Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Courier??

Author Topic: Courier??
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the definition of a courier-ship??

------------------
"Those that can, do. Those that can't, laugh at those who can do."

- Xander from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Star Trek? Ships built for extremely high warp, used to transport equipment and personnel across large distances such as DS9 to Earth etc. They can do 10,000c (Warp 9.99+) for about a week according to Rick Sternbach, maybe a month if we burn out the engines.

Boris

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, then why are Peregrines 'couriers'? I doubt a little Peregrine can handle warp, and if they can, I doubt at the speeds and times you said

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
359... The attack fighters from SofA, which we're now assuming are Peregrines were definately warp capable, and were keeping up with the fleet just fine. However, in "Heart of Stone", the only time the name Peregrine appeared, it was called an "Interceptor" and was ran down quite easily by a Runabout, despite it having modified engines. Interceptors by definition are fast ships as well. IMHO the Peregrine is a fast ship, maybe not up on a par with the two weeks @ 9.9 bit, but for some reason in HoS it was severely slowed by a malfunction in the Plot Device Drive.

------------------
"......"
             -The Breen at Internment Camp 371

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember them saying Courier when they described the Peregrine, of course, this was about 4 months ago, but I remember it because it was the only mention of Peregrine. Any want to go check?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. "Peregrine-class Interceptor" in HoS. "Courier" in The Maquis. "Attack Fighter" in SofA.

------------------
"......"
             -The Breen at Internment Camp 371

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the slow ship in HoS could have had its engines damaged when the Maquis stole it. They didn't exactly have the greatest resources in the galaxy...

------------------
"I prefer much more diplomatic ways of pissing people off."
-a certain anonymous administrator

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone consider the possibility that power was siphoned from the engines? I mean, for such a small ship to have a powerful punch, power may needed to be siphoned out to the phasers, shields, etc. Or even life support.

Side note: in Voyager's Caretaker, we saw a Peregrine use the power from the Torpedo launchers to the engines to help them get into the Badlands.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't be hasty to call the ship a Peregrine. We've all agreed that there are 4 possibilities for this class - the Academy trainer (unlikely), the Type-C ship, small and large versions (the latter being Chakotay's ship), and the Type-D ship seen in "Preemptive Strike" and "SofA" - the most likely candidate IMNSHO.

I think we can rule out that it's the Bajoran fighter seen in "PreE Strike" and elsewhere, or the Bajoran sub-impulse raider!

------------------
"I am greater than the stars for I know that they are up there and they do not know that I am down here." - William Temple

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Courier ship - I have a feeling that Spock's warp shuttle, was suggested to be a courier by Chekov.

Also reguarding interceptors as fast ships - that makes sense with Quark saying that 'Quark's Treasure" could outrun a Romulan interceptor...

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell? I posted a message similar to The First One's...yet its existance seems to have been terminated.

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone (Sternbach, IIRC) suggested that SF's attack fighters from SoA are Peregrines. Since I agree that they are the most likely candidates (excluding the possibility that we have never seen Peregrines, which no-one seems willing to accept), and we have semi-official confirmation, I guess I'll go w/ that...

------------------
"...brevity is the soul of wit, and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes..."
-Polonius to Queen Gertrude, Hamlet, act II, scene II

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.