Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What side of the road do they drive on?

Author Topic: What side of the road do they drive on?
monkeyboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remeber but do they always have the conn postion on the right side?

I remeber seeing many times when the conn mysteriously switched over to the other side.

Example: Fatih, treachery and the great river or something like that. Odo was seen to have been sitting on the left side piloting the ship while Weyoun was on the other side.
Then recently, Ezri is seen sitting on the left.

Musical chairs or was it just for a betterlook for the the conversations with Weyoun and Odo?

Were there other incidents?

------------------
I did'nt do it.

IP: Logged
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the 1701 was Left-hand drive, TNG ships have adopted Right hand drive. (And rightly so... )

Runabouts, I suspect, can have either panel active as "conn". It just depends who wants to drive, or which side the last person to use the thing had configured. (DS9 Tech Manual aside)

------------------
An unborn scream burst in my stomach,
and spread like cold mercury through my chest.
I covered my face with my hands, but kept looking through my fingers.
"Write that down!", he told the stick.
"Is visibly destroyed, yet unable to turn away".

- Blue Jam

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The OPS and CONN panels were also switched for "E@F."

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...And "The Naked Now"

------------------
"......"
�������������-The Breen at Internment Camp 371

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect that the control consoles are configurable to perform either function.

--Baloo

------------------
How do I do it?
I have an advantage.
I remember how to open a dictionary.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since the question seems to have been directed at runabouts, it's variable. I remember one ep (I belive it was the one where they find Ziyal) that Dukat was in the runabout and Kira (I guess) had locked out his panel so he couldn't drive. Meaning that both panels must have had flight controls...

------------------
"I prefer much more diplomatic ways of pissing people off."
-a certain anonymous administrator

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite frankly, I think that you could access Navigation from any workstation on the ship, provided that you have the access code in order to access the Navigation console. Cuz you don't know when Mr. Redshirt is going to be blown away by a panel explosion......

This does not apply to TOS ships, because, of it's keyboard-like layout.

But for organization's sake, the Navigation will always be located in a fixed position on the bridge.

------------------
I can resist anything.......
Except Temptation

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going to Monty's comment...here's what the DS9 tech. manual says about the issue, as far as runabouts are concerned.

"The primary flight controls are duplicated at the two forward stations, though the normal configuration is to have the port station set as the mission commander's controls, and the starboard station set as the runabout pilot's controls."

------------------
"I'm sick, like Nixon was sick, my defeated heart keeps beating on. I won't die, like Chucky won't die."
--
They Might Be Giants

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps