Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Intrepid Class Dropship

Author Topic: The Intrepid Class Dropship
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to many blueprints i've seen of the Intrepid Class starship, including the cutaway poster, this class of starship has an "aerowing" dropship docked under the saucer section. Nothing canon has ever been mentioned about this, but the ship was designed with this feature. Does anybody have anything non-conon about this? I'd love to see a close up of the cutaway poster if anybody has it (I haven't bought it yet and have only seen a very small picture of it).

I was disappointed that ST: The Magazine didn't so much as draw a line to it in their plan views. It really is supposed to be there.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been working on an idea for the ship for a while, based on the outline of the underside and the profile shown on the LCARS (which looks too much like a Piper Cub for my liking).

I call it the Electra. Not because it was supposed to be a name chosen by a female captain, but because of Electra Glide in Blue. Don't ask me why. 8)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I can tell of the cutaway poster, the cabin seems to be something like the very front part of a runabout. It appears to have two large windows in the front and these giant wings underneath.

------------------

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that it supposedly can go warp 3 or 4, something like that. Also, it's external design is supposed to be very similar to a Danube-class runabout. In fact, they saved the runabout cockpit sets from DS9 for Voyager just in case they would ever use the aerowing for an episode.

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: They wanted to show a test drop in 'Relativity', but they canceled it because it would draw attention away from the Ent-E Captain's Yacht.

2: I heard there is a Voyager comic where the AeroShuttle Captain's Yacht is used.

------------------
Life on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free annual trip around the sun!

=\V/=

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Draw attention away from the EE captains yacht!?!

Insurrection has been long finished... tsk...

thats like saying that the Shuttlepod in TNG takes it away from the shuttle in Star Trek V
tsk.

------------------
"Its a CLOCK!" - Sisko, "Dramatis Personae" DS9.

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did you hear about that part of "Relativity"?

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some specs on the AeroShuttle in the "Voyager Technical Guide 1.0", which is a quick-and-dirty tech manual made for the writers during VOY season 1. Parts of it have been seen around the web, and I do remember that the ship is capable of Warp 3, and -maybe- a crew of four, but I'd have to search for the original website to make sure. I've seen the manual being auctioned on e-bay recently, -somebody- should have a copy somewhere.

Boris

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC there are mere months in between the premiere of Insurrection and the first showing of 'Relativity'. And that droptest was big news on several sites just before 'Relativity' was completed.

------------------
Life on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free annual trip around the sun!

=\V/=

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Relativity" (and "11.59") has actually only just come out on video over here. It's now the latest VOY episode I've seen.

Sorry about changing the subject, but wasn't Voyager meant to be constructed at Earth Station McKinley? That's what it says on the dedication plaque. "Relativity" tries to tell us Utopia Planitia instead. What's the story?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Voyager was launched from Earth Station McKinley, and then transfered to Utopia Planitia to pick up Janeway and some final equipment.

That's my idea, at least

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager could have embarassingly stalled on its first trial run out of mcKinley, and was sheepishly shifted to Mars so it wouldn't be seen by the assembled crowd at the launching ceremony back there...

------------------
"You see, unlike you I understand history!
My name will blaze across the stars long after your petty treachery has been for-gotten !!!"

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

With 'first showing' I meant the first TV airing in the USA...

------------------

=\V/=

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You wouldn't believe this but I had a dream about this thread last night!!!!!!!

Crazy eh? I dreamt that I found a model of the intrepid class dropship in a box somewhere...

heh heh

Andrew

------------------
"Its a CLOCK!" - Sisko, "Dramatis Personae" DS9.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Glad to know I'm inpiring your nocturnal thoughts :-)

If anybody ever does find the site with the dropship schematics on it, PLEASE let me know.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps