Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shuttle sub-classifications

Author Topic: Shuttle sub-classifications
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the classification topic seems so handy in raising tempers and increasing the number of posts, let's expand the field a bit.

Shuttle classification is even less connected to the real-world naval terminology than ship classification in Trek. The system of simple numbers or letters in place of holdover names like Frigate offers so much more room for speculation... So I'd like to hear everybody's views on how it all works.

We know shuttles in TNG are "type-6" or "type-7" etc. We also see a veritable parade of shuttle types and subtypes within no more than a decade of the late 24th century. So how the heck are the numbers so low? And what is the meaning of the designations "light shuttle" and "medium shuttle", or "personnel shuttle" and "cargo shuttle", thrown around in the TNG TM? And what about the TOS "Class F"?

I like to think that light shuttles represent one category where nine types have been introduced so far. Of these we have seen types 6, 8 and 9. Medium shuttles also form a family, although we have only seen type 7 so far. And cargo shuttles are a family, too, with only type 9 in evidence but types 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 undoubtedly also in Starfleet service or retired. Shuttlepods are a further family, and other so far unseen families can also be postulated.

So at one stroke, the number of available designs grows from ten or so (if type 10 for the DS9 shuttle is correct, and not another type in the DS9 TM) to fifty or sixty, which sounds more realistic. And the families in turn might be designated according to a letter scheme, explaining the TOS "Class F" as well. The colletion of families could then extend to larger craft as well, to encompass the "Class J" and "Class S" ships we hear about.

As for defining a "light" or "medium" shuttle, or the various "letter families"... Dread for the next post!

Timo Saloniemi

------------------

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In terms of Runabouts, I reckon there could be a family, with a small one being the E-E's shuttle from Insurrection, the medium one being the Danube, and the large one being the Insurrection Scout. Or should that be the other way round?
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scout was designed to be shorter and less roomy than the runabouts.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I like Timo's line of thought. I always thought it was kind of weird how there were only about 10 types of shuttles by 2375. With this logic, there'd be many more, and it'd make much more sense.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elim: The scout is actually a metre longer than the Danube-class. Admittedly, the scout does appear to be less roomy.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we've never seen numbers applied to any TOS shuttles, I assume that scheme wasn't introduced until later. The type-1 shuttle might not have been around until the mid-2300s. Prior to that, letters or something else may have been used.

Also, I think the types-6, -7, and -8 were meant to all be part of the same numbering scheme. The theory that the 7 is part of something else is valid, but I doubt that it's what they intended.

------------------
"Agh! Save me from the wee turtles!"
-Groundskeeper Willy, The Simpsons

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also doubt several parallel numbering schemes were the real intention of the writers. But that shouldn't stop us from amending the system when it clearly needs some reworking!

If "light personnel shuttles" indeed get a family of their own, with types 6, 8 and 9 members of it, one just might extend the scheme backwards to the TOS shuttle. Say, type 6 could be the product of the 2350s, with an unseen stablemate. Type 8 could be from the late 2360s, with type 7 its "medium family" stablemate. Then there would be a type 5 in the mid-2320s, a type 4 in the 2290s, a type 3 to serve as the shuttle seen in STV:TFF, and a type 2 to go with the TMP environment, making the TOS shuttle type 1 (which is what many people call it anyway). And the "light personnel shuttle" family would be also known as "Class F", to explain "The Menagerie".

The various TAS shuttles could go to other families - the "Mudd's Passion" one could be a "medium shuttle" (Class G?) similar to TNG type 7, or even a "heavy shuttle" (Class H?) due to its two-deck layout. Aquashuttles would of course get their own family. The shuttle from "Slaver Weapon", also glimpsed in "Mudd's Passion", could be a cargo shuttle or a runabout or whatever, or then the "type 2 class F light personnel shuttle" I suggested for TMP era.

Just say if I sound too excited about this

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps