Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » I need your eyes! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I need your eyes!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not for twisted medical experiments, of course. But for research purposes. Specifically, if any kind soul has the Voyager episode "Scorpion" on tape, I'd like to know the stated yield for the big Borg explosive device.

Also, if you have too much time on your hands, your size estimates for various Borg ships would be appreciated.

------------------
"Hey Mr. Boo, fly away home. Your house is so lovely, your children so nice."
--
Hello (The Band)

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which big explosive device? The one they proposed for the naonprobes? *checks script* A "multikinetic neutronic mine" has a 5 million isoton yield which could affect an entire star system and dispurse nanonprobes over a radius of five light-years.

And the Borg Cubes are 27 cubic kilometres, as per "Dark Frontier".

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what does that equal out to per edge? 3km?

------------------
Unite!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cube root of 27 is, indeed, 3.

Oh, and, Sol, wouldn't your request actually require people's ears, not eyes? :-)

------------------
"Now you're the only one here who can tell me if it's true,
That you love me, and I love me..."
-They Might Be Giants, "Kiss Me, Son of God"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eyes...er...ears...uh, yes. I need sense organs. Better?

Five lightyears? Holy crap! I thought it could disperse them over a solar system...

Still, I wonder what that means, though. Assuming the explosion propels them at near lightspeed, that would still take more than five years. Plenty of time for an FTL enemy to evade. Hmm.

------------------
--
Hello (The Band)

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, thankfully, they never used it.

And TSN, he did in fact use my eyes as I read it from the scriptbook. Nobody used ears, except for the 27km cubed figure.

Or perhaps it was 28. Not a big difference per side, anyway...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

According to the Star Trek Ships Expanded list, the cube the amazing Magnus encountered measured 28 cubic kilometers. Is that the episode you're getting your number from, Elim?

But I'm sure the cube seen in "Q Who" was bigger still, no?

------------------
--
Hello (The Band)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does "high yield" warhead only mean it has a big blast radius or could it also mean a long duration of the explosion, the expansion of shockwaves? Good topic btw
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Yup, that's the one.

Well, that "multikinetic neutronic mine" would've been a doozy!

------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 'Dark Frontier' Seven's mother said the Borg cube was 28 cubic km. It's actually the latest Voyager episode I've got/seen.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WELL THANKS FOR SHARING, DAX!!!!!!
I'm gonna buy Dark Frontier tomorrow! ;(

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That 1 extra might be parts sticking out.

BTW: Seems like the Borg in 'Descent' were flying a mine....

------------------
"Okay! No more mister knive guy!"

- Jim West, Wild Wild West

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited August 17, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Altair: If they were, it would've made a bigger bang when they blew it up!

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I address the issue of the "Descent" ship on my upcoming page, actually.

------------------
--
Hello (The Band)

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mine was probably not going to be used to catch the bio ships with the nanites, but to make it so that they could not enter an area due to the nanites being there.
Sort of like a giant mine field filled with lots and lots of very dangerous nanites.

------------------
If you need it I can build it. Just as long as there is a box of junk for me to use.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps