Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Trilithium: possible fuel source? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Trilithium: possible fuel source?
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what we've seen of trilithium so far, it is the byproduct of warp engines. So it is like a waste or something, like the exhaust that comes out of the car. Now the exhaust contains compounds such as water, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, in other words, compounds that are not reactive. The reaction from fuel and air to water and CO and CO2 would be referred to as complete.

Trilithium meanwhile, does not follow that path. So far, it is seen as volotile and explosive, and can even destroy a star. But since it is a byproduct, then it would be considered like a waste. So why keep it around? Why not use the Trilithium as a fuel source so that more power can be generated?

And can someone speculate on where this trilithium actually comes from?

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would guess that after constant exposure to matter/antimatter reactions, dilithium gradually changes to trilithium. Despite the fact that the dilithium is constantly regenerated by replicator-sounding technology (I forget the terms used in the Tech Manual), fractional amounts of trilithium form, resistant to regeneration. When this happens, the trilithium "evaporates" in the plasma stream generated by the M/ARA and condenses on the inner surfaces of the plasma conduits (requiring periodic removal). Alternatively, it may be removed by some "filtering process" to keep it out of the conduits in the first place. If they didn't clean the stuff outta somewhere, how would they ever accumulate any of it?

I would presume that trilithium is analagous to weapons-grade plutonium. It's considered "waste" because:

1. it doesn't stay in the reaction chamber like dilithium, so it can't be used to regulate matter/antimatter reactions. I understand that plutonium provides less useful radiation in reactors than uranium (perhaps incorrectly -- any physics students feel free to step in right about here).

2. It can be made to react, but only violently (as in explosions). Weapons constructed with trilithium might be "dirty" or have other unpleasant long-term environmental effects. Perhaps it's prohibited by treaty as a subspace-damaging weapon?

------------------
Yo quiero Startrek!

[This message was edited by Baloo on March 16, 1999.]

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: It's very volotile, and unstable too. Picard removed that control rod which made it stable, and it exploded as a result. It's not a matter of whether it can be made to react, it just does. And they have a Trilithium collecting tank. So, given the volatility of Trilithium, why not just let the reaction go ahead, and get the energy from the reaction power the vessel. A more complete combustion, I believe.

------------------
Except Temptation

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it's unusable in that application because it interferes with subspace field formation?

Otherwise, why aren't they using it for power? Your idea has merit. If they aren't using it, it must be because there are problems harnessing the energy it releases.

--Baloo

------------------
Yo quiero Startrek!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to be too picky, but the warp core doesn't actually create pure trilithium as a waste product, but trilithium resin.

------------------
"I'll be the sky above the Ganges
I'll be the vast and stormy sea.
I'll be the lights that guide you inward.
I'll be the visions you will see."
--
R.E.M.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

[Shrugs]

Whatever.

------------------
Yo quiero Startrek!

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A resin? That had to be a typo. I will save you the embarrassment of what resins are and encourage all to look it up in a dictionary. I suppose the best deffinition that could apply is any various substance made by chemical synthesis. Even in this case it's a by-product.

----
Perhaps trilithium can't be used as a powersource because of reverse entrophy?

------------------
. . .I don't believe in God, I just believe in me.
--John Lennon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Proper scientific terminology or not, the episode said "trilithium resin."

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theory: In the future, "resin" has taken on a meaning similar to "residue"...

Well, it's possible, anyway...

------------------
"Look into any eyes you find by you; you can see clear to another day..."
-The Grateful Dead, "Box of Rain"

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

<Mode=Pedantic>
resin
n : any of a class of solid or semisolid viscous substances
obtained either as exudations from certain plants or
prepared by polymerization of simple molecules [syn: rosin]
</Mode=Pedantic>

Seriously, it might be that "trilithium resin" might be called that because the appearance of this material is similar to actual resin?

------------------
Carpe Canem!

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Taking a guess here:

matter + antimatter + dilithium ====> plasma + trilithium

I guess that's why they have to replace the dilithium crystals once in a while.

------------------
Except Temptation

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to point out that there are two different types of reactions we're dealing with. One, chemical ones, and two, nuclear ones.

The entire basis of matter/antimatter reaction is sort of a nuclear one, but that exists outside of what we are dealing with. Dilithium is not the fuel, the matter and antimatter is...from what I've gathered from the shows, dilithum is used to focus the stream of m/a-m particles. I think that the degradation of dilithium in this process is what causes trilithium, which is extremely radioactive, also taken from the show. This radioactivity can be so great, that it creates so much energy as the trilithium decays, that makes it dangerous.

------------------
"You bellowed?" - Black Arachnia - Agenda

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW...

Antimatter + Matter = Huge amounts of energy!

Dilithium can be looked upon as a 'catalyst', so to speak.

------------------
"You bellowed?" - Black Arachnia - Agenda

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the diagram in the TNG TM, it looks like the m/am particles hit the dilithium, the am particles hit the dilithium and pass through it's 'porous crystalline structure' and when the m/am meets, something happens...I'm not sure if a m/am reaction naturally would cause plasma? or if it has somethign to do with the dilithium and/or intense magnetic fields.

"Dilithium crystals are used to regulate and control the matter-antimatter reaction"

-Page 62, fig. 5.2.6, TNG TM

so..."What was the point of THAT post?!?!", you may ask...and I would be forced to answer, "I honestly do not know."

------------------
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.

monkeyboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doubt u could call dilithium a catylast.
More like a tuner. How much more active do u need to make a mattar anti-matter reaction??.
It would have no trouble reacting in suffiencet amounts and speeeds in my mind.

------------------
I did'nt do it.

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps