Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ultimate Ship List Postings (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Ultimate Ship List Postings
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because a ship is lost doesn't mean they have to reuse the name. I mean, if they reuse names, that's pretty unoriginal unless its a pretty famous word or famous ship. Last time I checked the city of Bozeman wasn't famous and neither was the ship herself.

Now, as for needed another Bozeman, I think its foolish. The Bozeman isn't very old, all she would need was a refit. That would just take a year. Now, as for Bozeman's age, if my list of launch dates for ship is correct or close to correct, the USS Bozeman was launched in 2266. She was lost in 2278. That's 12 years. Now, she never aged in the timeloop, since the time was constantly repeated. Well, she was found in 2368. If she's still in service today, that's 2368 - 2375, or 7 years. That means Bozeman is only 19 years old, or somewhere around there. That ain't bad, really

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a small town's name. It's not liek they use a lot of those. Maybe they did reuse it, but it was for a different registry.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that TSN's list got so much publicity but no one has even said anything about my list?
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because TSN has proposed all kinds of nutty ideas, whereas yours is perfectly rational.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Megatron: "Waspinator, salvage Inferno."
Waspinator: "Inferno blow up, Waspinator must salvage. Waspinator blow up, nobody salvage. Why universe hate Waspinator?"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perfectly rational? I don't know whether to be complimented or insulted.....anyways, Federation Shipmaster told me it might be because I have all those unnamed ships there, and you might think it's just Joe Creighton's list slightly modified. Well, I removed the unnamed ones, and there is only named ones now, save the Excelsior[/i/-class ship with a registry and no name, as with the [i]Constellation from Picard's ready room. Please take a look at it again. I hope it's not too much to ask.

------------------
Starfleet Corps of Engineers-Spacecraft Division
www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9266

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."
-Darth Vader, Return of the Jedi
"Everything is proceeding as I have forseen."
-Emperor Palpatine, Return of the Jedi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
359: IIRC, the Bozeman was launched a couple days before it fell into the time loop. So, why would they be building brand new ship of this class, and retire the class ten years later? Presumably, the Bozeman wasn't the only Sotuz built in 2278. If SF was retiring decade-old ships, there was probably something wrong w/ them...

------------------
"I KNOW I'm dense..."
-a certain anonymous administrator

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the dialouge indicated that the ship had just set out from port two weeks before, TSN. Quite different from being freshly commissioned.

We know that the Soyuz class was rather odd looking. We know that it is different enough from the Miranda to get its own class name, but we never really find out why. The DS9 tech. manual suggests that phaser strips were first tested on Soyuz class starships. I contend that the Soyuz class was a testbed for new technologies. Based on readily available Miranda hulls, the ships were grabbed during early phases of production to be used in experiments.

I would further suggest that the Soyuz was only meant as a stopgap measure, until a better design presented itself. Upon the construction of that new class, the Soyuz class was retired. That doesn't necessarily mean all Soyuz ships immediately were taken out of service, though they may have been removed from active service. Some, as Frank suggests, could have been recommissioned as Mirandas. Others might have just been pushed out as is, or given to various civilian agencies. Some would have no doubt remained in the hands of ship designers.

I'm reasonably sure that would cover everything we know about the class. Anything I missed?

------------------
"And though I once prefered a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me."
--
They Might Be Giants

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll reply to this, but let's do it in the continuation thread, OK? 8)
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.