Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Abscence of the Excelsior Class Refit (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Abscence of the Excelsior Class Refit
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been tugging at my mind for a while now. Why haven't we seen any Excelsior Class Refits save for the Enterprise-B and the Lakota? A simple explanation would be that the ECS refit model wasn't around during TNG, but that doesn't explain the single appearance of the ECS refit on DS9. Does anyone want to try and explain this to me (and the other forumites who are wondering about this)?

------------------
All hands, brace for impact!
WHAM!!

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real-world answer: They never made it into a CGI model. I have no other explanation...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a theory, a long time ago. Buggered if I can remember what it was, though. Anyone save threads from EnterForum-B or -C?

------------------
Phase 1: Steal Underpants
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit!

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since I am doing the write-up for the Excelsior II for UP3, here's what I put in mine.

The Excelsior II was built as a varaint of the Excelsior Testbed, made to be the 'regular' Excelsior, and would be mass-produced. The first two ships of the class, USS Enterprise-B and USS Kongo, both suffered problems with their impulse engines and computers, so much that Starfleet decided to cancel the Excelsior II project, leaving the other unbuilt hulls to become regular Excelsiors, which was found to be more stable. Then, around 2330, Starfleet needed some medium-sized explorers that could be quickly built, so they quickly dug up the design for the Excelsior IIs, and built 5 more ships of this design, with the Lakota being in this group. These ships also were improved in that the safety problems of before were corrected.

Sound good?

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, the Lakota was described as undergoing a refit in "Homefront."

------------------
Frank's Home Page, which you've never seen before and want to visit right now

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but it was in service prior to that refit.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. But were the writers trying to imply that it was previously a standard Excelsior?

------------------
Frank's Home Page, which you've never seen before and want to visit right now

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Storywise, I'm pretty sure the Lakota's refit was just meant to include the upgraded weapons.

At any rate, here's my two cents regarding the Excelsior.

Assume for a minute that the Enterprise B had a mission similar to the rest of the Enterprises, deep space exploration. Perhaps the refit Excelsior was better suited for such missions. (More sensors, science labs, what have you.) If so, perhaps the Excelsior refit shared the same fate as other Explorer type vessels. These ships are assigned to the wild and wooly areas of space, and often suffer for it. Consider how many Constitutions were lost during TOS, or the fact that half of the initial production run of Galaxies were destroyed within a decade. It seems possible that most of the Excelsior refits were given dangerous missions, and that is why so few remain today.

What do you think, sirs?

------------------
"Just because you're floating doesn't mean you haven't drowned."
--
They Might Be Giants

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to think that all Excelsiors shown since the Excelsior ara are the SECOND refit of the original Excelsior. From what I can dig up in my memory, the original Utopia Planetia made mention of three versions of the Excelsior: the original, the Enterprise-B, and all others seen in the TNG/DS9 era. Same hull as the original Excelsior, but has the tidbits (and more) or the Ent-B.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

The First One
Member # 35

It's all coming back to me now. . . I though that maybe the Enterprise-B version was created in response to certain failings of the original Excelsior version, which were subsequently corrected in a way that made the extensive changes of the refit unnecessary. Those extra impulse engines, for example - maybe the originals weren't providing enough power. Only a handful of the refits were created, and therefore we've seen very few of them. They didn't feel it necessary to revert the refist back to standard Excelsior configuration.

Oh, and the refit does exist as CGI - it was used in the Nexus sequence.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tahna Los: Yes, there are three versions of the Excelsior-class, but the Ent-B is the third type (not the second). We have the 'ST:III' prototype, then the 'ST:VI' production version, and the 'Generations' Ent-B last.

BTW folks, I hate to sound like a nitpicker but, it is improper to call the Ent-B a refit. The ship was built to that spec all at the one time. What were they refitting? The B is an Excelsior-variant.

I can't see any real advantage to the Ent-B design over the normal Excelsior. Starfleet probably realised that the variation is a waste of extra materials and labor. Unfortunately, that doesn't explain why the relatively new Lakota was the variant.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? I thought all the movies-era opticals were done with models for Generations and models in "Paradise Lost". Oops.

Then they probably just didn't want to pay ILM for the CGI models. They originally didn't for the new FC ships, didn't they?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my write-up the Excelsior (refit) which some dislike is refered to as the 'Improved Excelsior' or the 'Excelsior II'.

Anyway, you guys must have read my UP3 write-up, since according to it, the Excelsior II was an explorer variant of the Excelsior. It had more sensors and added impulse engines for redundancy, for when it would be out in deep deep deep space, without capability for rescue from other ships. But, according to my write-up, both the working prototypes, Enterprise-B and Kongo, were both destroyed before the turn of the century, mainly due to system problems. Another reason why Starfleet cut the project after the loss of these two was the fact that such a large explorer type ship wasn't needed, with work on the Ambassador class coming up. Starfleet just needed a large cruiser, which the original Excelsior design could do well. The Lakota was a 'new-era Excelsior II', using the same external arrangement, yet different internal arrangement, for a quick-build medium explorer to compliment to Ambassador.

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll say again, the Excelsiors used and seen in the TNG and DS9 eps are probably the newest versions of the Excelsior Class. New internal stuff and guts, same external hull.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, but they do have the external appearance of the ILM (ST:VI) or recently Greg Jein's ("Flashback") Excelsior. Both miniatures represent the first production Excelsior.

Do we all agree that Starfleet don't build any more Excelsiors? So, obviously, they would refit the existing ships with the latest kit (where possible/feasible).

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps