2200 anyway.

Ugh.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

I heart ships.
 -
 -

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are all just plain lazy as fuck. Also, always trying to connect ship name to class name bothers me. Same with reusing Intrepid as a class name; I hate that, even when real-world wet navies do it.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of them are meh for me. I do admit to liking the Saturn, though. I could see myself getting one if/when it comes to STO.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps