Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Excelsior Class Shuttlebay (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Excelsior Class Shuttlebay
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux and I got in an argumenton ICQ over where the Excelsiro shuttlebay was. I'd like to haev more people join this debate.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's on the bottom part of the ship...on the opposite side of the deflector.

Or maybe it's the thing on the rear of the ship...I've seen people say it's both

------------------
The Unknown Vulcan

[This message was edited by DeadCujo on April 01, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no reason it couldn't be both. Though I've never seen a good close up of the lower one.

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thought was always that the rear thing was a normal shuttlebay, and the one behind the deflector was a cargo bay.

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think it's the opposite of what The359 said, I think the thing on the top of the drive section is a cargo bay, and the shuttlebay would be opposite the deflector.

------------------
"It appears, Admiral, that we're going to be slightly delayed."
-Emperor Issisus

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the MSD diagram, it's in the impulse engines.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Rodimus Prime: "Don't panic. Stay calm until we know what's going on. Then we'll panic."

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but John Eaves designed that to be the imppulse engines on the Ent-B. I think they'reboth shuttlebays, the lower one used for cargo storage as well.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the thing on top has doors like the shuttlebays on the Const'n, and C-II, so I'd have to say it was probably intended to be the shuttlebay.

------------------
"About as useful as a narcoleptic rickshaw driver."
-James Lileks

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

Yeah, well so does the one at the back, except more so. Why woudl the shuttlebay doors be lit up? Also, when there is more than one shuttlebayon a ship, there are numebr on the door. Don't see them...

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... I don't think the E-D had numbers on the shuttlebay doors. The E-E doesn't. The Ambassador doesn't. Granted, the Akira seems to, and I think the Miranda might have. But that doesn't mean they all do.

And I was talking about the thing at the back. On top, at the back.

------------------
"About as useful as a narcoleptic rickshaw driver."
-James Lileks

Cougar02
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::YAWN:: It's getting late. Guess who? Told you I'd pop up one time or another!

--
Chris
[email protected]

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mirandas do have the numbers, and I think I know why. The Miranda shuttlebays are at appr. the same place on the hull, giving confusion as to which one would be 1 and 2 (depends on if you think of it left and right or right and left). On other ships like the Sovereign and Ambassador, the upper/farthest forward shuttlebay would be #1, and the one at the back would be #2. Unfortunatly, the Excelsior's forward shuttlebay is below. Of course, if Voyager really has 2 shuttlebays, then her second shuttlebay is below the first one (most likely). So Shuttlebay 1 would be the one in the back, and Shuttlebay 2 would be the one below.

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The E-D Had numbers on the doors... or at least, the AMT/Ertl model had numbered decals you were supposed to put on the doors.

Mine dried up and fell off, though. Bad glue?

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the Enterprise-D, I don't think the doors had the numbers on them, but the lip of the deck that stuck out from under the shuttle bay doors had numbers on them in yellow.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen the Galaxy shuttlebay door numbers except for those on the AMT model. I doubt they would be of much use for orientation when opened for an incoming shuttle!

No matter if it is called shuttlebay or cargo bay, the lower opening in the Excelsior hull is supposed to accomodate shuttles. I don't remember where, but I've read the Excelsior has 20 shuttles, and that's quite a lot.

------------------
I know engineers - they love to change things. (McCoy, STTMP)
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps