Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Your favorite ship's motto (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Your favorite ship's motto
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am throwing this out to all the forum members. What cool quotations have you seen that you would like to see as a ship's motto? I have been trying to come up with one for a starship I have been working on, the USS Vanguard, NCC-65747. I once saw one posted in an earlier incarnation of the Forums. Something about "bloodied but unbowed." The contributor has suggested it as a more appropriate one than the motto the Defiant currently has. Anyway if anyone has any really cool mottos I would appreciate hearing them.

------------------
How many people does it take Admiral before it becomes wrong?

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One I almost took for the USS Ticonderoga.

"Let us not go gently into (unto?) the endless winter night." It's from a song performed by Rush.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://members.aol.com/captaincks/readyroom.html

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

CaptSershek
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one I used for the USS Galaxy was "In Xanadu did Kubla Kahn, a gret pleasure dome decree, Where Alph the sacred river ran.

That is the ship I command in my Star Trek club, BTW

------------------
Remember when we used to be explorers? - Capt. Jean-Luc Picard - Star Trek Insurrection

IP: Logged
Lindsly
Ex-Member

I have one-
"Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory." This is a saying in the aviation community.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like

"Fluctuat nec mergitur"

(It may fluctuate, but does not sink)

That's the motto of the city of Paris whose emblem shows a ship. If there will ever be a USS Paris, it would be the ideal motto.

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are quotes I've chosen for my ships...

Nightshade NX-79031: "I am brother to dragons and companion to owls." -- Job

Frontier NX-80426:
"A penny will hide the biggest star in the universe if you hold it close
enough to your eye." -- Samuel Grafton

Eclipse NX-94359:
"We confide in our strength without boasing of it, we respect that of
others without fearing it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Sentinel NX-98048:
"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has
seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Vigilance NX-98602:
"Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to
have a war, let it begin here." -- John Parker

Endurance NX-98099:
"It is better to have a lion at the head of an army of sheep, than a
sheep at the head of an army of lions." -- Daniel Defoe

Barrage NX-99021:
"In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance, my head is bloody, but unbowed." -- W. E. Henley

Destiny: NX-100498
"If I have not seen far, it is because giants stand on my shoulders.
If I have seen far, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants." -- Anonymous

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already love Voyagers motto

can someone remember it exactly, it was by Tennyson.

------------------
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
irrevocably." Capt. Jean-Luc Picard - The Drumhead

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'My' ship:

"Devide and conquer!"

USS Challenger NCC-71986, Prometheus class.

------------------
"Those that can, do. Those that can't laugh, at those who can do."

- Xander from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A people who would give up essential Liberty to obtain a measure of Security, deserve neither Liberty nor Security." -- T. Jefferson

"Don't Tread on Me." -- American Revolutionary Slogan

"And the Serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field." -- Genesis (Used for Covert Operations Vessel USS Serpent)

"...Like men we'll face the murderous, cowardly pack, pressed to the walls, dying, but FIGHTING BACK!" -- Last lines of Claud McKay's poem "If we must die" (Used in USS Invictus)

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is the one I was looking for. The one for the USS Barrage. Thanks Vorlon.

And for AndrewR Voyager's motto is
"For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see, Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be."

I personally think this is one of the best mottos anyone has come up (better than what Defiant got) but as they say, it is already taken.

------------------
How many people does it take Admiral before it becomes wrong?

Sirmaniac
Ex-Member

Because it is there.

. . . to the stars away from here.

jh
Ex-Member

"We choose to do this and more. Not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

- John F. Kennedy

------------------
"A screaming comes across the sky..."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my favorite one is already used for the Yamato, unfortunately:
"I have sworn [upon the altar of God] eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." -Thomas Jefferson
(For some reason, TPTB left out the part in brackets. Either that, or the Okudas forgot it when they wrote the encyclopedia...)

I used this one for the Valkyrie:
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon

------------------
"I fart in your general direction!"
-John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

[This message was edited by TSN on March 26, 1999.]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be left off because it's more commonly quoted without the God part.

Possibly because it can be confusing, especially when one considers that the phrase is explaining why Jefferson is opposing the establishment of a state religion in the face of the insistence of the clergy. (The full quote is "They [the clergy] believe that I wil oppose them at every turn, and they are right, for I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility towards every tyranny over the mind of man!")

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of my unused ones...

"I am made from the dust of the stars, the oceans flow in my veins."
-- Anonymous

"The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-- Eden Phillpots

"God save me from my friends. I can protect myself from my enemies."
-- Marshall de Villares

"In order for a war to be just, three things are necessary. First, the authority of the sovereign.... Secondly, a just cause.... Thirdly ... a rightful intention."
-- Saint Thomas Aquinas

"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread."
-- Alexander Pope

"In my stars I am above thee, but be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."
-- William Shakespeare

"Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground."
-- Theodore Roosevelt

"If we are strong, our character will speak for itself. If we are weak, words will be of no help."
-- John F. Kennedy

"You cannot conquer a free man, the worst you can do is kill him."
-- Robert H. Heinlein

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps