Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Jettison WHAT pod?

Author Topic: Jettison WHAT pod?
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old problem, never solved.
"Court martial" TOS

They jettisoned the "ion pod", where Finney was meant to be taking a reading on the "ion plates". At Red Alert it was jettisoned. So just what was this strange "pod"?????

------------------
An unborn scream burst in my stomach,
and spread like cold mercury through my chest.
I covered my face with my hands, but kept looking through my fingers.
"Write that down!", he told the stick.
"Is visibly destroyed, yet unable to turn away".

- Blue Jam

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing, and have always guessed this to be a n eva vehicle - maybe even similar to a workbee? if not something for maintainence - and at least on the exterior of the ship...

also, it could have also been a quarentined, hazardous area, separated from the rest of the ship...

it COULD also have been an alternate name for the bussard collectors - i.e. ION pods

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was a small add-on pod containing equipment that needed clear access to outside the ship that couldn't be provided ny the Enterprise's usual sensor inputs. However, it might have needed to be fitted over an airlock that would then remain open while it was there - say, the outer doors especially. The ion storm hits, the more-heavily armoured outer airlock door needs to be closed, but can't with the pod in the way, and the pod wasn't strong enough to stand up to the storm in the same way the airlock door could. Therefore it was jettisoned (with its own door, and the ship's inner airlock door, closed and retaining the integrity of each) and the outer door sclosed.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a "Ionenschirm" (= "ion screen") in the German translation. The translators obviously didn't figure it out either and made it sound like some kind of deflector screen or shield, although this doesn't make sense at all.

------------------
Early bird catches the gagh. (The Doctor to B'Elanna at 06:00, "Drone")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always struck me as curious, and certainly there never seems to have been any mention of it since.

But I can never decide if it meant some kind of sensor pod, or an engine component that would have become dangerously unstable in an ion storm.....

------------------

- Blue Jam

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya learn something new every day.

In my case, I just discovered that I had always misunderstood what was jettisoned. I always thought it was a warp nacelle and pylon, and assumed that "(mumblemumble)" was a technical term used to refer to it.

I really haven't seen that episode since it was first aired (well, not in it's entirety, anyhow). So "ion pod" was probably misinterpreted my my 10-year-old (or therabouts) mind as that long pod (one of two) that looked like a rocket but wasn't really.

--Baloo

------------------
Warning:
There has been an alarming increase in the
number of things you know nothing about.

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

Y'know Baloo, If it were a nacelle jettison, then it would have been TWO pods wouldn't it..

I'm moving away from the idea of an engine component like some kind of impulse reactor core. Without it they'd have been well and truly stranded in mid-space.

A sensor apparatus seems more likely. Maybe even the base of the ventral saucer "bump". Shields could be weak there, and the ion flux hitting its sensitive plates may have made it likely to blow up or something. TNG explanation: Since that decade shielding has improved , as have external sensors to the point where ion-measuring "pods" are obsolete.

Yeah, I like the sound of that.

------------------

- Blue Jam

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps