Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Phaser speculation...

Author Topic: Phaser speculation...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read and reread the ST-TNG tech manual on how phasers work. I have concluded that phaser beams are not composed of nadions, rapid or slow. From the description given, I conclude that the rapid nadion effect (RNE) allows very large amounts of energy to be stored and released from a fushigi-no-umi (FNU) crystal in very short time periods. The RNE does not, however, leave the crystal itself.

The FNU crystals (again, by the description) are what the prechamber and emitter of the phaser are made of. Both are composed of LiCu 518. In addition to enabling the rapid storage and release of energy without melting or disintegrating the FNU crystals, the RNE also enables the conversion of the energy to a type other than that introduced into the prefire chamber.

The prefire chamber accepts the incoming energy, used to create the beam. It then hands off the energy to the emitter crystal, which alters the type of energy passing through it and sends it on its way as a beam. I presume that the emitter is tuned, perhaps by a combination of electrical field strength and frequency. Directional control is very likely effected by a static electrical or magnetic field, just like an electron gun in a cathode ray tube.

There seems to be some confusion that the nuclear disruption force (NDF) a phaser has at high energy levels is "proof" that the beam is composed of rapid nadion particles. I believe the RNE does have something to do with the NDF, but not that the beam is composed of nadions.

What I have said above is not meant to imply that the phaser is simply a powerful, highly tunable laser in a compact package. Although it can do everything a laser can, it has far more capability. There must be a reason for this, and I submit the following theory to explain it:

<Speculation>There is one component of a phaser's beam that has not been mentioned up to this point, and it allows the phaser to perform feats no laser can. A phaser beam consists of a stream of photons plus a subspace field that surrounds the beam itself. This beam is helically polarized and propagates at warp factor one, the speed of light. Call it a subspace confinement field (SCF).

The SCF controls the spread of the phaser beam, preventing the beam from diverging and losing energy the way an ordinary laser beam would. Laser beams used to measure the distance from the Earth to the Moon during the 1970s started out at approximately 0.25" (~6.25mm) in diameter. By the time the beam had reached the moon, it had diverged to approximately 3' (~1M) in diameter. The energy in that beam was spread out over an area more than 20,000 times as large as the original beam. Phasers don't diverge (at least until the beam hits something).

If the SCF is tuned to shape a cone, then you have a wide-dispersal pattern, not unlike the wide stun feature of a hand phaser. At extremely high energy levels, the SCF interacts with the photon stream to produce a disintegrating effect that shifts matter from the target into alternate dimensions.

So how does the phaser do all it's different effects? More speculation:

• Stun effects: The beam is tuned to radio frequencies (RF) known to interfere with voluntary nerve impulses in most (known) humanoid species. I guess being hit by a phaser on stun might feel about like hitting your funny bone, only over most of your body.

The heavy stun setting is probably a higher power setting that increases the length of time the target remains stunned, at the risk of interfering with involuntary nervous functions (such as breathing or heartbeat).

• "Kill" setting: Same as the stun setting, except power levels are calculated to have a lethal effect.

• Heat: The RF output is tuned to infra-red frequencies most likely to induce heat in the target. Power levels are probably adjustable for the heat settings as well, to allow selection of effects mild enough to warm a hypothermia victim or high enough to melt metals.

• Disrupt: This setting may or may not be a high-energy heat setting. Since it doesn't disintegrate the target, it might be almost any frequency just below the energy level required to disintegrate matter.

• Disintegrate: Energy levels are high enough to trigger interaction between the photon stream, SCF, and the target matter. Matter is translated to alternate dimensions very rapidly.

Why does a phaser beam glow? It's because even at low power settings the SCF captures subspace energy and redirects it into the N-space environment. The amount of energy released by this means is insignificant compared to the energy in the beam itself, however.</Speculation>

So what do you think? If the above passes muster I think I can finally do that VLV article about phasers I've been talking about.

--Baloo

------------------
Carpe Canem!

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not one single problem noted on my end.

------------------
I'm the only one who understands me, and I ire of my company.
--Paul Cargile

[This message was edited by Cargile on March 19, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. A lot.

However...I still cling to the idea of phasers using particle beams. I'll try to come up with a reasoned defense for this.

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds really good to me, Baloo. It's alot more logical than what TPTB would have us believe.

------------------
Risk is our business! That's what this starship is all about....that's why we're aboard her!"

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert, you don't feel like writing (and including in it all you've written here) the technical commentary on how phasers work, for my website do you? It'd save me some time. . . 8)
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The First One: Let me know what information you want to include. If I can, I'll include all the info in the VLV file, and send you a copy with permission to use it.

If you want it in a different style, it all depends upon how much extra work it'll be to revise it.

--Baloo

PS: I'm not going to start the new VLV file until I'm sure I've gotten all the responses I'm gonna get.

------------------
Carpe Canem!

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what I need is a general treatise on the operation of phasers. . . as technical as you want. Full credit given, natch. 8)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree w/ Sol. The explanations of the different settings are good, but I still think there should be particles invloved somehow. What if nadions are, rather than a normal particle, some sort of subspace particle? This would explain the need for a subspace field containing the beam.

Also, the glow could be explained as a result of the helic polarization you theorized.

------------------
"You're a looney."
-Graham Chapman, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, whatever the beam is composed of, it definately has a subspace component. That's the only way to explain how it can "transition matter out of the continuum." Whether that subspace effect is created by matter or energy is the question.

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

The objection I have to particle beams is that particle emissions energetic enough to have any immediate effect will ionize the target, possibly the emitter, and certainly anything else that gets in the way of the beam.

"Well, he's stunned, but let's wait until his radiation level drops a little before we take him into custody, shall we?"

Ever hear of "ionizing radiation"? That's the nasty stuff nobody wants to be exposed to because it will increase your odds of getting cancer and other nasty long-term health effects. I'm certain the Federation would outlaw "phasers on stun" (or any other setting) except in wartime unless it had no such ionizing effect.

A small arm such as a hand phaser would probably be used because it has no significant lethality unless you dial it up that high. Why use a weapon that makes everything it hits radioactive when conventional kinetic energy or photon weapons (lasers) can do the job without requiring the cleanup crew to wear lead BVDs?

When the target disintegrates, I have to either assume that there is no significant radiation produced by this process, or that the Federation is extremely careless about radiation exposure. Judging by the indiscriminate use of phasers on primitive planets, their only concern is whether they'll disrupt the local society -- not that they'll leave it permanently glowing. I therefore conclude that the phaser is as "environmentally friendly" as a lethal weapon can possibly be.

--Baloo

------------------
Carpe Canem!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Oh, I agree. Though a phaser beam wouldn't be made up of any normal particle. Nadions can be given pretty much any property deemed necessary...

------------------
--
They Might Be Giants

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Hey! Photons are particles! I do, however, insist that through the context of the Tech Manual's description, that the RNE is logically something that occurs within the FNU crystals.

You've heard of the photoelectric effect? How about the piezoelectric effect? Have you ever heard of photoelectric piezoelectric particles?

I ain't gonna believe it if the only evidence you can provide is "But I like the idea!"

--Baloo

------------------
Carpe Canem!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if nadions are subspace particles, like I said, they wouldn't need to give off radiation...

------------------
"You're a looney."
-Graham Chapman, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Fine. Seven of Nine specifically stated that she had inserted nanoprobes into the phaser beam in an episode of Voyager. How is that possible if phasers are simply an energy beam?

The Jem'Hadar put certain chemicals into their weapons to do things like stop blood from clotting. The effects of a polaron beam are very similar to that of a phaser beam. Hence, a particle beam, composed of the right "stuff" can have the proper effects without the very real dangers you mentioned, Baloo.

However, after rereading the tech. manual, I think it's pretty clear that the implication is that phasers are pure energy weapons. Where that leaves me...well, I'm not sure where that leaves me. We've had references made to nadion emissions being a part of phaser beams, mostly from Voyager, as I recall. Does that mean that nadions are part of the beam, or that they don't decay inside the phaser, or that nadions are also created on the target end?

------------------
--
They Might Be Giants

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is the writers. They're the ones who put nanoprobes and chemical agents into the beams. Even so, if a phaser is set to setting 8 or over shouldn't whatever is in the beam be it chemical or mechanical, be vaporized by the beam?

------------------
Risk is our business! That's what this starship is all about....that's why we're aboard her!"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.