next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » So'na ships

Author Topic: So'na ships
Alexander Delarge
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://design.archdev.com/yamato/misc/sona1.jpg
http://design.archdev.com/yamato/misc/sona2.jpg

These are compilation pictures of the So'na attack shuttle (sona1), and the giant collector ship (sona2). The attack shuttle pics are computer renders--for some reason the top and bottom views are different widths...the bottom view appears more accurate to me.

The collector ship photos are mostly of a huge model that was made for pyrotechnics...apparently not everything is done best with a computer.

Just thought I'd toss these out. I'm still trying to find decent pictures of the Battleship and Cruiser---the only sources I've found are in the "secrets" book.

------------------
A still tongue makes a happy life

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought they didn't use any physical models for Insurrection, everything was CGI. Why would they need a pyrotechnics model?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Alexander Delarge
Ex-Member

When I said "pyrotechnics model" I meant a model to be blown up. A miniature generally still looks better exploding than an all-cg explosion (perhaps a real explosion has too many random elements in it to look real in cg).

------------------
A still tongue makes a happy life

Pedro
Ex-Member

Because of the complex curves involved in the ships (and for various other reasons), they built basic study models, and used 3D scanning to get the basis for the 3D models. ALL of the ships began as physical models.
Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alexander: The new Star Trek The Magazine has a few So'na ships posteod.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again a ship design without any windows or anything suited to determine its size...

------------------
Early bird catches the gagh. (The Doctor to B'Elanna at 06:00, "Drone")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the magazine, Ru'afo's ship is 354 meters long. I got some rough figures based on that...

Ru'afo's ship: 354m long, 337.91m wide

Battleship: 836.73m long, 1,078.09m wide

Collector ship: 1,914.82m long, 1,222.91m high when the sail is in the closed position

Unless I'm way off, the Son'a ships are huge.

------------------
"And though I once prefered a human being's company, they pale before the monolith that towers over me."
--
They Might Be Giants

grb
Ex-Member

You're right, they do seem to be very big..... The Son'a's servantTarlac and Ellora must have been very busy building them. BTW, it says in ST:M that the Son'a gained a genetic defect after leaving the Ba'ku world, losing the ability t have children, hence becoming a "dieing race."

------------------
"How many people does it
take before it becomes
wrong? 6,000? 60,000?
How many people does it
take admiral!?!" -Ambassador
Picard during his command
of the Enterprise-E in the
Ba'ku incident.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the movie, Skin Guy's ship was about as long as the Enterprise's nacelle, if that helps.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Megatron: "Waspinator, salvage Inferno."
Waspinator: "Inferno blow up, Waspinator must salvage. Waspinator blow up, nobody salvage. Why universe hate Waspinator?"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
grb: So those who left the planet are actually the only Son'a. It wouldn't have been much of a difference anyway if there are a few hundred or thousand Son'a. Does the magazine say anything about the time after the Son'a had left?
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*wonders who "Skin Guy" is...*

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's my name for Ru'afo.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Megatron: "Waspinator, salvage Inferno."
Waspinator: "Inferno blow up, Waspinator must salvage. Waspinator blow up, nobody salvage. Why universe hate Waspinator?"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps