Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Astrometrics and Stellar Cartography (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Astrometrics and Stellar Cartography
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It came to me when I was reading Issue 5 of "Star Trek: The Magazine" and looking at the info on navigation. I was wondering is there any difference between Stellar Cartography on ships like the Enterprise-D and Enterprise-E and Astrometrics on ships like Voyager? Does it matter how big the ship is to have either or none at all?

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it Astrometrics is what Seven created on Voyager. It is the only one of its kind. Stellar Cartography is of Starfleet design. I don't know what classes have Stellar Cartography.

------------------
It's all about the Pentiums, Baby!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a second though, didn't Chakotay say to Seven and Harry that Astrometrics wasn't upgraded since Voyager left Spacedock??

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stellar Cartography is just a place to keep your star maps.

------------------
"We took a small flight, in the middle of the night, from one tiny place to another."
--
Ben Folds Five

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the E-D, stellar cartography was the department that handled star charting and such. Their labs were, I think, a slightly altered version of the science lab set. By Generations, stellar cartography on the E-D had apparently gotten some new toys in the upgrade, as demonstrated by that big, holographic star chart room that Data and Picard used to figure out where the Nexus ribbon was going. In First Contact, when the Borg stopped at deck eleven, and they were trying to figure out what was so important there, they said stellar cartography was there. Whether this just meant their small labs, or if they had one of those huge things remains to be seen.

To my knowledge, this is about all we know of stellar cartography. Whether "astrometrics" is just another name for it (I believe "astro" means "star" and "metrics" means "measuring", so it seems to be the same), or if there are subtle differences, we may never know, unless mention of a separate stellar cartography is mentioned (or has been mentioned) on Voyager.

------------------
"I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me."
-from Baloo's cousins' endless supplies of e-mail jokes

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited August 06, 1999).]

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The asometrics lab was created by Seven to analyze the data from their new modified, Borg enhanced sensors. I beleive is has a longer range, and more enhanced capabilities. The asometrics lab is the only one of its kind, as it was installed in the 4th season episode 'Year of Hell Part I'.

Stellar Cartography is just a place where you can look at your star charts from a 3d point of view instead of a 2d console on the bridge.
------------------
"If I get lost, I'll just follow the ship infront of us."-Ensign Nog

[This message has been edited by Black Knight (edited August 07, 1999).]

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

If Astrometrics was created by Seven, why did Chakotay mention that it wasn't upgraded since it left Spacedock?

------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Oh, the episode that had Chakotay say that was "Revulsion."

------------------

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be that they had an astrometics department that Chakotay was referring to, but Seven created the cool lab that they now use.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be that they had an astrometics department that Chakotay was referring to, but Seven created the cool lab that they now use.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stellar cartography isn't solely for looking at star charts. Watch that episode... oh, what was it called...? The one where Picard falls in love w/ Nella Darren, the new chief of SC, and they have to fight that giant fire on that planet. At the beginning, when Picard walks into SC, they're running some kind of experiment. I think there are alos suggestions that the SC crew do more than just look at star maps all day.

------------------
"I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me."
-from Baloo's cousins' endless supplies of e-mail jokes

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, there are many "Lessons" to be learned in Stellar Cartography.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Okay, now that's just showing off... *L*

------------------
Jackson: "This tastes like chicken..."
Carter: "What's wrong with that?"
Jackson: "It's macaroni and cheese."
-Stargate: SG-1, "The First Commandment"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

Don't be mad at him, focus your anger at Rick Berman!!!

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm? I was just reminding you which episode it was...

And I have no clue why people are suddenly attacking Berman! What's the guy ever done?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited August 10, 1999).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps